Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 165

Thread: #AFL Finals Week 1 weekly discussion thread

  1. #1

    #AFL Finals Week 1 weekly discussion thread

    Retired early so he can give back to his community. Champion! Voices from inside Don Dale - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

  2. #2
    I think I read somewhere that the AFL will have told Gold Coast informally their decision about a priority pick although it won't be formally announced until the Commission meets next, around Grand Final week. I wonder if the decision will leak.

    This article suggests it's a done deal: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/...fl-assistance/. Initially they say "expected" but later they write "the AFL has decided they deserve the top two picks in the draft". This article has a similar conclusion: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/08/2...7-other-clubs/. This article https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/08/2...7-other-clubs/ suggests the same: "All the rumour at the moment is that the AFL will say yes to Gold Coast’s proposal. Both Caroline Wilson and Cal Twomey have implied as much in recent weeks, two figures who work in different areas but both have their finger on the pulse. If they say it’s likely, I believe it."

    So I think I am answering my own question that we can start thinking on the basis that Rowell and Anderson are going to the Suns. I'm happy for them and we are one of the clubs with a pick at the pointy end and so suffer more. (Not as much as Melbourne but their list is not their problem and they don't need Anderson anywhere near as much as the Suns.)
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 5th September 2019 at 11:51 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,122
    Tipsters unanimous in their predictions for tonight's game:

    West Coast v Essendon @ Perth Stadium

    Hard to see Bombers as anything other than also-rans, but who knows.

    The other games are predicted to be closer, in particular GWS v Dogs, almost nothing in it:

    Greater Western Sydney v Western Bulldogs @ Sydney Showground

    Given how some in the footy media are starting to concoct the next Dogs miracle, I'd rather like the Giants to put them to the sword.

  4. #4
    I'll be going for all the non VFL teams and the Pies over the Cats.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'll be going for all the non VFL teams and the Pies over the Cats.
    Wash your mouth out re Pies!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Retired early so he can give back to his community. Champion! Voices from inside Don Dale - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    And a Giant doing something similar: 'I didn't know how hard AFL footy was': Giant reveals mental health battle - AFL.com.au. Champion!

  7. #7
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think I read somewhere that the AFL will have told Gold Coast informally their decision about a priority pick although it won't be formally announced until the Commission meets next, around Grand Final week. I wonder if the decision will leak.

    This article suggests it's a done deal: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/...fl-assistance/. Initially they say "expected" but later they write "the AFL has decided they deserve the top two picks in the draft". This article has a similar conclusion: Gold Coast will get a priority pick at the expense of 17 other clubs. This article Gold Coast will get a priority pick at the expense of 17 other clubs suggests the same: "All the rumour at the moment is that the AFL will say yes to Gold Coast’s proposal. Both Caroline Wilson and Cal Twomey have implied as much in recent weeks, two figures who work in different areas but both have their finger on the pulse. If they say it’s likely, I believe it."

    So I think I am answering my own question that we can start thinking on the basis that Rowell and Anderson are going to the Suns. I'm happy for them and we are one of the clubs with a pick at the pointy end and so suffer more. (Not as much as Melbourne but their list is not their problem and they don't need Anderson anywhere near as much as the Suns.)
    I may be wrong, but I thought there was mention the priority pick was meant to be traded for an established player.
    sprite

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Wash your mouth out re Pies!
    Absolutely not! Don't want to see the over-entitled crew at Geelong having too much success this year, especially not Chris Scott. It's funny, I used to quite like Geelong but these days I would much rather see the Pies get a win (although not the flag). I quite like the players and coach - their punishment for being Pies is they have to deal with their fans and Eddie. That seems harsh enough.

  9. #9
    McVeigh for Brownlow RogueSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Posts
    4,177
    Anyone think the Bombers are even a remote chance tonight?
    Even though I don't think it will happen it would make me happy to see the reigning premiers knocked out :-)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Absolutely not! Don't want to see the over-entitled crew at Geelong having too much success this year, especially not Chris Scott. It's funny, I used to quite like Geelong but these days I would much rather see the Pies get a win (although not the flag). I quite like the players and coach - their punishment for being Pies is they have to deal with their fans and Eddie. That seems harsh enough.
    Agree re Scott and Pie players and coach but for me, McGuire supersedes everything.

  11. #11
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Yes, good for him. He is an outstanding kick of the footy. There was a great story from one of the commentators earlier this year who
    told of watching Finlayson practicing his kicks "around the corner" from the boundary line during the warm-up. Apparently he kicked
    28 in a row thru the big sticks.

  12. #12
    Good story KT!

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO