Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 23 Discussion Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    A very off topic and 'scotch and Coke' inspired post but how good is Ashes Test cricket?! Been watching and sh***ng myself at the prospect that the Poms are going to stage an amazing history making comeback and win and then since lunch, three wickets to the Aussies. Just brilliant!

Not over yet but breathing easier.....three wickets to go. Got to get Stokes....
    We didn't get Stokes...I can't believe what has just happened.

We get two wickets not long after my above post and it looked like the Ashes were ours, with England still needing 70 odd runs to win with ONE wicket in hand. With Stokes in his 60's, Leach joins him and WTF!, they embark on a match saving partnership.....with Leach ending on, get this, one not out, his only run tying the scores and Stokes then hitting a four to win it and ending up on 135 not out. As I said.....WTF!

To add insult to injury, two overs from the end Paine ridiculously reviewed an LBW appeal turn down which was obviously pitching outside leg, leaving us with no reviews left and subsequently unable to review a howler from umpire Wilson (who should never umpire a test match again!) for a Lyon LBW appeal which, on replay and Hawkeye, was plumb middle stump! There's the Ashes RIGHT THERE!

Adding further insult to injury, moments earlier, Nathan Lyon missed a certain run out when the batsmen got mixed up, fumbling the return throw with Leach miles out of his crease. There's the Ashes RIGHT THERE AGAIN!!

It was unbearable! A classic 'one which got away' and which will take some getting over. An easy fix would be to hit straight back smash them in the fourth test....but a loss like that will be an extreme test of mental resolve. Smith will be chomping at the bit no doubt, so let's hope the rest of the team can ride the wave with him. I honestly reckon we are the better team from what I've seen in the series so far with a really world class bowling attack..... but we need to work out Stokes......he is something special, their Steve Smith almost. A real annoying Pommy bastard!

Go Australia.....time to show some Bloods spirit.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 26th August 2019 at 03:27 AM.

Senior Player
    Yes, the cricket was completely nuts. We threw it away I reckon. Using up the last review the way they did, poor bowling at the end,
    poor field placement, Lyon's fumble. We shot ourselves in one foot then again in the other foot, then a couple times in the leg for
    good measure. Tim Paine's captaincy in a sport where captaincy actually matters a bit is pretty average. Amazing innings by Stokes
    though, just incredible. We are the better team (assuming Smith is playing) so I still think we will retain the Ashes.

How about that cricket! Shame it all happened while I was asleep. And at Headingley too.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'm with ya. How could England get their lowest score since Jesus was a boy, and then win!.
    Watched the nightmare unfold. Stokes outstanding but annoyed me that with the new type of bats, mi@@@@s are rewarded with sixes, especially on the smaller English grounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Watched the nightmare unfold. Stokes outstanding but annoyed me that with the new type of bats, mi@@@@s are rewarded with sixes, especially on the smaller English grounds.
    Mis hits - got censored I think!

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, the cricket was completely nuts. We threw it away I reckon. Using up the last review the way they did, poor bowling at the end,
    poor field placement, Lyon's fumble. We shot ourselves in one foot then again in the other foot, then a couple times in the leg for
    good measure. Tim Paine's captaincy in a sport where captaincy actually matters a bit is pretty average. Amazing innings by Stokes
    though, just incredible. We are the better team (assuming Smith is playing) so I still think we will retain the Ashes.
    Cant agree. Tim Paine is an outstanding captain.
    He, and we all thought that the Yorker review was a long shot, but very unlikely to get another opportunity to review in the match. Better not lose with a DRS up your sleive. Its like leaving survivor with an immunity necklace.
    Upside: Win the ashes. Downside: almost nil*.

What happened was the umpires basically "put away the whistle" when it got really close. They do not want to give an incorrect call of out, and so would be very conservative with LBW's.
    It was just unfortunate that the LBW chance came up, Ump wasnt 100% sure, not out. Changes of that at the point of the yorker review is about 100:1. (see * above)
    Pain played the odds, and lost.

Just remember we dropped Stokes 2 or 3 times, and missed a sitter run-out. Thats where the blame lies. The wicket was doing absolutely nothing on day 4. Batsmen paradise.
    Played a sensational innings though.

Veterans List
    Ramps makes the All Australian squad....the only Swan to do so. Deserved selection!

Rampe makes All Australian squad - sydneyswans.com.au

Revealed: The All Australian squad for 2019 - AFL.com.au

Veterans List
    Cant agree. Tim Paine is an outstanding captain.
    He, and we all thought that the Yorker review was a long shot, but very unlikely to get another opportunity to review in the match. Better not lose with a DRS up your sleive. Its like leaving survivor with an immunity necklace.
    Upside: Win the ashes. Downside: almost nil*.

What happened was the umpires basically "put away the whistle" when it got really close. They do not want to give an incorrect call of out, and so would be very conservative with LBW's.
    It was just unfortunate that the LBW chance came up, Ump wasnt 100% sure, not out. Changes of that at the point of the yorker review is about 100:1. (see * above)
    Pain played the odds, and lost.

Just remember we dropped Stokes 2 or 3 times, and missed a sitter run-out. Thats where the blame lies. The wicket was doing absolutely nothing on day 4. Batsmen paradise.
    Played a sensational innings though.
    The review was silly in hindsight but probably ok at the time but I remember thinking 'we'd better not live to regret that', which we did. The run out was just deplorable but sort of understandable in the extremely tense circumstances but bottom line, inexcusable.

We had our chances....but one thing is glaringly obvious.....

.....and that is that Umpire Wilson is totally sub standard and lost us that test due to his incompetence. No one will ever witness a plumber LBW! Add to that, he made most of the ten umpiring errors in the first test and a howler of a review in the second test as third umpire......it was amazing he was let back on the field for the third test. He should be removed from the test panel.

Oh yeah, I also agree that Paine is an outstanding captain.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 26th August 2019 at 03:49 PM.

Veterans List
    Sam Murray cleared to play next season.....successfully mitigates drug ban to 18 months.

Banned Pie free to play next year after drug-test drama - AFL.com.au

Veterans List
    Back to the Ashes....I think Titus O'Rielly sums it up best in his review of the Port/Freo game......

"How did the Aussies let that Test slip?

I mean, it’s almost impossible to lose from that position without actively trying.

What was with the constant bouncing of Jack Leach? How about trying to bowl on the stumps to a tailender? Just wasted deliveries.

What about the constant allowing of Stokes to rotate the strike so Leach barely faced a ball?

Or the missed run out by Lyon? Or that bloody idiotic review? I though Shane Watson had the monopoly on those.

Then there is the truly supernatural awfulness of Joel Wilson, who somehow has carved out a career as a cricket umpire despite possessing none of the required abilities such a position requires.

It was a day of great shame for our nation and the English are right to mock us. This was like their Brexit, only ours happened on the sporting field, with something important on the line."

Brilliant as usual.....

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Twenty Three - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself

The funny thing about the test match was that despite stokes going the tonk, he was in no hurry to score runs. He had 2 days to get 70 odd. Therefore, ringing the boundary with players, took all the normal catching men out of the equation . He could tee-off, trying to hit a four and if it didn't come off, he would just not run.
    Hard to know what better to do, but a more conventional field where there was risk with big hitting may have been better.

Still, by the type of dismissals in that last day. (Outfield catches, runouts), it shows the pitch was very benign.

Still, by the type of dismissals in that last day. (Outfield catches, runouts), it shows the pitch was very benign.
    Yep benign day 4 pitch under no time pressure to get the runs whereas usually a 4th innings chase is on a day 5 pitch against the clock. Plus benign weather conditions compared with day 1 when Oz batsmen were playing in overcast dim light.

But as already said Oz still could have/ should have won. And it was brilliant batting by Stokes.

Outrageous win by the bloody Poms that rightly should have been ours.

The whole review system is farcical.

It should be scrapped .

Like the tennis, send close calls upstairs .

You couldn’t look away . It was mesmerising.
    Will remember it forever.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast