Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Changes For Round 21 v Port

Veteran Site Admin
    Also really nice to hear Heeney speak so enthusiastically about Bell in his interview.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    In: Bell Rampe
    Out: Jack Rose

Emg: Jack Melican Rose Stoddart

Port unchanged
    Emg: Wines McKenzie Howard Mayes

Veterans List
    Arctic conditions here, very cold, strong winds, driving showers and rain, Saturday won't be nice, not sure I've got enough warm clothes to cope!

Will make for an ugly but interesting game played below the knees a fair bit I'd suggest.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree. His demise has hurt us in the sense that I reckon the club thought that they would get a few more high class years out of him. Injuries took their toll unfortunately. Hard to see him staying on the list.
    Right on, sadly. He was given every chance this year.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'm not sure why the 'experienced general' love for McVeigh doesn't extend to Jack. He is as wise and experienced.
    Jack and McVeigh were always very different types of on-field leader. Jack led by example, and one might hypothesize that as his physical powers have waned then perhaps so too have his on-field leadership capabilities because they were so dependent upon actions. If that is the case, the they may also limit his effectiveness as a coach.

McVeigh on the other hand has always been a do-what-I-say-not-what-I-do type on-field leader, probably because Captain Gumby has always been a tackle-shy outside runner.
    That the club and his team mates respect his leadership, despite this limitation, speaks volumes of his other leadership attributes, which may well help him to become an effective coach.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Jack and McVeigh were always very different types of on-field leader. Jack led by example, and one might hypothesize that as his physical powers have waned then perhaps so too have his on-field leadership capabilities because they were so dependent upon actions. If that is the case, the they may also limit his effectiveness as a coach.

McVeigh on the other hand has always been a do-what-I-say-not-what-I-do type on-field leader, probably because Captain Gumby has always been a tackle-shy outside runner.
    That the club and his team mates respect his leadership, despite this limitation, speaks volumes of his other leadership attributes, which may well help him to become an effective coach.
    Not a physically that strong, but hardly tackle shy I would have thought. Can remember him winning a number of holding the ball decisions

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Arctic conditions here, very cold, strong winds, driving showers and rain, Saturday won't be nice, not sure I've got enough warm clothes to cope!

Will make for an ugly but interesting game played below the knees a fair bit I'd suggest.
    I think poor conditions will make us a real chance tomorrow if they do happen. We haven't been too far off in recent weeks against good teams - and I don't rate either Adelaide team this year.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Kizza travelling emergency

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I think poor conditions will make us a real chance tomorrow if they do happen. We haven't been too far off in recent weeks against good teams - and I don't rate either Adelaide team this year.
    I'm not sure if the conditions will help us especially if we keep handballing in wet weather. Hopefully we adapt to the conditions.

Lovely article in today’s News Corp papers about James Bell (if you can read it behind pay wall - somehow I fluked it.)

Talks about major role Mick O and Chris Smith have had on his development. And Micky O’s generosity in spending money on refurbishment of the aboriginal hostel James lived in.

Plus ‘We had Goodesy (Adam Goodes) mowing the lawns and whipper-snippering.’

NoCookies | The Australian

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I don't usually read the Daily Telegraph but absent neighbours said we could have their copy when it was delivered, and that's where I found this story. It's well worth getting hold of it, and you can read it on the computer if you try The Australian as Meg says above, if they offer a "visitor sample" so to speak.

Here are James's closing words:

Telling (mum and dad) about my debut was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. ... I'm doing this for my whole family and I'm doing it for myself."
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234