Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 21 Weekly Discussion Thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Haha not usually this bad KT - but I must admit I've seen worse!
    MC, I grew up in southern Tasmania, and all thru high school got up at 5AM to do two paper rounds (no one else
    would do the second one, the houses on "the hill").... I know all about suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    MC, I grew up in southern Tasmania, and all thru high school got up at 5AM to do two paper rounds (no one else
    would do the second one, the houses on "the hill").... I know all about suffering...
    And the usual freezing day you’d hear some old fella say “it’s gonna be a hot one this year”. Lost count how many times I heard that laughable saying plus who could ever forget the Bridgewater jerry that some days never appeared to lift.

And that wind straight off the Antarctic that blew clean through you!!

Playing early Saturday in late June early July mornings was like torture for a young fella down there, week in week out.

Are paper rounds still done by kids? I did three different varieties of paper rounds 1. early morning deliveries to specific addresses; 2. walking around the streets blowing a whistle on a weekend morning; and 3. standing at a set of traffic lights with a barrow and walking up and down between the cars when they stopped. Seems like a bygone era. And I'm not that old.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Are paper rounds still done by kids? I did three different varieties of paper rounds 1. early morning deliveries to specific addresses; 2. walking around the streets blowing a whistle on a weekend morning; and 3. standing at a set of traffic lights with a barrow and walking up and down between the cars when they stopped. Seems like a bygone era. And I'm not that old.
    I don't think so. There's probably not enough people getting the paper delivered now to make it viable to hire anyone.
    The local newsagent delivers ours himself now driving around and chucking it out of his car onto the footpath. I used to
    make $15 a week doing the two rounds, and that was a fair bit of money for a high school kid back then, so I was a happy
    young bloke come payday every Saturday morning.

When your West Australian captain leaves to go to a Victorian club, you know you have an unfair playing field when it comes to player retention.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    When your West Australian captain leaves to go to a Victorian club, you know you have an unfair playing field when it comes to player retention.
    Depends on his reasons. Seems unlikely he's leaving for greater prospects of success. Could be he has friends or other connections in Melbourne. There's probably a stronger Italian community in Melbourne (especially Carlton) than Sydney for someone who values his heritage. Nothing to suggest he's got problems with people or personnel at the Giants. Which brings us to 💰. If it's money within the salary cap, fair enough. If it's sponsorships etc outside the cap, then I 100% agree with you.

Senior Player
    True but hopefully it's not to Hawthorn who have never been told by Clarko's mate that 'you can't have everything you want' and punished.

Senior Player
    I think the prospect of playing in front of bigger crowds every week and being immersed in footy 24/7 appeals to a lot
    of players. They want to be in the fishbowl. It is the one thing that can't replicated in the northern states.
    GWS have a bunch of guys just as good as Coniglio (Whitfield, Kelly, Greene, Cameron, Haynes, Ward) and another bunch
    (Taranto, Hopper, Williams, Himmelberg, Finlayson) not far behind, and none of them are old in footballing terms.
    I'm sure they'll survive if he leaves as appears likely.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I think the prospect of playing in front of bigger crowds every week and being immersed in footy 24/7 appeals to a lot
    of players. They want to be in the fishbowl. It is the one thing that can't replicated in the northern states.
    GWS have a bunch of guys just as good as Coniglio (Whitfield, Kelly, Greene, Cameron, Haynes, Ward) and another bunch
    (Taranto, Hopper, Williams, Himmelberg, Finlayson) not far behind, and none of them are old in footballing terms.
    I'm sure they'll survive if he leaves as appears likely.
    WCE have larger crowds apart from the very occasional marque game.

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2019.html

Having lived in Perth believe me it’s a fishbowl. I almost expected to hear about Pav’a bowel movements every night.

So the question is why Melbourne?

Its the elephant in the room that the media refuse to speak of and it’s obvious. It’s third party!!

Coniglio has business interests in Melbourne.

There's no doubt about it, the Victorian clubs have a massive advantage. Younger players in particular are attracted to the frequency at which they get to play on the MCG (the dream of most young boys), the opportunity to play in front of large and vocal fans, the additional media exposure which gives them benefits during and beyond their careers and the additional income they can earn through marketing and third party deals. This level of immersion helps them to get the most out of their abilities too. However, you will never hear the AFL admitting it because the big five Melbourne clubs in particular bring them so much income.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 9th August 2019 at 08:23 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Channel 7 showing the Winter Olympics if anyone's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Channel 7 showing the Winter Olympics if anyone's interested.
    GIANTS are clueless Skiers !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast