Page 23 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Regular in the Side
    My concern with the list of injuries is that I doubt that it is anywhere complete. Before Xmas McLean was in a moon boot for example. Now not injured! Remember Pink and Ronke in the past years have spent months as invisible members of the squad. The swans have form in this regard.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    My concern with the list of injuries is that I doubt that it is anywhere complete. Before Xmas McLean was in a moon boot for example. Now not injured! Remember Pink and Ronke in the past years have spent months as invisible members of the squad. The swans have form in this regard.
    Not with straight shooter Charlie Gardiner, everyone is accounted for as either in full training/playing or on the injury list. I'm confident well have most players available for start of season. Injuries are part of the game, rarely does any club have a full list, you just have to play with who is available.

Veterans List
    Anyone venturing to training tomorrow morning?

Warming the Bench
    2km time trial this morning with Stephens, Fox and Knoll on the podium.

Here is a list of the players that did not run:
    Naismith, Reid, Amartey, Reynolds, McClean, McCartin, Heeney, Ling, Kennedy, Taylor, Thurlow, O'Connor, Buddy

Some basic skills sessions in the time that I was there.
    Yellow caps for Allir, Sinclair, Naismith and Maibaum. Haywood rolled his right ankle during one of the drills.

Thurlow, Heeney and Reid were not in the skills sessions - they mainly did laps of the oval.

Veteran Site Admin
    What happened to Dawson?

Grassy is a gun at the 2km

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Grassy is a gun at the 2km
    Knoll was coming a close second for a long time and Fox mowed him down in the last 100m.

He was quite unsteady on his feet for the next 20 minutes or so and with the doctor. He certainly left nothing in the tank.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What happened to Dawson?
    He was in the next group but if I were to hazard a guess, not many PB’s outside the top 3 were threatened.

Allir was last by a fair margin and was clearly hampered by his knee.

- Firstly did a warmup and stretches as a group.

- Split into three groups to do some agility drills. Things like moving side to side. high knees, those little hurdles etc. The coaches in charge of each group had their own preferred exercises.

- There were a few players who seemed to be at an earlier stage of preseason and were not doing the agility exercises. They were handballing among each themselves and throwing a medicine ball around. It seemed to be Amartey, Mclean, E. Taylor, Thurlow, Reynolds, Heeney and Reid. Later I saw them all run laps around the oval intermittently.

- Split into three groups to do the run around the oval. I am guessing a lot of players would have run within themselves given it was first day back. In the first group Stephens, Knoll and Fox were ahead of everyone else. Then players like Dawson, Cunningham, Foot, Mills and Clarke in a bunch behind them. For the second group COR, Ronke and Warner were at the front. For the third group Sinclair, Gray, Maibaum and Gould were at the front.

- Four skills drills with groups rotating around to each station; Picking up a ground ball. A short switch kick to a player running onto it. Marking a high ball. short flat kicks in a square direction.

- A drill with 7 attackers vs 3 defenders trying to keep possession. Though the attacking team had to kick the ball within 3 seconds.

- A drill where 3 attackers would handball and keep possession against 2 defenders. Then after a while the coach would blow a whistle and they could kick the ball to a 2 vs 1 contest upfield.

- A drill where they worked the ball upfield through diagonal kicks to leading players

- Briefly a few set shots at goal

- Might have been 12 attackers vs 10 defenders. The attacking team tried to move the ball upfield from a kick in.

- A drill where they work it upfield from a kick in. A player kicks the ball from the goal square to the back pocket. Who kicks a diagonal ball inside to a player who handballs to a running player. Who kicks it upfield to a leading player.

- Broke up into small groups. A group of defenders was doing marking practice from a high kick. A group where Sinclair was jumping against a bag and tapping it down to midfielders. A group just kicking the ball in a square direction. A group practicing their hands and reflexes where a coach would be throwing or kicking the ball at them from short range.

- As mentioned by goods78. Hayward was sitting on the boundary resting his ankle. And saw a few players walking off a bit sore after the first session of the year. The new draftees seemed to have a slightly lower workload and finished a bit earlier. Though Warner stayed behind the goal to box with someone. At the start Franklin was there with a sports bandage around his knee but just watched.
    Last edited by SeanM; 10th January 2020 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    Knoll was coming a close second for a long time and Fox mowed him down in the last 100m.

He was quite unsteady on his feet for the next 20 minutes or so and with the doctor. He certainly left nothing in the tank.
    Yeah he seemed to run at full effort and took a while to recover. But he participated in drills afterwards.

A little concernng about Alir? Fox is playing for his career this season so trying to train the house down. Thanks for the training updates gang. It would seem that the Naismith rumours were incorrect then?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    A little concernng about Alir? Fox is playing for his career this season so trying to train the house down. Thanks for the training updates gang. It would seem that the Naismith rumours were incorrect then?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Allir had an issue before Christmas where he could run at a decent cadence but had knee pain when he pushed the tempo. Not much appears to have changed.
    Last edited by goods78; 10th January 2020 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Duplicate