Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    I agree. We've drafted quite well the last few years. A lot of quality that should cause headaches at the selection table. I'm jumping on the Waner bandwagon. He seems to have the right mindset for the AFL and should be a good Jones replacement in the backline.
    Think we need to see them play before jumping on any bandwagon. Just showing good intent in your first few weeks at training hardly is enough to justify a bandwagon and the tackle type work I read on here that he has been doing clearly fits his draft profiles .

Warners highlight reel is solid but not spectacular. In and under handball midfielder but not explosive for pace . Will be interesting to see his development but not getting that excited yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    ... I wonder what Rampe's up to.
    I haven't seen him at training since the New Year but when I asked the doctor he said that it was "common knowledge" and that "...he a small strain and would be back soon and not to worry."

I wonder about off the cuff remarks like these especially when it was anything but common knowledge and generally unreported.

Just looking at the pictures posted on the Swans website from the Team Photo day, the players that I couldn't see were Warner, Harry C and Lewis Taylor. Camera shy? Also, can someone please identify the player on Stephens' right in picture 7/10?

Senior Player
    Grey or Papley?

Regular in the Side
    Also, can someone please identify the player on Stephens' right in picture 7/10?
    Could be Reynolds - compare to Harry Reynolds | AFL

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Grey or Papley?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Could be Reynolds - compare to Harry Reynolds | AFL
    Papley is on Stephens' left. I don't think it's Gray or Reynolds. Reynolds appears between Hewett and Stoddart in the group shot and is clearly looking different in photo 8/10. Gray is on the floor in the group shot between Bell and COR.

- - - Updated - - -

Ronke is the other missing player. It's not him though, is it.

- - - Updated - - -

Grey or Papley?
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    I haven't seen him at training since the New Year but when I asked the doctor he said that it was "common knowledge" and that "...he a small strain and would be back soon and not to worry."

I wonder about off the cuff remarks like these especially when it was anything but common knowledge and generally unreported.
    Thanks for the inside info, graemed. Was that Dr Cross or another doctor?

Senior Player
    Papley is on Stephens' left. I don't think it's Gray or Reynolds. Reynolds appears between Hewett and Stoddart in the group shot and is clearly looking different in photo 8/10. Gray is on the floor in the group shot between Bell and COR.

- - - Updated - - -

Ronke is the other missing player. It's not him though, is it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the inside info, graemed. Was that Dr Cross or another doctor?
    oh my lefts and rights mixed up. I think its Chad Warner with a haircut

Grey or Papley?
    oh my lefts and rights mixed up. I think its Chad Warner with a haircut
    Maybe also getting Stephens' right and the viewer's right mixed up? I wasn't sure which was the best way to phrase it but decided that using Stephens as the reference point was least ambiguous (but not necessarily least confusing).

I like the Warner with a haircut theory. He's got the blonde bits. But I'm not buying it. What do others think? Can anyone identify him???

Warming the Bench
    Went down and had a look at the swans train this morning.I managed to catch the first half of an intra club practice match.I had to leave at half time but the first intensity was good and it was quite physical. Lots of academy / top up players.

A couple of injuries / incidents:

Brand - had a left knee clash and was in a lot of discomfort. Went off and came back on, only to leave the ground a short time later.
    Bell - corkie to right quad early and sat out the match
    Dawson - came off after tackling Papley and both players landed awkwardly. Came back on later that quarter after being checked by the medical staff.

The players that did not play:

Thurlow on crutches with strapping around the left ankle
    Rampe
    Heeney with a cast / heavy strapping post surgery
    Reynolds
    Grey
    Naismith
    Ling
    E Taylor
    Reid
    Armity
    McLean
    Ronke
    McCarten
    Maibaum
    Stoddart
    Rowles
    Sinclair
    Buddy (not at training)

Great report! Disturbing number of non-players. And injuries! Maybe we won't have to worry too much about a so-called 'Best 22' and Gould will get his chance come round 1.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Interesting comment, bloodspirit. I had been intending to ask if anyone could comment on how Will Gould is going. In the 'Inside Sydney, episode 8' video he makes some comments that suggested to me that he's finding the match simulations are testing his fitness (while also suggesting that he's got a good attitude to meet the challenge). I suspect I'm not alone in having high hopes for him. So, to those who've been able to monitor his progress a bit more closely than those of us outside Sydney, is he looking a chance to be playing seniors anytime soon?
    I have watched him a little bit during the pre-season. Looks much leaner since he arrived at the club, but still a real unit for his age (ie in the Mellican mould). In the club match today his top up player opponent (number 57) kicked some early goals on him. I like him for depth, but I think there are too many experiened players ahead of him. For me 2020 is a development year with the possibility of a late season debut.

Warming the Bench
    Great report! Disturbing number of non-players. And injuries! Maybe we won't have to worry too much about a so-called 'Best 22' and Gould will get his chance come round 1.
    I get the feeling that many are in cotton wool and the coaches want to really minimise the risk. Match fitness could be an issue early on in the season.