Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McVeigh retirement

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Geez, I just watched the press conference.... I was tearing up watching Horse's heartfelt (and teary) words. Watching these two speak makes me so proud of our club....
    That was why Horse was going nowhere. A Swan ‘til the end

I posted this today in the reader comments section of the Melbourne Herald Sun article announcing the retirement of Macca. I thought that I would share it with you.

Macca is a fine example to not only Swans players past and present but also the growth of the game in NSW. One aspect of his game that I feel he excelled in better than almost anybody else was his ability to execute the dummy play before kicking the ball better than almost any other player in the game. He would just hold the kick till the opponent committed their body and then he would perfectly baulk them before inevitably finding a team mate with a perfectly executed pass. He did this expertly for years.

His example around the Club in preparing himself so professionally for games and general leadership on the backline was second to none. It is great that he will remain at the Club going forward in a coaching capacity. It would not at all surprise me if he one day is senior coach of the Swans.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sad to see him go but a wise decision. He definitely got the most out his aging body that's for sure.

I remember seeing him at the Lakeside Oval the day after the 2005 GF. He looked so disappointed and lonely standing away from the premiership players in a corner with a few other ressies. At least he got to taste that premiership glory in the end.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 1st August 2019 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks Macca. We are the richer for you being at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Sad to see him go but a wise decision. He definitely got the most out his aging body that's for sure.

I remember seeing him at the Lakeside Oval the day after the 2005 GF. He looked so disappointed and lonely standing away from the premiership players in a corner with a few other ressies. At least he got to taste that premiership glory in the end.
    Yes he did not play in the 2005 GF but did in 2006. He is the only remaining player to be still playing AFL out of either team from that fateful day.

He also played in 2014 and 2016. Thank goodness we won in 2012!

Looking at the 2012 GF team, with Macca retiring and the future of players like Smith and Jack also under a cloud it really is a changing of the guard at the Swans. It's likely that the only 2012 participants left after this season will be Reid and Kennedy!

Last edited by Aprilbr; 2nd August 2019 at 10:50 AM.

Oh McHack!! Hopefully we can get one last game out of you.
    Now who am I going to pick on??
    Glad that you'll be four years in the coaches box.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Yes he did not play in the 2005 GF but did in 2006. He is the only remaining player to be still playing AFL out of either team from that fateful day.

He also played in 2014 and 2016. Thank goodness we won in 2012!

Looking at the 2012 GF team, with Macca retiring and the future of players like Smith and Jack also under a cloud it really is a changing of the guard at the Swans. It's likely that the only 2012 participants left after this season will be Reid and Kennedy!

Parker was the sub in 2012

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Oh McHack!! Hopefully we can get one last game out of you.
    Now who am I going to pick on??
    Glad that you'll be four years in the coaches box.
    such a shame that moniker made an appearance in this thread

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Parker was the sub in 2012
    And Reid? Didn’t he play that day?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He certainly did.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've just seen that Aprilb actually mentioned Reid. My aged brain only registered Kennedy at the end of the sentence.

Yes just Reid and Kennedy left from 2012 along with Parker as Sub as correctly pointed out. It just shows how quickly squads change in the modern era!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast