Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Weekly Discussion Thread

Veterans List
    Teague to be officially appointed senior coach of Carlton. The 'training wheels' are off!

From caretaker to full-time: Teague to be named Blues coach - AFL.com.au

I think Teague and Shaw could be fools gold.
    What this Saga has told me is that having a coach fighting for his job ( like Bolton and Scott) is the worst sort of coach, as they are defensive, conservative and it rubs off on the players.
    Any coach is better, so the caretakers look good. But are they the best available?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    What this Saga has told me is that having a coach fighting for his job ( like Bolton and Scott) is the worst sort of coach, as they are defensive, conservative and it rubs off on the players.
    Any coach is better, so the caretakers look good. But are they the best available?
    Tend to agree , the pressure that builds within a club when a coach is in the crosshairs must be horrible . Then that pressure release once they are gone, massive relief. . Hard to judge the interim results . Have to wait and see next year when they have all the pressures and expectations of a full time senior coach , not a caretaker . I think in Teagues case at least he has a lot of experience and has done a proper apprenticeship . Shaw is the one who probably has a senior job a fair bit earlier than even he would have expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Tend to agree , the pressure that builds within a club when a coach is in the crosshairs must be horrible . Then that pressure release once they are gone, massive relief. . Hard to judge the interim results . Have to wait and see next year when they have all the pressures and expectations of a full time senior coach , not a caretaker . I think in Teagues case at least he has a lot of experience and has done a proper apprenticeship . Shaw is the one who probably has a senior job a fair bit earlier than even he would have expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But it must come to a point where recycling "senior" coaches comes to a tipping point. Examples are Walls and Pagan where they produced nothing in the end. I think Teague has a better chance of success, as I see it North has a fair bit of rebuilding to do. To me Melbourne is the club that is in all sorts of strife. Their expressionless coach doesn't inspire no matter how much of a good bloke he is. Once the Roos factor ebbed away their demise was swift.

Dees drop down has been dramatic. Surely they’ll go better next year. You wonder if our 2017 season could have gone the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Teague to be officially appointed senior coach of Carlton. The 'training wheels' are off!

From caretaker to full-time: Teague to be named Blues coach - AFL.com.au
    Now I wonder if the timing has anything to do with Stephen Coniglio’s decisión making?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Dees drop down has been dramatic. Surely they’ll go better next year. You wonder if our 2017 season could have gone the same way?
    Disregarding the hype, our drop is almost as dramatic:

2018 End of H&A.. Melb 5th, Sydney 6th
    2019 20 rounds: Melbourne 17th (-12). Sydney 15th (-9)

Disregarding the hype, our drop is almost as dramatic:

2018 End of H&A.. Melb 5th, Sydney 6th
    2019 20 rounds: Melbourne 17th (-12). Sydney 15th (-9)
    Nah. We limped into finals and were blown away in the first week after an abject showing and were widely tipped to fall out of the 8 this year. Melbourne stormed to a prelim before being shown the door and were regarded as being a flag contender this year and coming into their prime. The numbers you've selected don't tell the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Heard Jarry Roughead's retirement press conference this morning & glad he is getting a farewell game this weekend. He mentioned his favourite footy moment which gave him the most pleasure, was the bone crunching tackle he laid on Daniel Hannebery at the start of the 2014 GF, which signalled their intent to revenge their 2012 GF loss to us. Hawks supporters then ringing up saying it was a memorable moment they haven't forgotten. Hanners was definitely a targeted man by the Hawks.
    Yeah good on him. Nothing but a weak, pathetic, gutless, @@@@@.
    He hung back and waited until the player who actually went and got the ball was totally unprotected and he then crunched a player who couldn't defend himself. Such a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Now I wonder if the timing has anything to do with Stephen Coniglio’s decisión making?
    You're not the only one wondering about this: Rightly or wrongly, the Blues were backed into a corner on Teague. Interesting article suggesting that maybe the Blues board was backed into a corner about selecting Teague.

Veterans List
    Like Roos?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Like Roos?
    Are you suggesting Roos was a bad coach ?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast