Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 100

Thread: Pre-season 2020

  1. #61
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedjosh View Post
    Papley is doing rehab on his shoulder at the moment according to Horse, so he wouldn't be training with the main squad right now I suspect. I can't post links yet in this forum but it is on SEN at the moment. 3rd last paragraph.
    Here is the link: Longmire comments on Papley situation ahead of 2020 season The 10 minutes interview can be heard at https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=458746

  2. #62
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    277
    Part of Horse comments this morning is also reported here: Why Longmire loves November - sydneyswans.com.au

  3. #63
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I asked Zach Gates (Swans media) the Ling question this morning. He said that Ling was running well at training on Monday. He didn’t run the 2km time trial but was looking nippy running laps and doing run-throughs. If he keeps fit (and everyone is hoping he does) then there enormous upside with what he can bring.

    Note - ones to watch this season are - Blakey, Rowbottom and Dawson. They look set to take off.

    Side note - the Gates' family are lovely! I taught with Zach's father for a few years down the south coast and had his older brothers in their HSC years. Quality family.
    I'm also keen to see how Ling goes this season. Injury free, I see him as our natural replacement for Jones: fast, very elusive, takes the game on and a bit feisty. Although unlikely to make up the majority of our tribunal appearances, like Jones.

  4. #64
    If Ling is fit I think he'd be a massive improvement over Zones. Ling's ball use in his highlights video is exquisite. I really hope he gets his body right.

  5. #65
    I think Ling will need more than fitness to be an improvement on Jones. Jones has a match hardened body and nearly 100 games under his belt, even if Ling's ultimate ceiling may be higher. At this stage we still don't know if Ling is going to make it and ever be a best 22 player for us. Here's hoping he will and he will be! We need him.

  6. #66
    Goes up to 11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,094
    I reckon O'Riordan will be a decent Jones replacement at least for a while.....

  7. #67
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    6,604
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I reckon O'Riordan will be a decent Jones replacement at least for a while.....
    I think so too. He has good pace, knows where to run and where to kick, and in what I have seen of him is becoming a very accurate kick from just about any position.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  8. #68
    Some of COR's decision making has seemed a bit suspect at times, and a bit inconsistent, but that isn't surprising considering he is still a slightly raw Irish lad. He had a patch in 2019 where he was bloody fantastic coming off the half back flank and if he can rediscover that form he'll be so dangerous for us slingshotting the ball back into attacking areas.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedjosh View Post
    Some of COR's decision making has seemed a bit suspect at times, and a bit inconsistent, but that isn't surprising considering he is still a slightly raw Irish lad. He had a patch in 2019 where he was bloody fantastic coming off the half back flank and if he can rediscover that form he'll be so dangerous for us slingshotting the ball back into attacking areas.
    Reckon he could play as a speedy mid as well

  10. #70
    With McCartin still be developed more so as a forward as per Longmires comments that for me has Dawson more playing the HBF and setting up our transitions with Lloyd, Rampe, Mills, AA

    For me that means Oriordan “if” he gets back into the back 6 will play a tight nick smith role as there is plenty of attack with the 5 above

    I can’t see Oriordan playing in the mids ahead of the talent we have in the midfield

  11. #71
    Yeah McCartin seems to be developing as a hard working utility rather than a pure forward, which is actually fine with me, he's got the size and work ethic to play almost anywhere and we need KPD depth. Having a genuine utility rather than a Dean Towers (sorry Dean, you got a bad rap when you were actually a decent player) can offer a lot to a team and provide great flexibility.

    I'm also really interested to see what happens in that lockdown small role as we have a few guys who could potentially take that spot if they want a regular senior spot. Mills seemed to play it last year but I think it would be a waste of his talents. COR and Thurlow seem to be the first two cabs off the rank for it, but Stoddart and McInerney could also be young options worth a look in the NEAFL.

    The reality is, we now have a number of spots that are up for grabs if some young guys want to take the next step in their careers. Whilst we have had a lot of kids nibble around the edges, this is the season where they need to take a big bite and cement a spot in the best 22.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedjosh View Post
    Yeah McCartin seems to be developing as a hard working utility rather than a pure forward, which is actually fine with me, he's got the size and work ethic to play almost anywhere and we need KPD depth. Having a genuine utility rather than a Dean Towers (sorry Dean, you got a bad rap when you were actually a decent player) can offer a lot to a team and provide great flexibility.

    I'm also really interested to see what happens in that lockdown small role as we have a few guys who could potentially take that spot if they want a regular senior spot. Mills seemed to play it last year but I think it would be a waste of his talents. COR and Thurlow seem to be the first two cabs off the rank for it, but Stoddart and McInerney could also be young options worth a look in the NEAFL.

    The reality is, we now have a number of spots that are up for grabs if some young guys want to take the next step in their careers. Whilst we have had a lot of kids nibble around the edges, this is the season where they need to take a big bite and cement a spot in the best 22.
    McCartins biggest drawback in the forward role is his pretty ordinary kicking at goal. Unless this improves he will have to be a utility.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO