Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 100-year hoodoo

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne

The 100-year hoodoo

The Swans have a hoodoo going back over 100 years that I would really like to break soon.

1918 was the last year when the Swans finished on top of the ladder and won the premiership in the same year.

Since 1918, South Melbourne / Sydney has finished on top of the ladder 6 times (1935, 1936, 1945, 1996, 2014 and 2016). In each of these years, the Swans lost the Grand Final.

The next time we finish on top, can we please also win the premiership?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    I just want to win the flag from anywhere in the eight.
    sprite

Veterans List
    Lately when a team has finished on top they don't win the premiership. Maybe the teams can't handle the pressure and the expectation.

That all depends on whether there will be umpires or not. I like the sound of the captains umpiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Lately when a team has finished on top they don't win the premiership. Maybe the teams can't handle the pressure and the expectation.
    I think it because the teams are so evenly matched these days, thanks to equalisation, and also the home and away season is no longer an even playing field where teams play everyone twice. Playing the GF and most finals matches on the home ground of a number of Victorian clubs doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I think it because the teams are so evenly matched these days, thanks to equalisation, and also the home and away season is no longer an even playing field where teams play everyone twice. Playing the GF and most finals matches on the home ground of a number of Victorian clubs doesn't help either.
    I’ll give you the GF, but your point about “most finals matches on the home ground of a number of Victorian clubs” is rubbish. For the finals, the higher finishing team plays at home. If a final is played in Victoria, it’s because the Victorian team earned the right.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I’ll give you the GF, but your point about “most finals matches on the home ground of a number of Victorian clubs” is rubbish. For the finals, the higher finishing team plays at home. If a final is played in Victoria, it’s because the Victorian team earned the right.
    GF is the showpiece game of the whole season. To play it at the home ground of Victorian clubs is an embarrassment, especially when the non Vic team finishes higher on the ladder. The idiocy and parochialism of signing an agreement for the MCG to host the game up to the year 2057 is unforgivable and irrevocably stains the competition for the next 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    GF is the showpiece game of the whole season. To play it at the home ground of Victorian clubs is an embarrassment, especially when the non Vic team finishes higher on the ladder. The idiocy and parochialism of signing an agreement for the MCG to host the game up to the year 2057 is unforgivable and irrevocably stains the competition for the next 40 years.
    That’s an argument that deserves its own thread, as it derails whichever thread it repeatedly pops up on.

It also has nothing to do with my post that you replied to, as I conceded the GF point.

And hopefully you got your complaining about it out of your system, otherwise it’s going to be 40 long years if you keep going on about it as it’s not going to change the deal that’s in place until 2057

I'm proud that we have built up an impressive home & away record including Kardinia Park, where Geelong enjoys the best home advantage. Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere. However I do fantasize winning a fairytale flag from 7th spot and beating a heavily fancied Melbourne team in the GF with a lopsided free kick count in our favour. Longmire calls up Bob (Skilton) to the stage to handover his premiership medal. Gill says it's the best GF he has ever witnessed. The next day AFL admits the umpiring wasn't up to standard but not sure if it affected the result. This of course doesn't affect our fairytale cygnets celebrating hard and if that Melb team mentions the poor umpiring at all they're considered sore losers. Even better if that Melb team wears red white and blue colours! GF at the MCG is then extended for another 40 years.
    Last edited by KSAS; 31st August 2019 at 09:26 AM.

Senior Player
    That’s an argument that deserves its own thread, as it derails whichever thread it repeatedly pops up on.

It also has nothing to do with my post that you replied to, as I conceded the GF point.

And hopefully you got your complaining about it out of your system, otherwise it’s going to be 40 long years if you keep going on about it as it’s not going to change the deal that’s in place until 2057
    So we just pretend that the arrangement is ok? Sorry,not into appeasement in this case. The least that should be done is an asterisk eg Hawthorn 2015 when WC beat them in a QFinal at Perth and then had tp play GF at Hawks home ground. Ditto Richmond who finished lower than Adelaide in 2017. That' just 2 recent ones. Joke of a national comp.

Only since the 1990s or so. Home finals didn't exist in 1986 or 1987 when the Swans had to play four finals in Melbourne. If home finals had existed then, three of those finals would have been in Sydney.

More recently, a few non-Victorian sides had to play "home" preliminary finals at the MCG and a couple of other finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Since 2000 (when the current Final 8 format was introduced), the following sides have finished on top and gone on to win the premiership:

2000 Essendon
    2004 Port Adelaide
    2006 West Coast
    2007 Geelong
    2010 Collingwood
    2013 Hawthorn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast