Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 season review

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    I don't think 2019 was a poor season, but rather a season that posed challenges and forced us to make changes via structures and playing our younger players and we have come out better for it.

As I said the new talent we played proves we are still at the top of the game in our recruiting. Yes we have a lot of players who could be great and the only way to find out is by playing them and having faith in them. We can't continually turn over players on a belief that after 5/10/15 or 20 games they haven't shown "greatness".

Define greatness? Not everyone can be or will be great, the majority will be quality players who will fulfill the requirements of the club and coaches.

I think someone has the saying "the futures bright in Red and White", well I believe it still is and it may take a little while to be even brighter. I have supported the Bloods for over 50 years and have stuck with them through the hard years. Just because we miss a final series once after so many years at the pointy end, it's not the end of the world.
    sprite

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    I don't think 2019 was a poor season, but rather a season that posed challenges and forced us to make changes via structures and playing our younger players and we have come out better for it.

As I said the new talent we played proves we are still at the top of the game in our recruiting. Yes we have a lot of players who could be great and the only way to find out is by playing them and having faith in them. We can't continually turn over players on a belief that after 5/10/15 or 20 games they haven't shown "greatness".

Define greatness? Not everyone can be or will be great, the majority will be quality players who will fulfill the requirements of the club and coaches.

I think someone has the saying "the futures bright in Red and White", well I believe it still is and it may take a little while to be even brighter. I have supported the Bloods for over 50 years and have stuck with them through the hard years. Just because we miss a final series once after so many years at the pointy end, it's not the end of the world.
    Exactly......in the years before 'the good times', we would reach the finals with less frequency than we now miss them....and I expect we will be back there next season.

It's not pessimistic at all. The stats don't lie.
    We finished 15th. More importantly we played like a 15th ranked team. That's a poor season. The second biggest drop behind Melbourne.

Anyone who thinks that's good is not doing the club any favours.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We finished 15th. More importantly we played like a 15th ranked team. That's a poor season. The second biggest drop behind Melbourne.

I agree Barry. We were poor all year at keeping the ball in our forward line. Yes our transition into the forward line was substandard, but when the ball hit the ground the opposition was there waiting for it. Is that "youth" or the ability of our players or coaching. Our % was 97.7, the highest ever for a team to finish that low on the ladder so it wasn't the defence, they played manfully all season, and it could be argued that our mids did a good job getting back to assist. To me it was so frustrating that we were unable to keep the ball in our forward line, and when we did our clearance rate from stoppages was poor. Can we reverse this next season? This and our skills and decision making must improve markedly, not just natural improvement, for us to make the finals in 2020. Can Isaac Heeney finally go to super star status?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Exactly......in the years before 'the good times', we would reach the finals with less frequency than we now miss them....and I expect we will be back there next season.
    Not only did we make finals only rarely in those days, we went half a century without winning a single final.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

2019 was the season we had to have. The changing of the guard. I'm not expecting huge improvement next year but it will be exciting to see how we progress.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne

I don't think anyone's praising the season, but this year's story was the cattle we could get on the park. We played a lot of kids because we had to, and we'll be the better for it.

Once this crop of cygnets are a few years older, we will be formidable.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan

Some stats do lie, as they don't take into account the reason behind them.

Let's look at the stats:

Playing the youngest list in the competition: you cannot expect that they will perform like 100 game veterans.

Injuries to key players, Buddy, Sinkers, Cunningham, Haywood, Macca keeping them out for extended periods.

Buddy's output was down 9 games and 30 goals on last year due to injury.

Naismith out for the season and injuries to backup rucks.

AFL conspiracy against us (gotta love that one).
    sprite

Senior Player
    Name any 15th ranked team with the percentage our team delivered this year
    Give an example of a 15th ranked team that played “ like us “ i.e statistically and stylistically
    No one as far as I can see has said it’s good but plenty have said they were satisfied with our performance and are optimistic. I suggest you join in on the optimism and leave behind the pessimism

Sam Reid played every game.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Name any 15th ranked team with the percentage our team delivered this year
    Give an example of a 15th ranked team that played “ like us “ i.e statistically and stylistically
    No one as far as I can see has said it’s good but plenty have said they were satisfied with our performance and are optimistic. I suggest you join in on the optimism and leave behind the pessimism
    On the other hand the culture of excuses isn't what wins premierships. That's why you don't hear it coming from the club. Some metrics were good, some not to good. Other clubs have injuries too. At the end of the year there's only one result that matters. Ladder position. I'm sure the team wanted to do better and are ruthless in their honesty about what they must do better. That is not antithetical to positivity and optimism given these are themselves traits for success. So is realism.

Warming the Bench
    15th is our lowest ever - none of the old South teams ever got lower than 12th.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast