Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans media

Swans media

Overall, we have commented many times in these pages how disappointing the efforts of the in-house Swans media team have been, especially during the pre-season period when nothing on the website was up to date. And this thread is a space where we will be able to update our complaints.

But right now, credit where credit is due: I have found this latest package of feel-good footage documenting the farewells of McVeigh and Jack to be excellent Jack & McVeigh reflect on Round 23 - sydneyswans.com.au. More of this sort of stuff please. Especially enjoyed their commentary by Macca and Kizza and revealing their inner worlds and what happened behind the scenes.

This year, I also enjoyed the emergence of Shane Potter in preference to Zachary Gates and Loretta Johns (?) - his delivery seems a little more natural but still clear and easy to understand.

I forgot to add, and this was half the reason I posted, that actually the media I have most enjoyed has been by the players.

I think it was after round 22 in Melbourne on the Friday night there was a fan day in Melbourne and there was a video released of James Rowbottom interviewing kids at the fan day - excellent! Better than most other interviewers manage and he seemed completely at ease. Now they've got an interview up on the Swans site by Laidler with McInerney - good to watch. Plus there is Cal Sinclair's podcast/interviews with the players. Bring on more of this is - it's the best they have to offer.

Here's the Rowbottom interviewing kids interview: Melbourne fans meet their Swans - sydneyswans.com.au. I like the way he keeps the kids honest with a sense of humour and doesn't treat them too delicately.

Here's Laidler & McInerney: NEAFL Review: Laidler and McInerney - sydneyswans.com.au.

And here's Conversations with Cal: Podcasts - sydneyswans.com.au.

Sorry/sad to revive this thread, but I was interested to see the height/weight of our new listing from Hawthorn.

Brand has gone from their list of players while Cameron and Jones etc are still on the Swans list

- - - Updated - - -

As are Rose, Menzel, McVeigh etc

It takes Swans Media a lifetime to make changes to player info including delisted or traded. They are always blaming Champion Data or AFL!!!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Sorry/sad to revive this thread, but I was interested to see the height/weight of our new listing from Hawthorn.

Brand has gone from their list of players while Cameron and Jones etc are still on the Swans list

- - - Updated - - -

As are Rose, Menzel, McVeigh etc
    Brand is 198cm.

I'm enjoying the Inside Sydney episodes - one of the best things they've done I reckon. I like the lack of an on screen presenter and seeing a bit more into the day to day and less cliche media stuff adding to the overblown news of the day (Player X's 200th or whatever) that is done to death in every news outlet.

Pushing for Selection
    During the trade period I was beginning to wonder if the only way they had access to Tom Harley and/or John Longmire was if they did an interview with SEN. I agree that lately there has been some good content but I still find it hit and miss.

Veteran Site Admin
    Why is it that the AFL media team feels the need to change the look, feel and organisation of its website (and those of the clubs) on an annual basis? Or frequently enough that it feels annual?

Part of my irritation with the new look Swans website is just that it is different. But there are a couple of changes that are particularly disappointing / annoying:

- the ability to see player information in list format, rather than headshot format. It was a very useful tool when you wanted to look up information on players (especially from opposition clubs) such as age, debut, games played, without having to click through numerous individual profiles. That view also enabled you to cut and paste a player list into excel if you wanted to create your own scoring page (and not shell out on the Record every game).

- the links to radio interviews with Swans players and personnel. Those seem to have completely disappeared. The Sinclair podcasts are still available (under Podcasts) but I'd often sit and listen to interviews on SEN and other media via those links, useful as I don't listen to radio stations "live".

Could not agree more, Liz. When I raise this issue each year, Swans media reply that they are dependant on AFL for the website and can only change content - player info/ profile - once AFL and Champion Data have supplied. This year, again the AFL have changed their website and player data and other content will have to wait!!!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Why is it that the AFL media team feels the need to change the look, feel and organisation of its website (and those of the clubs) on an annual basis? Or frequently enough that it feels annual?
    Probably for the same reason that the rules of the game committee can't leave the rules alone? Twits justifying their existence.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    Well the players section of the website has now been massively updated but with some inconsistencies. Rowles is the only one of the new players to get a headshot and he was the last on board while we are still waiting for headshots for McLean and Knoll. Seniors and Rookies are now merged so no idea from the site if Bell is the promotion to Senior list. Photos do exist when you go to the bio link but bio is a very basic piece of fluff. At least they have done something!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast