Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans media

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    - the ability to see player information in list format, rather than headshot format. It was a very useful tool when you wanted to look up information on players (especially from opposition clubs) such as age, debut, games played, without having to click through numerous individual profiles. That view also enabled you to cut and paste a player list into excel if you wanted to create your own scoring page (and not shell out on the Record every game).
    https://www.footywire.com/ - I'm sure you are aware, but much better resource and more up to date information.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-sydney-swans (though they haven't updated the new number yet, the draftees are there). More often than not the Swans site takes 6 months to update their list online.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at our list, we have 3 players over 150 games only.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veteran Site Admin
    I count four (plus another couple not far off).

Veterans List
    Swans post season magazine arrived today, very good read.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Why is it that the AFL media team feels the need to change the look, feel and organisation of its website (and those of the clubs) on an annual basis? Or frequently enough that it feels annual?

Part of my irritation with the new look Swans website is just that it is different. But there are a couple of changes that are particularly disappointing / annoying:

- the ability to see player information in list format, rather than headshot format. It was a very useful tool when you wanted to look up information on players (especially from opposition clubs) such as age, debut, games played, without having to click through numerous individual profiles. That view also enabled you to cut and paste a player list into excel if you wanted to create your own scoring page (and not shell out on the Record every game).

- the links to radio interviews with Swans players and personnel. Those seem to have completely disappeared. The Sinclair podcasts are still available (under Podcasts) but I'd often sit and listen to interviews on SEN and other media via those links, useful as I don't listen to radio stations "live".
    Worse than this is the reduction in content and disabling/removal of the search function. There is however, one improvement: they have re-added the links to the other radio interviews etc - it's on the podcasts page https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news-and-media/podcasts.

Also, just went to check whether there is anything to see on the player profiles and it's the usual dismal story:

* The players traded in are there. They have bios and photos showing them on our list in the stripe of their former teams (Hawks/Port/Brisbane).

* The draftees are also there and have bios. With the exception of Brady Rowles alone, none of them have a photo. Search me why they made an exception for Brady.

* The rest of the players are there with photos and bios but there write-ups only refer to their 2018 seasons. Also, the photos are out of date so you can still enjoy Stoddart's luscious locks, Matt Ling's baby face and appreciate how bad Sam Naismith's hairstyle was a year ago.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 23rd January 2020 at 03:01 PM.

An unusually good season preview: The Good, Bad And Ugly - Sydney Swans 2020 Season Preview - The Mongrel Punt. It's rare to see content this good in the media. And that's without seeing the part of the article that is for subscribers only. It's not that it's brilliant but it's actually competent and that is sadly unexpected. I usually rely on RWO to provide this level of insight (sure, one has to filter through a fair bit of other stuff including people's views about the Chinese government... but I suppose that's part of the charm).

The preview evidences real knowledge of our list, including those on the fringes of the 22, like Fox. Curiously, makes absolutely no reference to our draftees. While they aren't going to be mainstays of our team, I think there is a real chance that Dyl Stephens and Will Gould will have some impact on our season. There's also persuasive discussion about our need to find a replacement for JPK and that it seems Hewett may not cut it but no mention of our up and coming players like Rowbottom and, who knows, Warner.

In short, worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    An unusually good season preview: The Good, Bad And Ugly - Sydney Swans 2020 Season Preview - The Mongrel Punt. It's rare to see content this good in the media. And that's without seeing the part of the article that is for subscribers only. It's not that it's brilliant but it's actually competent and that is sadly unexpected. I usually rely on RWO to provide this level of insight (sure, one has to filter through a fair bit of other stuff including people's views about the Chinese government... but I suppose that's part of the charm).

The preview evidences real knowledge of our list, including those on the fringes of the 22, like Fox. Curiously, makes absolutely no reference to our draftees. While they aren't going to be mainstays of our team, I think there is a real chance that Dyl Stephens and Will Gould will have some impact on our season. There's also persuasive discussion about our need to find a replacement for JPK and that it seems Hewett may not cut it but no mention of our up and coming players like Rowbottom and, who knows, Warner.

In short, worth a read.
    That was fantastic , thanks for sharing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+2 From me as well.
    I particularly resonated what he wrote about Heeney, Papley and Buddy as I have the same thoughts. Quite a insightful piece from a Hawks fan!
    Last edited by KSAS; 25th January 2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    +2 From me as well.
    I particularly resonated what he wrote about Heeney, Papley and Buddy as I have the same thoughts. Quite a insightful piece from a Hawks fan!
    Yeah I was surprised at his knowledge of our team as well ! He did apparently overlook Dawson’s laser boot when pumping him up though, but a great piece none the less!

Not strictly on Swans Media, but I reckon the new AFL format is a dud.

You get an opening 'view' which is all glossy and teasing, but all it means is that you are another click from actually seeing any news. Then it is a fragmented into categories and multiple clicks to find news if you haven't been reading it every day.

Then, with typical AFL arrogance, if there is any way to give feedback, it was not apparent to me. The only 'contact' just leads to a Telstra site

We have had the Swans 'photo day' with the principal AFL photographer being there - but still the Swans player profiles remain in the same unamended state. Really in February, we should give a big HELLO AFL to get off their arses to fix it
    OR
    get a volunteer into the Swans office to fix it if there is no-one in the office with the skills

Mountain Man, you are right. I actually contacted Swans and asked about the update of the pics. I have done tgat for the past 3 years and each year the excuse is different. Last year, they were waiting on the upgrade of the new AFL website as well as Champion Data so they could be included on the new website. Swans control their own content but dont seem to have any dedicated resource to make sure it happens. I also ask when the player bios can be updated as some are still the same as 2018!!!!! This is farcical and happens year in year out. Its as if social media is unimportant and keeping fans informed. The worst part from my point of view is that they dont care about their players, their morale or information. Ho hum

Pushing for Selection
    Also, latest McVeigh story is from an SEN interview 11 days ago. The media team seem to struggle to get access to the players judging on their reliance on writing stories from external media interviews, now with added delay.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast