Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kieren Jack retires

Veterans List

Kieren Jack retires

Swans tweet:
    Premiership player, All-Australian and former Sydney Swans co-captain @kjack_15
    will bid farewell to football after 14 seasons in red and white.

So good to see the son of rugby league royalty completely smash it at AFL.
    Onya Kiz.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    A great story, son of a NRL legend chooses AFL as his sport and becomes a most important player in a great era for us.

Don't let the past couple of injury plagued seasons cloud your memory, KJ was a weapon in our great midfield.

All the best to him in whatever he is doing in the future, Haven't heard if he'll still be involved with the club but a locally bred ex captain must surely find a role in the Swans future growth.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    A great story, son of a NRL legend chooses AFL as his sport and becomes a most important player in a great era for us.

Don't let the past couple of injury plagued seasons cloud your memory, KJ was a weapon in our great midfield.

All the best to him in whatever he is doing in the future, Haven't heard if he'll still be involved with the club but a locally bred ex captain must surely find a role in the Swans future growth.
    I think it's a shame that his last few. injury-curtailed, seasons have taken away somewhat from just how good he was in his prime. He added that zip and bite around the packs that our otherwise plodding midfield couldn't. His side-step was something to behold, as was his ability to duck under tackles, not to win a free kick for high contact, but as a genuine (and successful) evasive tactic.

He transformed himself from an undersized back pocket who couldn't kick, through a tagging role whereby he shut down some of the best midfielders in the game, to one of the hardest running two-way midfielders in the competition. In the early years of this decade, he was the midfielder opposition clubs usually tried to shut down.

Truly a career to be proud of for a man told by junior coaches he was too small, too unskilled, to make it at the top level.

Veterans List
    He also tells the story that, in his young League days he'd always be made fullback "because I was the only one who could reliably catch the ball". Great tackler, too - and who will every forget his great run in goal in the 2012 GF?

Senior Player
    Really early in his career, we were at Geelong and Kizza played on Ablett.
    Ablett ran him into the ground, while thrashing him.
    The coach aftermatch told us that he deliberately left Jacky on him, cos he'd learn more in that one day than in a normal year....And he did!
    Fantastic career, Kieren.
    Congratulations...and thank you.

Senior Player
    I've always liked the "rugby league mannerisms" that never left him. Like the little feet-together jump when taking a mark in defence, or the wheel-and-kick that looks for a second like it's going to be a drop kick.

Always enjoyed watching him. A fine career and I agree, let's not allow the last couple of seasons to overshadow those great prime years.

Only Reid and Parker left from 2012 I believe? Big changes but a bright future.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Only Reid and Parker left from 2012 I believe? Big changes but a bright future.
    Now you've retired JPK!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Now you've retired JPK!
    Oh! Did not engage brain for that sentence

actually I read it in this story and didn't take the next step of thinking "but is that true":

Swans great Jack joins the club's retirement queue

update - pointed out the error to the journo on Twitter and he fixed it, good on him!
    Last edited by neilfws; 19th August 2019 at 01:13 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Now you've retired JPK!
    I saw Josh was missing in the SMH article and wrote a comment but it wasn't published or the article changed.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I saw Josh was missing in the SMH article and wrote a comment but it wasn't published or the article changed.
    I found the writer on Twitter, let him know and he fixed it. Almost restored my faith in journalism

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I found the writer on Twitter, let him know and he fixed it. Almost restored my faith in journalism
    Thanks - I saw the original article posting time wasn't changed but see that Joey has been added to the team. I'd struggle to remember who was and wasn't in that team but so clearly remember Josh's grandfather's face with all those conflicting emotions. I hope we haven't lost too much experience too fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast