Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Australian team and post-season awards

All Australian team and post-season awards

So the AA squad has been announced with Dane Rampe the only Swans nominee: 40-man squad for 2019 Virgin Australia AFL All Australian team named - AFL.com.au.

Who do we think makes the team? Will Dane? Many pundits have left him out.

Also, "Luke Parker, Dane Rampe and George Hewett have been nominated for the AFL Players Association Most Valuable Player Award." I am so delighted and impressed to see Hewett in that mix - goes to show how highly he is rated internally and I share the love - sometimes doesn't get enough recognition on these boards. Hopefully that will cease now.

What about the Brownlow? Anyone game to tip? I don't normally follow too closely so won't make any suggestions.

And, at NEAFL level, these awards were handed out last night: NEAFL: Young Swans star at awards night - sydneyswans.com.au. Rose and Stoddart made the NEAFL team of the year (always a mixed blessing because it typically means you aren't playing much AFL despite playing well at NEAFL level. And Rowbottom came close despite only playing 8 games. He also collected goal of the year.

I'm sure there's a lot more silverware due to be announced in the days and weeks to come. Add it here.

Veterans List
    The key defender candidates are very strong (remarkable that Robbie Tarrant couldn't even make the squad) but would have thought that Rampe's chances are pretty good.

Think Parker was awfully unlucky not to make the squad - Gerard Healy had a stat recently that claimed he was the 7th most highly ranked midfielder in the competition and his leadership has been outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    The key defender candidates are very strong (remarkable that Robbie Tarrant couldn't even make the squad) but would have thought that Rampe's chances are pretty good.

Think Parker was awfully unlucky not to make the squad - Gerard Healy had a stat recently that claimed he was the 7th most highly ranked midfielder in the competition and his leadership has been outstanding.
    Healy is the only pundit who goes in to bat for Swans in the Melbourne media.

It's very much a popularity contest.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post

Agree on Rampe. Surely he is a lock.

Can't agree on Parker at all. He has had a pretty average year (I'm not talking about meaningless stats) and would be looking at a massive lift next year.

Gerard's ranking stats prove how off they can be. As if Parker has had a better year than Neale, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Kelly, Cripps, Pendlebury, Macrae, Treloar, Bont, Dunkley etc. Even Zorko and Merritt would most likely be ahead of him.

Apparently the Rising Star award will be given this Friday. Sam Walsh is the unanimous choice of afl.com.au staff. Here are all their votes (which, to be clear, carry no weight and are not part of the selection process):

60 – Sam Walsh (Carlton) – 555555555555
    38 – Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide) – 444444333311
    35 – Sydney Stack (Richmond) – 444333333311
    19 – Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs) – 4432222
    8 – Oscar Allen (West Coast) – 4211
    6 – Xavier Duursma (Port Adelaide) – 2211
    5 – Cam Zurhaar (North Melbourne) – 221
    4 – Gryan Miers (Geelong) - 22
    3 – Nick Blakey (Sydney) – 21
    2 – Josh Battle (St Kilda) – 11

(The numbers at the end of each row are the votes allocated to them by different judges e.g. 221 means to judges allocated 2 votes and one judge allocated one vote. Each judge voted 5-4-3-2-1.)

Nick Blakey rates a mention but only barely. The award however is based on first year performance, not a judgment of who will have the best career. Amazing that Sydney Stack, who was overlooked by every club in the national draft AND the rookie draft, has performed so well. Good on him!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Apparently the Rising Star award will be given this Friday. Sam Walsh is the unanimous choice of afl.com.au staff. Here are all their votes (which, to be clear, carry no weight and are not part of the selection process):

60 – Sam Walsh (Carlton) – 555555555555
    38 – Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide) – 444444333311
    35 – Sydney Stack (Richmond) – 444333333311
    19 – Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs) – 4432222
    8 – Oscar Allen (West Coast) – 4211
    6 – Xavier Duursma (Port Adelaide) – 2211
    5 – Cam Zurhaar (North Melbourne) – 221
    4 – Gryan Miers (Geelong) - 22
    3 – Nick Blakey (Sydney) – 21
    2 – Josh Battle (St Kilda) – 11

(The numbers at the end of each row are the votes allocated to them by different judges e.g. 221 means to judges allocated 2 votes and one judge allocated one vote. Each judge voted 5-4-3-2-1.)

Nick Blakey rates a mention but only barely. The award however is based on first year performance, not a judgment of who will have the best career. Amazing that Sydney Stack, who was overlooked by every club in the national draft AND the rookie draft, has performed so well. Good on him!
    I saw a discussion with Leigh matthews recently and he said he would longer term choose Blakey over any up and comer including Walsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I saw a discussion with Leigh matthews recently and he said he would longer term choose Blakey over any up and comer including Walsh.
    So exciting for us!

Veterans List
    I'm so excited to see what young Nick will be like with a bit more conditioning by the start of next season. He's such a talent but is still a twig,

So would I.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I'm so excited to see what young Nick will be like with a bit more conditioning by the start of next season. He's such a talent but is still a twig,
    He's probably not going to get that much bigger, but he should get quicker and smarter.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I also recall Wayne Carey saying he would choose Blakey long term over other Walsh, Rozee et al. But he is biaed towards forwards :-)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I also recall Wayne Carey saying he would choose Blakey long term over other Walsh, Rozee et al. But he is biaed towards forwards :-)
    Sure he is, but Carey knows his stuff I reckon. He never gets too carried away the way some of them do, as he's never going to
    come across a footballer as good as himself. He is probably correct about that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast