Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

The press conference from Gardiner suggested that pick 5 may have been informally offered to Essendon if it would get the Daniher deal done but they said no and wanted a young Swans star. This comment seems to conflict a little with what Tom said to you. I might ask the question in the webinar with Tom on Thursday to get to the bottom of what actually was offered.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Did Buddy have more groin surgery? The Hun seems to think so

Category: | Herald Sun

"Lance Franklin, fresh from off-season groin surgery, surprised the Swans’ kids by hitting the track with them today. Buddy looked athletic and agile, the Swans posting an impressive video on Twitter."

Sydney Swans on Twitter: ".@Buddy_Franklin 🙌🏾 #ProudlySydney… "

Just to answer posters questions re my chat with TH

RE: JD

I didn't press him. He only commented that Damien Barrett's most recent article on the topic was pretty close to the truth (but still not 100% e.g. embellishment about JD wearing a hoodie and cap). He expressed sympathy for JD this season. I didn't ask whether we'd chase him again in a year.

RE: Cody Hirst

Didn't come up.

Re Pick 5

He clearly said to me they were never considering trading it at all. He was pretty decisive on this point.

Veterans List
    Fantastic post Bloodspirit, many thanks.

Great effort by Dawson who isn't a noted runner to beat Clarke who is a running machine. Added another string to his bow after such an exciting break through season. I know running power doesn't make a quality footballer out of you but if you've got all the other attributes and can also run all day, yes please.

Buddy, just such a professional turning up on day one with the kids. Fingers crossed he has an uninterupted preseason, could be back to his sublime best.

Disappointing by Amartey if his last placing is indicative of coming back unfit, a bloke hanging onto a rookie spot by his fingernails needs to tick every box.

Who will pick 5 be?

Thanks so much for this report. Just amazing. You've given us some terrific insights and context. I'm particularly interest in Harley's observation that there is sometimes too much focus on a player's role: the eternal tension between 'structure' and 'putting the best 22 on the field'. Anyway, your post is more nourishing and satisfying, and does more to whet the appetite for 2020, than all the breathless blatherings of the AFL media machine over the past couple of months..
    Did you let on to TH that you are a key informant for RedandWhiteOnline?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Did you let on to TH that you are a key informant for RedandWhiteOnline?
    Not explicitly. I made reference to talking to other fans and I shared with him "our" views about some issues. Naturally, I was selective with whose views I represented!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Not explicitly. I made reference to talking to other fans and I shared with him "our" views about some issues. Naturally, I was selective with whose views I represented!
    I'd love to know which views of "ours" you shared?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I'd love to know which views of "ours" you shared?
    Not that many, really. I said we were satisfied with how the trade period played out and not disappointed about missing JD and glad to keep Papley. I said we were pretty optimistic that Papley would deal with the disappointment of not being traded and play well again this season. I said we generally find that the club is not very transparent about what's going on (I used the word "opaque") - and that's when he responded by saying they are looking to become a bit more open and transparent. I commented on him name-checking Ronke when he was listing the young players we have that make for a bright future - Ronke's was the only name checked that I wouldn't have been confident would be on that list. He replied by making the point that Ronke is still young, so perhaps understandable that his form is less consistent. [That said, obviously it's not a given that Ronke is going to live up to his potential.] Mostly I was asking questions and listening.

Thanks BS.

There's a perception on RWO and in the media that by having a young list we are building a "war-chest" to go after one or more big fish next year. After your conversation with TH, do you think that's likely, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Thanks BS.

There's a perception on RWO and in the media that by having a young list we are building a "war-chest" to go after one or more big fish next year. After your conversation with TH, do you think that's likely, or not?
    After my conversation with TH I think that is unlikely. I was one who thought this but I came away with a different impression.

Senior Player
    Great work bloodspirit (and Harley).

Senior Player

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast