Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Weekly Discussion Thread

#AFL Round 22 Weekly Discussion Thread

Heard Jarry Roughead's retirement press conference this morning & glad he is getting a farewell game this weekend. He mentioned his favourite footy moment which gave him the most pleasure, was the bone crunching tackle he laid on Daniel Hannebery at the start of the 2014 GF, which signalled their intent to revenge their 2012 GF loss to us. Hawks supporters then ringing up saying it was a memorable moment they haven't forgotten. Hanners was definitely a targeted man by the Hawks.

Veterans List
    I'll never forgive him for that tackle and always thought Roughead was a bit 'up himself' throughout his career. Cudos to him in his fight against cancer but he can enjoy his last game and then quietly fade away into oblivion as far as I'm concerned....he won't be missed by me.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I'll never forgive him for that tackle and always thought Roughead was a bit 'up himself' throughout his career. Cudos to him in his fight against cancer but he can enjoy his last game and then quietly fade away into oblivion as far as I'm concerned....he won't be missed by me.
    +1

Don’t watch much afl anymore but when I have and when I used to I was always amazed to hear this “he’s a great bloke” thing or “everyone loves him”. Listening to him in interviews he sounded like an absolute flog who was so far up himeself he shoulda been inside out.

Senior Player
    Yes, The Great Bloke. I highly recommend people read Titus O'Reilly's new book. It's very funny, and he brutally dissects The
    Great Bloke concept. "Everybody loves him" is a teammate speak for "no one can stand him".

Is that the title of the book:
    THE GREAT BLOKE ?

Goes up to 11
    Wow this thread should be renamed the shoot down Roughy thread or similar.

I've always been a fan as a player - I wanted us to make a play for him years ago. We ended up with some other bloke from the Hawks instead.

He displayed some real class a few months ago in giving on-field tips to his opponent in a VFL match. He's had a great career which he can be proud of.

Veterans List
    I never had an issue with Roughead until he was appointed captain. Then his attitude changed and he became a dickhead on the field like Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis.

My two thoughts on Roughead's retirement:

(1) Other than Buddy, how many other players from that draft will still be running around in 2020 and even 2021?
    (2) Drafting is an inexact science. Even high draft picks do not guarantee getting a good player. Richmond had picks 1, 4, 12, 16 and 20 and took Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattison and Dean Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    My two thoughts on Roughead's retirement:

(1) Other than Buddy, how many other players from that draft will still be running around in 2020 and even 2021?
    (2) Drafting is an inexact science. Even high draft picks do not guarantee getting a good player. Richmond had picks 1, 4, 12, 16 and 20 and took Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattison and Dean Polo.
    Deledio is pretty good but not great, and the rest were rubbish.

Veterans List
    I saw Roughead described as "The Peoples Champion" in yesterdays Hun.....seriously? Just what are these reporters on? Talk about getting caught up and carried away in the emotion of a retirement.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I saw Roughead described as "The Peoples Champion" in yesterdays Hun.....seriously? Just what are these reporters on? Talk about getting caught up and carried away in the emotion of a retirement.....
    Maybe a lot of that emotion stems from him overcoming cancer, twice.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Maybe a lot of that emotion stems from him overcoming cancer, twice.
    Good point....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast