Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kieren Jack retires

Veterans List
    Kizza is a great story.....great career from a foreign sporting background, son of a legend who made the most of his talent and became a Swans legend in the process. All the best for the future Kieren......hope you sort things out with your family too.

Warming the Bench
    Great AFL career Kieren. He got the best out of himself and yes, I'll always remember his goal in the 2012 gf. If I remember correctly, his goal levelled the scores.

With KJ retiring it really is the end on an era at the Swans. Grundy, Smith, McVeigh and KJ. All stalwarts of the last decade.

Good luck with your next move KJ.

I join the chorus of congratulations for Kizza who absolutely got the most out of himself. Glad to hear people recalling his glory days and remind us not to linger on the last couple of years.

Kizza has a bit of special relevance for me because I grew up with rugby league and was a Balmain supporter. Kieran's dad, Gary, was our star fullback (went on to play for NSW in Origin and for the Kangaroos internationally) and just about my favourite player. So, when Kieran was drafted it was like a good omen and gave me an added sense of connection with the club. As an aside, another parallel I have enjoyed is that the club's unofficial (quasi-official?) mascot is Kenny, who reminds me of Balmain's memorable fan, Laurie Nicholls. Personality-wise not quite the same - Laurie had a bit more of a tough guy image (always wore a singlet, regardless of the weather, memorably including one freezing night in Canberra and used to walk up and down the touchlines, where permitted, shadow boxing) - but both devoted, older fans who showed up to every game and wore their hear on their sleeve and were/are recognisably part of the club.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I wonder how much of Kieren's fitness problems were down to being cleaned up by Easton Wood right at the beginning in 2016, before the sod went on to do the same job on Dan Hannebery, with no response from the umpires in either case. I still think Easton Wood sounds like a stop on the London Underground.

But that's history now, and while I'm sorry to see the end arrive for Kieren I'll long remember his contribution to the club, his hardness at the ball, his courage in taking on people well over his size, his modesty at his achievements, his fine example of how to play the game. Go well, Kieren, and it would be nice to see offspring to carry the name forward.
    Last edited by dimelb; 19th August 2019 at 03:57 PM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

The end has come for a mighty fine career - well done Kizza on showing 'you could' when plenty of people said you couldn't.

One of my favourite players at his best - and pivotal to our 2012 success too!

A real changing of the guard now at the club - time for our young cygnets to step up and take the torch and forge their own path forward. But as fans, we should never forget to turn around more than occasionally and remember those that helped create the path behind us. K Jack will go down as a very important player in the history of our wonderful footy club.

Kieran, cheers to you on a superb career - bravo!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Considering the retirement list I was surprised to go to the Swans website to find out the date of the Club Champion dinner and saw that there are apparently still tickets left. I haven't been for a few years but need to say goodbye to a bunch of legends - and meet a new bunch.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it's a shame that his last few. injury-curtailed, seasons have taken away somewhat from just how good he was in his prime. He added that zip and bite around the packs that our otherwise plodding midfield couldn't. His side-step was something to behold, as was his ability to duck under tackles, not to win a free kick for high contact, but as a genuine (and successful) evasive tactic.

He transformed himself from an undersized back pocket who couldn't kick, through a tagging role whereby he shut down some of the best midfielders in the game, to one of the hardest running two-way midfielders in the competition. In the early years of this decade, he was the midfielder opposition clubs usually tried to shut down.

Truly a career to be proud of for a man told by junior coaches he was too small, too unskilled, to make it at the top level.
    Great summary of his career. His speed was a great complement to our hard nosed midfield.

Veterans List
    With our poor centre clearance work over many years, KJ was one of the few who could create a clean clearance by foot. Most times he had time to get away a decent kick.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The end has come for a mighty fine career - well done Kizza on showing 'you could' when plenty of people said you couldn't.

One of my favourite players at his best - and pivotal to our 2012 success too!

A real changing of the guard now at the club - time for our young cygnets to step up and take the torch and forge their own path forward. But as fans, we should never forget to turn around more than occasionally and remember those that helped create the path behind us. K Jack will go down as a very important player in the history of our wonderful footy club.

Kieran, cheers to you on a superb career - bravo!
    Actually, mcs, you might remember something that I was trying to look up, since I think it was at Manuka? Kizza's first game: was he given the role of tagging Akermanis. If it wasn't his first, it's certainly my earliest memory of seeing him play. He did a good enough job, for me to think that he was very promising.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Well done CHAMP
    Thanks for all you gave us K.J.

Senior Player
    Certainly achieved plenty more than many anticipated . Over 250 games and in his most productive years was one of the best players in the competition for inside 50’s and could always be relied on to produce some great league style tackles. Great career for someone who was drafted in the rookie draft at #57

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Actually, mcs, you might remember something that I was trying to look up, since I think it was at Manuka? Kizza's first game: was he given the role of tagging Akermanis. If it wasn't his first, it's certainly my earliest memory of seeing him play. He did a good enough job, for me to think that he was very promising.
    Rd 18, 2008 at Manuka Oval against the Fairypuppies - during his breakthrough 2008 season (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...stics?mid=3493).

I remember the game pretty well. We started like a house on fire, because I was late getting there, so only arrived mid way through the first. Then they kicked 8 goals to 1 in the second term and we never quite got back on level terms throughout the rest of the game. My memories beyond that were of a very good performance from Ryan O'Keefe and McVeigh in particular - and that it was pretty chilly as it always is this time of year (looked it up - 12 degrees). Can't say I remember the tagging efforts of Jack, but Aker only kicked 1.1 and had 11 possessions, while Kizza kicked a goal and had 14 - so your memory is spot on.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast