Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 season review

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Well that cheered me up
    The Eeyore of RWO.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Overall, 2019 was a poor season. A few injuries exposed some very large holes in our list which should have been anticipated. We essentially wasted the mid season draft on a player we didnt play, while a number of other teams got ready made players.
    Coach speculation didnt help. The playing surface of the SCG was a mess, and our home record really needs addressing. Now at season end, persistent rumours of player departures is not good.
    We not only missed the finals, but never looked likely. We currently have a lot of players who 'could be great' but as yet aren't. Turning those into great is the next major challenge and by no means certain.

Hopes for 2020:
    Plug list holes, and improvement in players. Might sneak into 8 if lucky.

Long term:. Need to find the trade and draft bargains that have made us famous, as the list needs a bit of work.
    Sometimes, even often, barry, (and this is one of those times), I enjoy your provocative pessimism. My question for you is: what are the "list holes" you would identify as needing plugging?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    The Eeyore of RWO.
    I like it! There's a place for Eeyore. He's well loved despite his gloominess.

And I agree with others that beating the Eagles was our season highlight (not to mention a great afternoon at the footy) not round 23, although that was certainly festive and moving.

Agree that Dawson was a find but not a 'surprise packet'. Plenty of us were clamouring for him to be played and Jude Bolton identified him pre-season as a player who would break out and burst on to the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I like it! There's a place for Eeyore. He's well loved despite his gloominess.
    Absolutely!

Interesting review of us by ESPN. They got it pretty correct in my view.

AFL season 2019 grades for non-finalists

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Interesting review of us by ESPN. They got it pretty correct in my view.

AFL season 2019 grades for non-finalists

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Except it really says hardly anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Except it really says hardly anything.
    +1

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Overall, 2019 was a poor season. A few injuries exposed some very large holes in our list which should have been anticipated. We essentially wasted the mid season draft on a player we didnt play, while a number of other teams got ready made players.
    Coach speculation didnt help. The playing surface of the SCG was a mess, and our home record really needs addressing. Now at season end, persistent rumours of player departures is not good.
    We not only missed the finals, but never looked likely. We currently have a lot of players who 'could be great' but as yet aren't. Turning those into great is the next major challenge and by no means certain.

Hopes for 2020:
    Plug list holes, and improvement in players. Might sneak into 8 if lucky.

Long term:. Need to find the trade and draft bargains that have made us famous, as the list needs a bit of work.
    Do you simply wake up everyday feeling pessimistic Barry?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Nah, the AFL commission will review this policy and change it for next year, especially after Brisbane used it to their "advantage" to finish 2nd and it "punished" the Dees for being successful
    We'll probably get a 1-2-2 fixture: 1 top 6, 2 7th to 12th, 2 13th to 18th. The haters won't let the AFL give us the 1-1-3 fixture that is more usual for a low finish.

We'll probably end up playing 2 of this year's bottom-6 sides twice next year - and the AFL will probably make sure it's Melbourne and Carlton (two sides that beat us this year).
    If the Giants finish 7th (losing to Dogs week 1 is likely), that's one of our 7-12 sides. They'll probably make the other one Port just out of spite.
    And the one top-6 side we play will probably be Geelong. So we would end up with a tough fixture despite finishing 15th (playing Geelong, Giants, Port, Melbourne and Carlton twice).

Yeah, I'm not optimistic about the AFL. They do everything the haters tell them to do. Just look how much spittle the haters were spraying when we were sitting on the bottom and looking like having the first pick. Apoplectic.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Celebrate diversity and a different perspective.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He probably endured the horrors of the 1993 season. That would have left many scarred for life.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    He probably endured the horrors of the 1993 season. That would have left many scarred for life.
    Yes it would.....but I have endured every bad season from the 60's through the 90's and onto the 'good times'.....and I remain eternally optimistic!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 30th August 2019 at 07:20 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast