Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 23 Swans v Saints Sat 24-Aug at SCG #AFLSwansSaints @sydneyswans

That was our second highest score (109 pts) of the season (WCE 116 pts) and only the 2nd time we’ve kicked more than 100 pts.

Good vibe for 2020!

What a great way to finish 2019. Certainly enough happened today to reflect upon (Macca, Lizza, Reg and Smooch - what amazing careers, Buddy 300 Aliir 50) and also to look forward to.
    Re the future a few of my thoughts:
    - JPK showed that he still has it - parity in the ruck seemed to help for sure. Marshall v Aliir / Reid more even than recent weeks
    - Still on above, today highlighted what we can do at the contest if we can compete in the ruck.
    - I think I wrote off Ronke too early. Looked really good today and should enter 2020 full of confidence.
    - Dawson if he's not already will be a gun. The next Luke Hodge.
    - We got the best McCartain.
    - Reid might struggle for a spot in our forward line. If we don't recruit a KPD, that may be his place in 2020.
    - Papley lacked no passion. Even singing the team song! Paps, please tell the girlfriend you're going no where and that she will love living in Sydney

- - - Updated - - -

Lizza = Kizza. I think as good as Blakey has been this year, it's a bit too early to make a call on his career!

Veterans List
    Buddy off to have ankle surgery now according to Seven News......just hope he can do a full pre season.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post

- We got the best McCartin.

Or the luckier one......hopefully Tom keeps his head out of harms way.....definitely a potential gun.

Well that was a memorable day at the SCG that went pretty much according to script including idyllic weather and the club would have been chuffed. We all were. It was a like a feel good movie and the Saints contribution was genuine and moving.
    I did keep thinking it would have been a therapeutic experience if Adam Goodes had joined the celebrations : for him, for us, the club and the vast majority who support him.
    I get it wasn’t about him (and he’s not in the right space yet) but he was deeply connected to this group of retirees.
    One day .

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Or the luckier one......hopefully Tom keeps his head out of harms way.....he is a potential gun.
    True. Poor Paddy has never really had the opportunity to showcase his talents.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Well that was a memorable day at the SCG that went pretty much according to script including idyllic weather and the club would have been chuffed. We all were. It was a like a feel good movie and the Saints contribution was genuine and moving.
    I did keep thinking it would have been a therapeutic experience if Adam Goodes had joined the celebrations : for him, for us, the club and the vast majority who support him.
    I get it wasn’t about him (and he’s not in the right space yet) but he was deeply connected to this group of retirees.
    One day .
    I'm sure he was there with them in spirit......and in text on their phones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    True. Poor Paddy has never really had the opportunity to showcase his talents.
    A real sad story is Paddy.....he may never play again. Really sad.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Buddy off to have ankle surgery now according to Seven News......just hope he can do a full pre season.
    Longmire said he will be ready for the start of preseason.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    That was our second highest score (109 pts) of the season (WCE 116 pts) and only the 2nd time we’ve kicked more than 100 pts.

Good vibe for 2020!
    Another interesting stat: only the second time in club history that the very last game for the entire season is a win at the SCG-the only other time was in 1995 against Collingwood. (Other last game victories were at the Olympic Stadium in 2002, and at the MCG in 2005 and 2012).

We just got back home from the game. There was so much to love about our final game today (apart from the second quarter). We started well, pushed ahead after half time and finished the game well.

I'm stoked that our retirees got to finish like that and to see Smooch and Reg afterwards was a thrill too. Hannebery is a class act. He wasn't far from the Swans after the siren and I loved too how he chaired off Macca.

I feel as though we are stepping into a new era with so much experience out. It's up to the young guns to shine and we have had a hell of a lot of players out injured this year. If we can add the right players around our existing ones and knock out a killer preseason, then anything is possible next year.

Senior Player
    Aside from the second quarter, just a great day out.

Loved the crowd response when they realised Papley had dished off to McVeigh. Then you could see Jack edging up the ground thinking "I can get one of those too!" There's a great photo online of 5 Swans in the 50 and 4 of them pointing towards the goals as he runs in. "No you take it!"

Good day out for Buddy too, especially liked the tackle, HTB and goal. And McCartin was great too.

So we are done...feels strange, but a good way to go out and a lot of hope for next year. Days like this remind me why I keep coming back every new season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Longmire said he will be ready for the start of preseason.
    Yes. Horse said playing today was like a full road test of Buddy’s body. And that he will be back in November after his two surgeries.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast