Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

That makes sense. So maybe more likely that they might look for someone returning to AFL from cricket or basketball or something. I think Cat B rookies can be signed at any time, although not sure if they have to wait until the following season to join the list (like BOC)? I wonder if they can also be recruited via the pre-season or mid-season drafts as a way of getting the player on to the list and eligible to play.

Senior Player
    Thanks Bloodspirit for your detailed descriptions 😊.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    "Well, I swung by training again this morning to check out the new draftees. I managed to eyeball them all. Here are some assorted observations and gleanings from watching and chatting to a couple of people:...."
    T
    hanks Bloodspirit for the update again. Have you noticed if Dawson and Mills training with the Midfield or Backs group?
    Mills copped a football to the face on Fridays training...he did not participate in any of the drills I saw today. It was a very forceful impact from a kick only a few meters away. Suspect he is sidelined from concussion and hopefully nothing is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catches win matches !
    "everybody loves somebody..........sometimes"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The two Mildura boys were hanging close together. I wanted to ask them whether they knew each other already but didn't want to interrupt their training to do it. .
    Played against each other until u14's when Stephens left for Adelaide.

I checked out training this morning. With so few injuries, plus the first years, plus the NDS, plus campbell and gulden it is a huge squad. There is a noticeable shift from last year with the haywards, florents, etc looking like adult men rather than youngsters.
    I was surprised at the amount of football drills. Other than the first years and some doing rehab eg Zac Foote, the rest were predominantly doing structural and kicking drills. The skill level looked good, quick with good skills. Many of the drills and structures emphasised fast changes in directions and angles including shorter pin point passes. Lots of competitive forward entry drills with an emphasis on fast entries and the ability of the forwards to double back and lose opponents thus avoiding getting dragged too far up field. The drills looked different from those in previous years and seemed to be carefully tailored to a very quick accurate game style.
    The first years were working hard, and I sensed the they find the training pretty tough. They do much more organised running as the club gets the miles into them.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I checked out training this morning. With so few injuries, plus the first years, plus the NDS, plus campbell and gulden it is a huge squad. There is a noticeable shift from last year with the haywards, florents, etc looking like adult men rather than youngsters.
    I was surprised at the amount of football drills. Other than the first years and some doing rehab eg Zac Foote, the rest were predominantly doing structural and kicking drills. The skill level looked good, quick with good skills. Many of the drills and structures emphasised fast changes in directions and angles including shorter pin point passes. Lots of competitive forward entry drills with an emphasis on fast entries and the ability of the forwards to double back and lose opponents thus avoiding getting dragged too far up field. The drills looked different from those in previous years and seemed to be carefully tailored to a very quick accurate game style.
    The first years were working hard, and I sensed the they find the training pretty tough. They do much more organised running as the club gets the miles into them.
    That sounds encouraging. If we could spend much of the year, playing a fast, creative, accurate and attacking game style, then I would be happy.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Thanks Barracuda, always great to get real impressions of training rather than the sanitised politically correct club version :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    That sounds encouraging. If we could spend much of the year, playing a fast, creative, accurate and attacking game style, then I would be happy.
    Aleluiah to that! Of course we have to win our fair share of stoppages and contested ball to set up those attacking moves. For the past 2 seasons we have been seemingly incapable of that!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Opti-pessi-misti
    My thanks too to Blood spirit and Barra for their eye witness reports from training.. Like gold for we fellow fans. Perhaps you should send a copy to the Swans media department for their information too!

Senior Player
    Numbers released.

Elijah Taylor gets 37

Notably Naismith changes to 10

Wow! Something newsworthy. Here's the link: 2020 guernsey numbers revealed - sydneyswans.com.au.

And here are the new numbers:

1 = Chad Warner
    2 = Kaiden Brand
    3 = Dylan Stephens
    10 = Sam Naismith
    15 = Sam Gray
    17 = Will Gould
    28 = Lewis Taylor
    35 = Barry O’Connor
    37 = Elijah Taylor
    39 = Brady Rowles