Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Swans media

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    The Swans Twitter account is tweeting at many updates about the game as the GWS one.
    Yes but where GWS tweet the half time score and the goal kickers, Swans just tweet score. I learnt more about the game from GWS even if it was just about their players. It was the bare minimum. A squad list would have been nice as I don’t know who played. It feels like they want to keep much of the detail secret rather than keeping the fans informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't sure were to post this, thought this thread was the most appropriate. I was excited to see in the HS website tonight a magnificent picture of Parker, Kennedy & Skilton wearing the traditional South Melbourne guernseys in front of Temperance Hall in Napier St South Melbourne, with the bold caption "Swans to don Bloods Guernsey"

This is a paywall article, so I'm unable to open it. Temperance Hall is where South Melbourne Football Club held their first meeting in 1874 after they merged with Albert Park (retaining their red & white colours). Article also mentioned a Hall of Fame with a twist? I'm wondering if the club is planning to wear the South guernsey to all our Melbourne games this year and be clash jumper against Brisbane / Suns (that would be great!). The club's official 150th anniversary is not till 2024 but wondering if Temperance Hall is literally being recognised as a hall of fame? If anyone with HS access can confirm what it's about I'd be most appreciative! Nothing on the club's website at this stage.
    Last edited by KSAS; 26th February 2020 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Wasn't sure were to post this, thought this thread was the most appropriate. I was excited to see in the HS website tonight a magnificent picture of Parker, Kennedy & Skilton wearing the traditional South Melbourne guernseys in front of Temperance Hall in Napier St South Melbourne, with the bold caption "Swans to don Bloods Guernsey"

..........wondering if Temperance Hall is literally being recognised as a hall of fame? If anyone with HS access can confirm what it's about I'd be most appreciative! Nothing on the club's website at this stage.
    “The Sydney Swans have officially celebrated the start of the 2020 season at the club’s Guernsey Presentation and Hall of Fame Induction Dinner, presented by Volkswagen, on Wednesday night at The Star.”

“The second item added to the Heritage List was the club's birthplace at South Melbourne Temperance Hall – originally known as the Emerald Hill Total Abstinence Society Hall – the club’s foundation date of June 19, 1874 and the club’s founding father, John Parry.”

“It was also announced on the night that the club will celebrate the inaugural Swans Heritage Week in the lead-up to, and during, its clash with Richmond at the MCG in Round 11.”

“As part of the celebrations, the Swans will wear a special Heritage Guernsey, honouring past South Melbourne Football Club jumpers, while other exciting club initiatives are set to be announced ahead of the game.”

Richards one of four new inductees Richards one of four new inductees

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    “The Sydney Swans have officially celebrated the start of the 2020 season at the club’s Guernsey Presentation and Hall of Fame Induction Dinner, presented by Volkswagen, on Wednesday night at The Star.”

“The second item added to the Heritage List was the club's birthplace at South Melbourne Temperance Hall – originally known as the Emerald Hill Total Abstinence Society Hall – the club’s foundation date of June 19, 1874 and the club’s founding father, John Parry.”

“It was also announced on the night that the club will celebrate the inaugural Swans Heritage Week in the lead-up to, and during, its clash with Richmond at the MCG in Round 11.”

“As part of the celebrations, the Swans will wear a special Heritage Guernsey, honouring past South Melbourne Football Club jumpers, while other exciting club initiatives are set to be announced ahead of the game.”

That’s pretty cool. I’d still love to see us play a home game in Melbourne every year in honour of our clubs roots and the significant following the swannies still have in Melbourne. Would be good against Brisbane and involve the old Fitzroy cohort too , could alternate who’s home game it is year by year and of course wear the old guernseys. That’d be awesome .

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Thanks for that Meg. Really looking forward to Round 11 against Richmond! Sounds like we'll honour the June 19th milestone on a yearly basis building up to the 150th anniversary in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    That’s pretty cool. I’d still love to see us play a home game in Melbourne every year in honour of our clubs roots and the significant following the swannies still have in Melbourne. Would be good against Brisbane and involve the old Fitzroy cohort too , could alternate who’s home game it is year by year and of course wear the old guernseys. That’d be awesome .

I remember writing to Tony Morwood suggesting that very idea 15 years ago! He replied to me at the time saying he was keen on the idea and would follow up. Would love to see that happen. Better late than never! Could play for the Round/Quinlan Cup (tied in the 81 Brownlow) or Skilton/Murray Cup.
    Last edited by KSAS; 27th February 2020 at 08:11 AM.

What is the logo on Bobby’s jumper- looks like a football over a big blue V.
    The one on the other side is a Sydney Swan so the jumper post dates the VFL era

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

Nice sentiment but I doubt the majority of us Sydney based fans would be keen on the idea of 'losing' a home game. Sorry.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    What is the logo on Bobby’s jumper- looks like a football over a big blue V.
    The one on the other side is a Sydney Swan so the jumper post dates the VFL era
    That would be the old VFL logo. Pre 1987 I think, could be wrong about the year.

Swans media

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Nice sentiment but I doubt the majority of us Sydney based fans would be keen on the idea of 'losing' a home game. Sorry.
    One every two years even ? Surely you’d get over it mate.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    You mean like how Vic-based fans (which I once was) lost their home games when SMFC became the Sydney Swans and relocated to NSW? When you consider that, one game as Melbourne Blood suggested is really not a lot to ask.

Just a dream
    that the South Melbourne/Fitzroy heritage celebration game be at the MCG and piss a Collingwood or Richmond game to say Alice Springs (or China - to grow our 'great game').

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345