Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nick Smith retirement

Great player and great clubman. I hope he stays part of the club.

Regular in the Side
    Now that's a player ,Bit different to J Lloyd Smith could stop a player, don't think lloyd could co that

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Smooch gone - that's the end of an era. And so underrated. You'd always just hear that Betts/Rioli/Milne "is having an uncharacteristically quiet game" and we'd know why. I even went to a club post-match event when they asked Nick "what did you do out there today? I didn't notice you." Thanks Nick - who can replace you?
    Well nobody really. I thought Longmire's comments were great. How do you stop players like Eddie Betts, Cyril, Toby Greene,
    Steve Milne etc? You put Nick Smith onto them...

Probably the most reliable player at the swans. Always glad to see him in the side when playing against Rioli.

Smooch, what a legend. Every team needs a guy like him. Horse makes the comment about how he wonders how Smith slept on Friday nights - I would counter with how did guys like Rioli slept prior to playing on Smith! The guy was like a vice the way he would pressure his opponent.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Odd that such a wonderful player should get such little recognition apart from the Swans - and the players he played on!

Great career Smithy. May life after Swans be kind to you.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    Oh Nick Smith - I thought he might finish this year. What a great player he was (is). The embodiment of the bloods spirit. Certainly, not enough recognition from the Vic-centric AFL media.

Best of luck in the future Nick - we'll miss you.

always played to the best of his ability and played the game as it should be played - always hard and fair. Will be very hard to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Great player and great clubman. I hope he stays part of the club.
    Nick was well liked by the Academy boys when he did some work down there a while ago. He'd seem to be a great fit for a job down there and then progress

Smooch, say it ain't so! This is the end of an era. You will be so missed! Like so many here, Smooch was one of my faves. Love the way he goes about it. So unassuming and dedicated. So warm and friendly when I've run into him on the street. I'm really pleased he was recognised with an AA selection. He deserved it and he got it played a role where recognition is hard to come by. The fact that he was selected despite his untrendy lock-down role is testament to how good he was at his job. Really hope we can keep him involved with the club. Also look forward to hearing some acknowledgments from his opponents over the journey.

Senior Player
    Backbone of the backline. Is missed and will be missed.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    One of the absolute best. Huge part of us winning 2012 premiership.
    And that, deservedly, will make him a Swans legend!

Thanks for everything Nick!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast