Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polly Farmer

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I miss Mike. A bit testy but a good one. No frills, all substance.
    Mike could have been a great ruckman not just a good one if not for those damn dodgy knees. Polly Farmer was one of th best and changed the way handball was used. My father use to say if you beat him once in the ruck he would always find a way to beat you the second time around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It must have been among the deleted posts but someone was saying that Newman was a disgrace for saying that he had taught Polly Farmer everything he knew. I'm not sure if he did make a quip to that effect but Newman has certainly also made measured but generous tribute to Farmer's greatness and to his own debt to Farmer both in football and in life: Sam Newman's beautiful tribute to Polly Farmer | AFL 360 - YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It must have been among the deleted posts but someone was saying that Newman was a disgrace for saying that he had taught Polly Farmer everything he knew. I'm not sure if he did make a quip to that effect but Newman has certainly also made measured but generous tribute to Farmer's greatness and to his own debt to Farmer both in football and in life: Sam Newman's beautiful tribute to Polly Farmer | AFL 360 - YouTube.
    Yeah it was deleted and probably mis-quoted as this was reported ...
    “Sam Newman, Farmer's ruck understudy for four years at Geelong and one of his greatest fans, once told the Geelong Advertiser: "Without speaking one word, he (Farmer) taught me everything I know. I watched how a man overcomes not the physical, not the mental, but the spiritual – that's the most important."”

Sam may (& does) say some silly things, however, he often shows reverence for yesteryears greats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12