Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    not really surprising. I never liked Ross the boss - he comes across to me as a mean individual.
    That’s why I don’t like him either, despite his role in 2005.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    I don't get the Ross Lyon hate. Particularly amongst Sydney supporters. Ross was a key player in our 2005 premiership success. I would argue that without him there is no 2005 flag.
    I think it's the "I don't really care what you think, because you don't know anything" vibe he gives off that doesn't endear him
    to the footy public. But clearly us, and the St Kilda & Freo organisations liked and rated him for a pretty extensive period all up.
    He has been part of the footy coaching landscape for a long time. He was extremely unlucky not to win a flag with the Saints in
    2010, and he was a big part of 2005 with us. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another gig actually.

I agree Ross comes across as mean and/or a bully and this means I don't like him that much. Plus his teams play a defensive, negative style of footy which does bring joy to the heart. However, most of the players he has coached are passionately loyal to him and I completely accept he gave us good service and I'm grateful for that. Actually I'm surprised how little of his career was at Sydney. Taking only his coaching career (and not his playing years) he has been at 5 clubs over 24 years and spent just 3 years at Sydney from 2004-2006.

Veterans List
    I don't get the Ross Lyon hate. Particularly amongst Sydney supporters. Ross was a key player in our 2005 premiership success. I would argue that without him there is no 2005 flag.
    His record as head coach at Freo does not back up that claim.....maybe he was a better assistant coach than he is a head coach.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 20th August 2019 at 05:20 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    His record as head coach at Freo does not back up that claim.....maybe he was a better assistant coach than he is a head coach.
    Knows how to coach and win. Melbourne could use him but may not have the stomach for his honesty.

He had his role in the coaches box, but there were many others who had a role. And since taking the senior reigns at various clubs, he simply doesn’t endear himself.

I’d probably have a greater Swans association for him for the fact that his dad Maurie played 4 games for South in 1953.

Get him to GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Get him to GWS.
    Good idea , reckon he could take them to a GF. He does quite well with a decent list at his disposal. Cameron doesn’t seem to be any good..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Agree also, they need a grumpy old bugger like Ross.

[QUOTE=stevoswan;783603]His record as head coach at Freo does not back up that claim.....maybe he was a better assistant coach than he is a head coach.[/QUO
    You could argue that he was very very unlucky NOT to win a flag at St kilda.
    In 2009, If a Hawkins goal is called a point (as it should have been) and Stkilda are up by 2 goals at 3/4 time. Totally different game at that point. Even Scarletts toe tap to Ablett that resulted in Chapmans goal would have only put Geelong up by a point, and Stkilda scored a point at with less than 30 seconds to go.
    Then 2010 a cruel unlucky bounce denied St Kilda a certain goal, and a certain win.

Freo players choked it up in 2013. Ross can't be held accountable for players like Ballantyne, Suban, Crowley, Pavlich & Fyfe all contributing to a half time score of 1-6-12

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    ‘THE AFL has made a stunning interpretation change to the studs-up rule less than 24 hours after it was blasted by Richmond coach Damien Hardwick.

Tigers forward Jack Riewoldt was penalised twice for using his studs in a marking contest during Sunday's win over West Coast.

While the AFL said both decisions were correct, they have made an immediate change to the interpretation of the rule ahead of round 23. ‘

So ... Hardwick complains, AFL change the rule. H’mmm Longmire, time for more complaining?

The AFL has made a stunning interpretation change to the studs-up rule Rule change stunner: AFL relaxes interpretation to studs-up rule - AFL.com.au
    I don't understand why players are taking marks with their studs out. Isn't the proper technique to raise your knee?
    And in one of the Riewoldt incidents he actually kicked out which I think should be illegal.

Veterans List
    In 2009, If a Hawkins goal is called a point (as it should have been) and Stkilda are up by 2 goals at 3/4 time. Totally different game at that point. Even Scarletts toe tap to Ablett that resulted in Chapmans goal would have only put Geelong up by a point, and Stkilda scored a point at with less than 30 seconds to go.
    Then 2010 a cruel unlucky bounce denied St Kilda a certain goal, and a certain win.

Freo players choked it up in 2013. Ross can't be held accountable for players like Ballantyne, Suban, Crowley, Pavlich & Fyfe all contributing to a half time score of 1-6-12
    Yes. I sort of forgot about St Kilda.....very unlucky. He could be a 2-3 times premiership coach by now I guess.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast