Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 21 Weekly Discussion Thread

#AFL Round 21 Weekly Discussion Thread

I wasn't sure where to put this but figured it didn't deserve a thread of its own so have decided to use it to kick off this week's weekly discussion thread.

I came across this excellent article based on an interview with Isaac Heeney: Isaac Heeney and the art of the speccy. There are a couple of good vignettes, one about his ability as a 12 year old. Another, the inside story on his mark of the year, when he was actually intending to spoil until the very last moment, and some tips on how to tackle effectively. But the quotes that captured me the most were about the team, including about how we don't "rebuild", and also about our evolving game style:

There's been a slight change in terms of controlling the game a little bit more. Because it's pretty hard to, week-in, week-out, grind out games. It does take it out of you. That's also got to be there, but a little bit more controlling the game.

I found this really interesting because over years gone by, that has been my observation of our gamestyle from recent history. It relied on the players working really hard and was hard to sustain. It was evident in the way that Horse never seemed to take credit or blame for our performances and just put it down to the players being hard and fierce for long enough. Anyway, the good news is that we are tweaking our style to control the game a little more so that we don't have to work quite as hard and wear ourselves out quite so much.

Thanks Bloodspirit. Really interesting article

pity the poor bastards going to canberra for tonights game. It could literally snow during play.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    pity the poor bastards going to canberra for tonights game. It could literally snow during play.
    Yes, I thought they played all the Canberra games early in the season to avoid the weather as much as possible.
    Must have affected Collingwood's draw somehow, and the AFL requirement that Richmond play as many consecutive games as
    possible at the MCG before finals.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, I thought they played all the Canberra games early in the season to avoid the weather as much as possible.
    Must have affected Collingwood's draw somehow, and the AFL requirement that Richmond play as many consecutive games as
    possible at the MCG before finals.
    I’d say Richmond will be 2019 MCG premiers to add to their 2017 MCG premiership.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    I’d say Richmond will be 2019 MCG premiers to add to their 2017 MCG premiership.
    I think you are onto something here Boddo. From 1987 until 2057 at least, all premierships won by Vic teams should be
    referred to as "MCG Premierships". Any premierships won by the non-Vic teams will still be referred to as "AFL Premierships".
    So for instance, Carlton has won 14 VFL Premierships, 2 MCG Premierships and 0 AFL premierships. And we have won
    3 VFL Premierships and 2 AFL Premierships.
    Last edited by KTigers; 9th August 2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It is very, very bitter down here today. Real icy wind and almost sleet this morning. Did clear up a bit over lunchtime, but cloud rolling back in tonight.

Snow would not suprise me one bit.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

The Hawks have been gadding about - Isaac Smith in his jocks and Alastair Clarkson himself topless: Clarkson and Smith train topless as Hawks test out Manuka.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    It is very, very bitter down here today. Real icy wind and almost sleet this morning. Did clear up a bit over lunchtime, but cloud rolling back in tonight.

Snow would not suprise me one bit.
    So it's just a normal day in Canberra then....

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    So it's just a normal day in Canberra then....
    Haha not usually this bad KT - but I must admit I've seen worse!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast