Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Weekly Discussion Thread

Senior Player
    Seem to be strong rumours that the Hawks are after Jon Patton:

General soreness: Patton sits out as Hawks hover

I can't figure out the Giants. Seems like they've been given every chance to succeed and then some by the AFL yet they can't retain players, can't win the big games. Is it the coach/coaching staff, the lack of a strong identity or club culture, something else?

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Seem to be strong rumours that the Hawks are after Jon Patton:

General soreness: Patton sits out as Hawks hover

I can't figure out the Giants. Seems like they've been given every chance to succeed and then some by the AFL yet they can't retain players, can't win the big games. Is it the coach/coaching staff, the lack of a strong identity or club culture, something else?
    A peripheral view looks like that, but behind the scenes they are handicapped out of contention.
    The early reduction of their cap has desimated their list. I'd you put together a team of players who they couldnt retain, against the current list, the leavers would win easily.
    All the draft picks in the world won't make you good if they don't stick around.

The AFL, again led by the media, has crippled them.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You couldn't write Vic bias more clearly than the overturning of the Toby Greene rule as soon as a Vic player gets penalised for it.
    Didn't Toby get fined last year or the year before for this? Are the AFL going to pay him back his fine money?

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Didn't Toby get fined last year or the year before for this? Are the AFL going to pay him back his fine money?
    Toby’s were straight up karate kicks , front on and dangerous . Some not even in marking contests , or with him having even leapt off the ground . Completely different , they brought the rule in because of Greene , and should’ve been much clearer in how it would was to be interpreted .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Toby’s were straight up karate kicks , front on and dangerous . Some not even in marking contests , or with him having even leapt off the ground . Completely different , they brought the rule in because of Greene , and should’ve been much clearer in how it would was to be interpreted .

The rule now reads that you get penalised depending on what the other player is doing which you have no control over.
    Protecting your space with your foot. Opponents back to you: ok.
    Opponent facing you: penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The rule now reads that you get penalised depending on what the other player is doing which you have no control over.
    Protecting your space with your foot. Opponents back to you: ok.
    Opponent facing you: penalty.
    Seems pretty clear. And fair. The Riewoldt decision was ridiculous. What Greene was doing was far more dangerous.

Senior Player
    …. and putting your knees into the back of someone's neck or head when taking Mark Of The Year will win you a car !

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    …. and putting your knees into the back of someone's neck or head when taking Mark Of The Year will win you a car !
    If you want to open that can of worms , should we ban tackling too ? It’s a dangerous game , Greene was doing something not really seems before in AFL that wasn’t in the spirit of the game and potentially dangerous . They changed the rules to get rid of it. The rules weren’t clear enough and now they have clarified them accordingly. I understand the angst that it’s because a big Melbourne Club complained , but I don’t think anyone really wants to see high flying marking outlawed. It’s arguable the best and most unique part of our game .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Seems pretty clear. And fair. The Riewoldt decision was ridiculous. What Greene was doing was far more dangerous.
    Riewoldt pushed opponent in the back with studs. Reckon they were both frees. Leave as is. Not that many players do that.

The actions of Greene and Reiwolt in isolation are identical. The new different interpretation of the rule makes one act a penalty and one act not, but only based on what the opponent does. Its crazy.
    Penalise both, or neither.

But the rule is not the worst part of this. Its the Anti-northern expansion sentiment that started the rule in the first place, and the pro-victorian sentiment that has now refined it.
    Tail wagging the dog.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Riewoldt pushed opponent in the back with studs. Reckon they were both frees. Leave as is. Not that many players do that.
    Both times the leg was outstretched. So he has come from behind with the intention of using his feet. Also he didn't take one of the marks which could have been interpreted as an unrealistic attempt.

Senior Player
    I think picking on Toby has become a national sport in itself, and the AFL got sucked into it. The last couple of weeks while his
    team mates have barely given a yelp, he is the one guy in that team who will just not lie down. They should make him captain.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast