Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

I didn't see much of the game but the bits I saw were concerning to say the least. Like everyone else, I am most concerned about the midfield. Parker is lumped in with JPK a lot but he is only 27 and should be our bull this year and be pushing for AA squad.

However, for us to get back to where we belong, we really need to get significant natural improvement out of the 21-25 age range such as Florent and Hewett. Oli looked good getting the ball but his disposal was pretty average. Hewett only got 9 touches (7HB/2K) in 81% game time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I really liked what I saw of Mills in the Allies for the first three quarters at least. I would leave him in defence. The player who I believe looks more like a midfielder is Rampe. If Aliir, Brand, Mills, Melican and Maibaum can handle the tall defence positions I would like to see Rampe trialled at least in the midfield. I know people will say that is robbing Peter to pay Paul but the midfield is where we are desparate for a strong inside player. Rampe is strong and an elite kick. Main concern is his back standing up to it.

It is an even year. Going on historical data do not expect Sam Reid to even get on the park. I don't even know what his multiple injuries are but he only needs one injury to be out for a very significant amount of time.

Have not given up on the Swans yet as they are notoriously poor pre season but yesterdays performance was hitting a new low for them.
    Agree re Rampe. Maybe Gould is the one to replace him by next year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Having never even played a game of footy, let alone at the elite level, how long would it take Mills to adjust to the midfield at an AFL level given he was only played defence? Could we afford to have him finding his feet there for a few months? (Genuine questions, would be interested in others thoughts)
    I believe Mills showed in the Bushfire game two days ago exactly why he is playing in defence for us......because he is one of the most elite defenders in the league. Take him out of there and our defence will be even less experienced.

At seasons end, we either recruit a defender as good as him (so he can finally go into the midfield 'promise land') or we recruit a gun mid and he stays where, so far, he has proven to be elite.

A major problem with putting Mills-the-Messiah into the midfield is that he’s slow. Our on ballers are slow enough as it is without chucking another plodder in there. Hence we’ve been trying to develop quicker players to play on the inside e.g Florent

- - - Updated - - -

Surely this is the year Hewitt has to step up?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I believe Mills showed in the Bushfire game two days ago exactly why he is playing in defence for us......because he is one of the most elite defenders in the league. Take him out of there and our defence will be even less experienced.

At seasons end, we either recruit a defender as good as him (so he can finally go into the midfield 'promise land') or we recruit a gun mid and he stays where, so far, he has proven to be elite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    A major problem with putting Mills-the-Messiah into the midfield is that he’s slow. Our on ballers are slow enough as it is without chucking another plodder in there. Hence we’ve been trying to develop quicker players to play on the inside e.g Florent

- - - Updated - - -

I have to agree with both of this. It would be nice if Mills to the midfield was the panacea but let's just enjoy the fact that he is one hell of a footballer playing elite defence. He was the youngest player on the field on Friday night too.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes It is slow but the slow guys who used to be capable of delivering 30 + possessions , many contested , along with good clearance and tackle numbers ( JPK and Parker ) just aren’t doing it as constantly as they used to. Coupled with the loss / demise of others that did the same ( KJ , Mitchell, Hanners ). We lack ball winners more than anything. Pace is an issue yes, but it becomes irrelevant when your starting mids cant even get their hands on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player

- - - Updated - - -

Yep and yep. Hewett's was one of the more underwhelming performances yesterday.

I see Darcy Cameron played very well in the ruck for Collingwood against Richmond!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I see Darcy Cameron played very well in the ruck for Collingwood against Richmond!!!!!
    No doubt it'll be another embarrassing experience losing a quality ruckman who can't get a game over 2 or 3 spuds we have decided we prefer...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    No doubt it'll be another embarrassing experience losing a quality ruckman who can't get a game over 2 or 3 spuds we have decided we prefer...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    A good tap ruckman was once important but now much less so. The mids mark each other so closely now that the contest is where the ball lands. It's very rare for a ruckman to tap directly into his team mates hands.

And therein lies our problem and why Naismith (or even Grundy and Hawn) is unlikely to fix too much. Hence we should aim for a ruckman who can gain a degree of parity but is mobile enough to drop back in defence or sneak into our forward 50. Our defenders especially are going to need as much help as possible in 2020 I suspect..................

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    In reality half the team didn’t play, and our reserves are not all first round picks like GWS.
    Yep. The big takeaway from this match is that GWS will contest the NEAFL GF.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yep and yep. Hewett's was one of the more underwhelming performances yesterday.
    Wasn't Hewitt runner up in the B and F last year? One meaningless practice game and you're into him. Deserves more respect. Works his backside off when it counts.