Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 season review

2019 season review

Afl.com.au have posted their season review for the Swans: Sydney season review: MVP, surprise packet, low point, final grade - AFL.com.au.

Seems like an opportunity to the reflect on the season that's been and worthy of its own thread.

While at the start of the year I hoped and expected to make finals again, in the wash-up, and despite finishing 15th, I am not in the doldrums at all and I'm feeling positive about the future. Not sure I would go as far as the afl.com.au crew have and declare us a "lock" for finals next year (I'm certainly hopeful). We have a young team and this year we maximised the opportunity to get experience into our youth, including outstanding first years Blakey and Rowbottom and even giving a taste to McInerney, Stoddart (not for the first time I realise), Bell and McLean. We also took the chance to give James Rose one final run of games in the seniors to see what he can offer, most likely prior to delisting him with a clear conscience.

Apart from the retirements of the big four veterans, JPK also appears to be on the decline so we will need to trade and rely on our youth to step up in order to compete for the premiership again in future. Can't see a flag next year but feeling very bullish about the seasons after that. Getting back to finals in 2020 would be an excellent, and achievable start. Will help enormously if we have a really fit Franklin to lead our attack.

Oh. My. Goodness.
    I miss the finals threads.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    A fair assessment although I suggest Daniel Menzel has been marked a tad harshly and I feel we should find a place for him for next season he is only 27
    It’s a strange feeling to be much more positive at the end of this season where we missed the finals than I was at the start of the season when I hoped for us to be in the finals.
    Getting games into the future keystones of our team this year will pay dividends . I was extremely surprised that AA Will and Ollie have only just hit 50 games Jordan Dawson has only played 25 . Isaac and George both 23 and around 100 games each , Tom McCartin 19 years old still and 34 games under his belt already ! I could go on and mention Calum Harry and Tom etc who are all in the sweet spot age range for success as I have previously said
    Timbuk 3 - The Future's So Bright - YouTube

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Naming the St Kilda game as the best win doesn't do justice to demolishing the reigning premiers by 46 points in round 12.

Some positives for the season:
    * We get pick 4 (or 5 if Gold Coast get a priority pick). It's the highest draft pick we've had since 2002 when we drafted Jarrad McVeigh with pick #5. (Note: Callum Mills, #3, 2015 was an Academy pick)
    * A bottom 6 finish means we get a bottom 6 fixture next year. That means our fixture will be weighted towards the bottom 6 sides by playing more of them twice.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    ... * A bottom 6 finish means we get a bottom 6 fixture next year. That means our fixture will be weighted towards the bottom 6 sides by playing more of them twice.
    Nah, the AFL commission will review this policy and change it for next year, especially after Brisbane used it to their "advantage" to finish 2nd and it "punished" the Dees for being successful
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Overall, 2019 was a poor season. A few injuries exposed some very large holes in our list which should have been anticipated. We essentially wasted the mid season draft on a player we didnt play, while a number of other teams got ready made players.
    Coach speculation didnt help. The playing surface of the SCG was a mess, and our home record really needs addressing. Now at season end, persistent rumours of player departures is not good.
    We not only missed the finals, but never looked likely. We currently have a lot of players who 'could be great' but as yet aren't. Turning those into great is the next major challenge and by no means certain.

Hopes for 2020:
    Plug list holes, and improvement in players. Might sneak into 8 if lucky.

Long term:. Need to find the trade and draft bargains that have made us famous, as the list needs a bit of work.

Senior Player
    I started the season like every season, full of hope and optimism. But it became apparent by about round 7-8 that it wasn't going to be a great year.

I confess that the huge changes to the list had rather crept up on me. I alluded to it in this post on shared experience in the team. Look again at the "blue group" and how many names have been lost recently.

So it's the early days of a new era and once I'd accepted that, I could relax and watch the new talent develop. Not to take away from anyone else but I think I've enjoyed Dawson the most. Seems to have reached the "calm poised" stage and a lovely kick all around the ground.

Also though Rampe had a great year - unfortunate that the media focus was on the rare brain fades. And it was great to see Allir get back to what we know he can do after last year's form dip.

In terms of games, the run of 3 at the SCG mid-season was enjoyable, especially the big West Coast win. That was a glimpse of how good they can be when it all comes together and for me, showed why I want Papley to stay with us! And the last game provided special memories that many of us will never forget.

Most of the losses were not big losses, 3-4 goals, aside from the GWS home and Port away games.

So not a great year but plenty of talent and good signs. Let's hope the coaches get the best from them next season and enough players start firing every game day that they start to gel into a team. I'll be there full of hope and optimism!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Overall, 2019 was a poor season. A few injuries exposed some very large holes in our list which should have been anticipated. We essentially wasted the mid season draft on a player we didnt play, while a number of other teams got ready made players.
    Coach speculation didnt help. The playing surface of the SCG was a mess, and our home record really needs addressing. Now at season end, persistent rumours of player departures is not good.
    We not only missed the finals, but never looked likely. We currently have a lot of players who 'could be great' but as yet aren't. Turning those into great is the next major challenge and by no means certain.

Hopes for 2020:
    Plug list holes, and improvement in players. Might sneak into 8 if lucky.

Long term:. Need to find the trade and draft bargains that have made us famous, as the list needs a bit of work.
    Well that cheered me up

I’m much more positive about the future although it may be 2021 rather than 2020 when it happens.

Our first 6 rounds we were awful, but after that we were competitive in most games and had Buddy and one genuine ruckman been fit we might have scraped in.

We won 8 and 12 was enough for finals.

Lost to Freo (1 point)
    Giants (2)
    Blues (7)
    Bombers (10)

During that period. The game against the Weagles shows what we are capable of.

I don’t think exposing our lack of depth was the worst thing that could have happened. Now the list management can find a way to deliver it.

A very important offseason coming up!

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    My initial prediction for the year was 8 to 11. Based on the style from the previous year and a reliance on a couple of players Reg and KJ, who were past it at the start of the year.

Compounding this we were hit by injuries, which was a blessing in some ways as we were forced into playing more new young players.

We uncovered Blakey, Dawson, Rowbottom and Wells. Tom McC showed he is maturing and getting the confidence he needs particularly as he was in the second year blues period.

Allir not only bounced back but kept the upward trajectory going by developing into a handy ruck, it really is a question of what can he be? Of course he will have some poor performances but these will be the learning experiences he needs. Who knows he may develop into another Goodesy.

Looking at the ruck position, Sam needs to be fully fit and capable of playing big minutes as the key ruck with Callum as support. The backup rucks Cameron (assuming he is retained) needs an opportunity. I'm not fully across any others as to who is capable of stepping up, so will leave that to more astute "ressie" observers

As Neilfws says we didn't suffer many total wipeouts, with most losses being under 4 -5 goals.

Hopefully we can recruit well and pick players to fill the gaps, plus having a full preseason under everyone's belt will be a big advantage (looking at you Buddy).

We still have some transitioning to consider, JPK and Buddy cannot keep going forever, so we need to identify replacements. Parker seems the logical one for JPK, who comes in as the next Parker? I'm thinking that Dawson could develop here with George H adding to the mix.

Forget Mills in the centre, he is needed as the back half general ala Macca, he has demonstrated that steadiness like Macca to get to the right place at the right time.

Possibly next year is the last we may see of Buddy as a dominator, after that I expect to see managed cameos of 3-4 game bursts in a permanent FF role.

Overall, the future is more positive and I expect we should get back into the eight (6th to 8th).
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Well that cheered me up
    No point sugar coating it.
    Accept it for what it was and identify and address the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Nah, the AFL commission will review this policy and change it for next year, especially after Brisbane used it to their "advantage" to finish 2nd and it "punished" the Dees for being successful
    Jesus! Do you have a source for this?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast