Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Demons v Swans Fri 16-Aug at MCG #AFLDeesSwans @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I was there at the game and at 24 frees to 12 they kept putting the free kick count up on the screen regularly for about 5 minutes.
    The umps have to see it and maybe they ease back the favoritism to try and make it look not suspect.
    What happened after 3/4 time was the umpires realised that Dees were not in it. The free kick tally at that stage was 22-11. Then they started to umpire the right way not AFL directed way. I believe the AFL directs the umpires to umpire against Sydney. Or certain umpires anyway. They are still punishing us for Bud

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    Melbourne even won the fantasy points 1557 to Sydney 1546!!!

Veterans List
    Sheesh, forget about the umpiring. It was rubbish - we OTOH were glorious.

What a brilliant response to last week - and yes, it would have felt better if we hadn't been playing witches hats (how godawful must it be to be a Dees fan?) but what great intensity, feeling and passion this young group brought to a game that they could have treated as an irrelevance.

Thoroughly looking forward to the next few years if we can add just a little more cream to the top.

Anyone else think Kizza is auditioning to stay on as the experienced Nick Smith replacement? Thought he was good last night.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Sheesh, forget about the umpiring. It was rubbish - we OTOH were glorious.

What a brilliant response to last week - and yes, it would have felt better if we hadn't been playing witches hats (how godawful must it be to be a Dees fan?) but what great intensity, feeling and passion this young group brought to a game that they could have treated as an irrelevance.

Thoroughly looking forward to the next few years if we can add just a little more cream to the top.

Anyone else think Kizza is auditioning to stay on as the experienced Nick Smith replacement? Thought he was good last night.
    Surely no one is thinking that? Totally cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Roaming UOJ asked Kizza about it last night. I think he implied there would be news this week, which I take to be a retirement.

Thought he was better than he has been last night, but should retire.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Loved the dance 😊.

I have to give credit to the umpires for using common sense and not paying a free kick because all our defenders went to congratulate Bell and they didn't get back into position in time.
    I wonder if James' apparent brandishing of an invisible weapon towards the crowd at the end of his dance will reopen old wounds for those many poor scarred souls who are still courageously fighting PTSD after their terrifying encounter with an invisible-weapon-wielding dancer in 2015?

I have it on good authority that James' invisible weapon of choice was a nulla nulla, and quite a big one at that, which makes his performance arguably the most dangerous and life-threatening dance since the Sharks and Jets squared off in the notorious West Side Story bloodbath match of 1961. Such is the reckless brutality of his actions that I guess James well and truly deserves to be mercilessly booed for the rest of his career every single time he goes near the ball.

Or maybe people have grown the phuque up and will take the hitherto unthinkable new view that a dance is just a dance. I guess time will tell.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    What happened after 3/4 time was the umpires realised that Dees were not in it. The free kick tally at that stage was 22-11. Then they started to umpire the right way not AFL directed way. I believe the AFL directs the umpires to umpire against Sydney. Or certain umpires anyway. They are still punishing us for Bud

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    Well why don't you gather your facts and evidence and take it to the Federal Police to investigate the corruption or better still demand an Royal Commission into the AFL.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I’m not a huge fan of BT , but he keeps it light and appeals to younger footy fans with his style . He’s the one commentator who tries to be a little bit different, and many (on here especially ) pan him for it. Can we lighten up a little ? I’ve heard far worse attempts at humour on here that don’t get the treatment they deserve .
    I don't know if Daisy Pearce studied journalism, or who trained her (clearly not the other commentators), but she is the one AFL commentator who can actually ask a good question. A question that actually requires an answer and elicits information. It is so refreshing to hear her interview players after the game.

The thing that drives me crazy is that it's not that hard to ask a good question if you put 2s thought into it. Here's a (paraphrased) example:

Most commentators to Aliir: "You were up against Max Gawn who's in great form, but you managed to beat him once the ball hit the ground. Was that the plan?"

Pearce to Aliir: "You were up against Max Gawn who's in great form. What was the plan for how to beat him?"

It's nearly the same question, except you let the player answer it instead of answering it yourself. Who knows - maybe you (and the viewers) might learn something!

I wish coaches & players would agree as a group to all go "grumpy Mick" or "grumpy Ross" and answer closed questions with a "Yes" or "No", just to highlight how bad the interviewing is. Maybe it would improve then.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I don't know if Daisy Pearce studied journalism, or who trained her (clearly not the other commentators), but she is the one AFL commentator who can actually ask a good question. A question that actually requires an answer and elicits information. It is so refreshing to hear her interview players after the game.

The thing that drives me crazy is that it's not that hard to ask a good question if you put 2s thought into it. Here's a (paraphrased) example:

Most commentators to Aliir: "You were up against Max Gawn who's in great form, but you managed to beat him once the ball hit the ground. Was that the plan?"

Pearce to Aliir: "You were up against Max Gawn who's in great form. What was the plan for how to beat him?"

It's nearly the same question, except you let the player answer it instead of answering it yourself. Who knows - maybe you (and the viewers) might learn something!

I wish coaches & players would agree as a group to all go "grumpy Mick" or "grumpy Ross" and answer closed questions with a "Yes" or "No", just to highlight how bad the interviewing is. Maybe it would improve then.
    Daisy is fantastic. Intelligent, insightful and humane

Veteran Site Admin

I thought Daisy's questions were cringeworthy when she started out in the role. All too often she would start with the "how" word used so painfully by whoever interviews players for the Swans' site.

I reckon she's improved immensely over the last couple of seasons and agree that her post match interviews are now amongst the best. The one she did with the three young(ish) Swans on Friday night was excellent.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I wonder if James' apparent brandishing of an invisible weapon towards the crowd at the end of his dance will reopen old wounds for those many poor scarred souls who are still courageously fighting PTSD after their terrifying encounter with an invisible-weapon-wielding dancer in 2015?

I have it on good authority that James' invisible weapon of choice was a nulla nulla, and quite a big one at that, which makes his performance arguably the most dangerous and life-threatening dance since the Sharks and Jets squared off in the notorious West Side Story bloodbath match of 1961. Such is the reckless brutality of his actions that I guess James well and truly deserves to be mercilessly booed for the rest of his career every single time he goes near the ball.

Or maybe people have grown the phuque up and will take the hitherto unthinkable new view that a dance is just a dance. I guess time will tell.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post

Even here, far away in Thailand, I was so frightened that I had to take a tranquilizer just to see out the rest of the game. Mrs L said I woke up screaming 3 times during the night. James better tone it down.

Easy answer is: Men are dummies. And male football commentators make dummies look smart.