Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Weekly Discussion Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Are you suggesting Roos was a bad coach ?
    How do you figure that? You said "Any coach is better, so the caretakers look good. But are they the best available?"

I'm saying yes, they often are.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Nah. We limped into finals and were blown away in the first week after an abject showing and were widely tipped to fall out of the 8 this year. Melbourne stormed to a prelim before being shown the door and were regarded as being a flag contender this year and coming into their prime. The numbers you've selected don't tell the whole story.
    To be honest, I think your sentences sound like vic-centric media beat up. Vic-club=good. Northern-club=bad. The numbers dont lie.
    Melbourne 2019 is what you expect from Melbourne (2018 is the only outlier)
    Sydney 2018 is what you expect from Sydney (2019 is the only outlier)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    How do you figure that? You said "Any coach is better, so the caretakers look good. But are they the best available?"

I'm saying yes, they often are.
    How often. Once ?

My point is, a caretaker coach is chosen from a list of 2 or 3 candidates (usually assistant coaches at the same club)
    A senior coaching appointment is taken from all possible candidates.
    If you take a look at this site: http://sportandhistory.com/research/...ercoaches.html You wont see many caretakers who went on to be house-hold names (bare a few rare exceptions).

To be honest, I think your sentences sound like vic-centric media beat up. Vic-club=good. Northern-club=bad. The numbers dont lie.

- - - Updated - - -
    The Vic media did not invent our finals loss to GWS last year. I was there. It was dismal.

Punch on, barry.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Vic media did not invent our finals loss to GWS last year. I was there. It was dismal.

Punch on, barry.
    GWS have the wood on us, and we don't play the small SCG well.

Looks like the biggest crowd the Lions have had for quite a while. Usually the upper deck on the right of the screen is closed. Today there's plenty of people up there. Hopefully they'll enjoy a Lions win.

Ripper win by the lions today. I can't wait to see us play games like that again.

And a ripper come-from-behind win by Carlton over the Saints.

As we won’t be in the finals, I am enjoying watching Lions (who will be), and Carlton (who won’t) who seem to have a new lease of life under Teague.

Veterans List

- - - Updated - - -

How often. Once ?

My point is, a caretaker coach is chosen from a list of 2 or 3 candidates (usually assistant coaches at the same club)
    If you take a look at this site: List of VFL/AFL caretaker coaches You wont see many caretakers who went on to be house-hold names (bare a few rare exceptions).
    Well, not a lot of coaches get sacked mid season so there aren't many chances for caretakers to get the job for a start but I get your point.

- - - Updated - - -

How often. Once ?

If you take a look at this site: List of VFL/AFL caretaker coaches You wont see many caretakers who went on to be house-hold names (bare a few rare exceptions).
    That list of named caretakers is hardly comprehensive. Doesn’t include Tony Franklin, Brett Scott or Bob Hammond for us.

Actually those “caretakers” weren’t for sacked coaches either

And even Allan Joyce, who was a caretaker for a non-sacked Allan Jeans, isn’t on it.

Go North! If they win we can't go any higher than we are now, regardless if we win next week or not!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Go North! If they win we can't go any higher than we are now, regardless if we win next week or not!

If Melbourne hadn’t been so crap as to not beat half our NEAFL side with a cygnet defence, no rucks and a second string forward line, Carlton today would have still had us a mathematical chance at pick 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    If Melbourne hadn’t been so crap as to not beat half our NEAFL side with a cygnet defence, no rucks and a second string forward line, Carlton today would have still had us a mathematical chance at pick 2.
    Yeah I know! Damn... Lol.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast