Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 493 to 504 of 770

Thread: Pre-season 2020

  1. #493
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Anyone heard anything more about this? Next Saturday is now this coming Saturday.
    9.30 am at Lakeside this Saturday is the skinny. Typically, Giants media not Swans come through with the goods: Match Simulation Saturday. It seems the Swans don't want to many people turning up. Maybe they're also hosting the following week and want to generate a bit of revenue from the gate for the Marsh series match?

  2. #494
    Goes up to 11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    9.30 am at Lakeside this Saturday is the skinny. Typically, Giants media not Swans come through with the goods: Match Simulation Saturday. It seems the Swans don't want to many people turning up. Maybe they're also hosting the following week and want to generate a bit of revenue from the gate for the Marsh series match?
    The GWS website has essentially what was on the Swans website too.

    It would be great to hear from any attendees not just details of the training/match (or whatever it is), but also if anyone travels there by light rail.

  3. #495
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    9.30 am at Lakeside this Saturday is the skinny. Typically, Giants media not Swans come through with the goods: Match Simulation Saturday. It seems the Swans don't want to many people turning up. Maybe they're also hosting the following week and want to generate a bit of revenue from the gate for the Marsh series match?
    I would think its more to do with the fact that there is little to no viewing areas . There is a slight mound in one corner and then you can stand around the fence on the SCG side but otherwise nothing. Once you put support teams , players etc around on that same side there is even less viewing .

  4. #496
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    The GWS website has essentially what was on the Swans website too.

    It would be great to hear from any attendees not just details of the training/match (or whatever it is), but also if anyone travels there by light rail.
    The key difference is that GWS provide the start time. A small but significant difference. The vagueness of when the match will be on, together with the statement "Interested spectators are advised that only limited facilities will be available at the training session with members and fans instead encouraged to attend the opening match of the Marsh Community Series just seven days later" combine to give me the impression the Swans don't want too many people there. The other difference is that GWS publicise the cost of the Marsh series match which arguably might cause more people to choose the less formal match this Saturday instead of the one the following week, hence its omission by the Swans.

  5. #497
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The key difference is that GWS provide the start time. A small but significant difference. The vagueness of when the match will be on, together with the statement "Interested spectators are advised that only limited facilities will be available at the training session with members and fans instead encouraged to attend the opening match of the Marsh Community Series just seven days later" combine to give me the impression the Swans don't want too many people there. The other difference is that GWS publicise the cost of the Marsh series match which arguably might cause more people to choose the less formal match this Saturday instead of the one the following week, hence its omission by the Swans.
    I reached the same conclusion you did.

    I might go anyway, but it's a punt as it's out of my way to go on a Saturday morning when there's no guarantee of decent viewing, and the atmosphere will be non-existent due to the lack of spectators. A real shame as these matches are often the only platform for the more unknown Swans to take the lead and have more prominent roles in a match, besides the NEAFL of course. The upside is that our Marsh series doesn't sound like it will feature too many familiar faces. I'm assuming all of Mills, Lloyd, Papley, Reid, McCartin, Franklin, Heeney and Rampe will miss at least one of the Marsh matches, which gives the likes of McInerney, Foot, Stephens, Gould, Warner etc a chance to be more heavily involved than perhaps they might've been were they in a pre-season line-up stacked with senior players.

    But still, disappointing about the practice match this weekend. Why promote it on social media if you're going to discourage fans attending in a roundabout way?

  6. #498
    I assume that they are lowering any expectations that it is going to resemble a match day experience. And instead be more like watching a friday training session.

    Though I prefer the henson park intra club games. I am still looking forward to seeing the young players get to play against another afl team for the first time. And Saturday morning suits me because I work weekdays so not seen them train for a while.

  7. #499
    At Tramway/Lakeside, I mean.

  8. #500
    What that blank post I tried to post last night was meant to say: in fairness the facilities at Tramway oval are pretty limited. There is one small toilet block, maybe a drinking fountain somewhere, no cover from the weather apart from some trees on the SCG boundary and little elevation to watch the play. This is probably why all the NEAFL matches are being scheduled at BISP. Pity Waverley Park's surface isn't up to scratch for NEAFL level because they have a grandstand, cafe and great location walking distance from the beach. Ditto Henson.

    Moving on, I came across this better than average report on Swans pre-season: Injured Buddy still mentoring AFL's Swans. What's interesting is that we've got problems with injuries in our KPF stocks. Apart from Buddy, who is busy rehabbing, both Reid and McCartin are dealing with issues (in McCartin's case, hamstrings, in Reid's case, undisclosed). Cal Sinclair might be more of a chance of being selected alongside Naismith, except that both of them are both coming back from significant injuries and surgery so who knows. On top of that leaping Isaac Heeney is still with his broken thumb and that's another useful target in the forward half. And as the article points out, our small forwards - Papley, L.Taylor, Gray and Ronke - have been training together in the same forward line for weeks.

    Makes it hard to predict who's going to line up in our front half come round 1. Papley and Hayward you would think are locks. Given the lack of talls you would think at least two of L.Taylor/Gray/Ronke are a good chance also. Might mean that Blakey will go forward in Round 1 (irrespective of what he does in the Marsh series) and others will get opportunities on the wings - like Dylan Stephens or even Lloyd, in the perhaps unlikely event that the match committee decides they can spare him from the backline. May also leave room for COR to keep his spot in the backline.

  9. #501
    There are still 4 weeks until Rd 1. A lot can happen in that time. Experienced players will get picked for Rd 1 even if they don’t play any Marsh series.

  10. #502
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    4,196
    Anyone going to this mornings trial game against GWS? Reports much appreciated

  11. #503
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Anyone going to this mornings trial game against GWS? Reports much appreciated
    Yeah I hope we get some detailed reports on all our players by dedicated RWOers like in years past! We certainly won't be able to rely on the Swans media team to do it for us...

    Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

  12. #504
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,221
    Just a sketchy 3/4 time update from the Swans twitter.

    "GWS 9.8.62
    SYD 6.7.43

    Lloyd topping the disposals with 19, Cunningham and Kennedy with 13 each.

    Goals to Blakey (3), Papley, Mills and Gray."

    Interesting that Blakey has three goals. I wonder if he's playing key forward, in the absence of Franklin, Reid and McCartin? And a goal to Mills?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO