Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    On an unrelated note, both my sisters and nephews met Aliir Aliir, James Rowbottom, Lewis Melican and Michael Knoll today. Heard the former two were very friendly and outgoing, were total naturals with the kids and went the extra mile to try and include every child in what was a pretty large group of kids. The latter two my other sister could barely get two words out of, both looked shy and awkward in the limelight but were polite and had none of the bravado that other professional athletes she's met have had.

She also spoke highly of the Swans staff who were coordinating, and said they went against their own schedule to try and ensure everyone got photos and autographs. But unanimous praise for our conduct from both, and my sister who drove just over an hour to make the session said it was well worth the trip for anyone contemplating doing the same in the future.
    Every time I see media of James Rowbottom he impresses me. Aliir has had plenty of practice with all his ambassadorships etc and is always smiling and joking around.

The only one of the those players I have spoken to directly is Michael Knoll after the Eagles match at the SCG last year, soon after he had arrived at the club. He came across as polite and friendly. I remember him referring to his wife and saying they were settling in well. Before we had the chance to speak much further, I spotted Mike Pyke near by. I asked Michael Knoll if he knew who Mike Pyke was and he hadn't even heard of him so I though I should introduce them, given they were both rucks converting from other sports and Mike Pyke was so successful and Knoll just starting out and looking to emulate Pyke. So, I did introduce them and that was that. Mike brushed me aside, barely even looked at me, and then took Michael Knoll aside to speak to him. I was glad to have brokered the introduction but a little disappointed to be given such short shrift by Mike Pyke, especially since I was a fan of his and had often thought he would be an interesting guy to nominate in one of those 'who would you invite to a dinner party' scenarios.

Suspended by the MRP
    That is disappointing. There's always a few in every group. I've made the frequent pitstop by the entrance at home games where I've met many of the players. There are a few who seem pretty arrogant and unfriendly. One even appeared to have no idea how to talk to my son at all, as though he'd never interacted with a child before. It's a kid, not an alien! Left him very underwhelmed.

I suppose to give them the benefit of the doubt they may just have defence mechanisms in place if they're uncomfortable with the attention, so that awkwardness might come off as rudeness. I've seen it in a few of the younger current Swans, but I would've expected better of Mike Pyke to be frank.

That is disappointing. There's always a few in every group. I've made the frequent pitstop by the entrance at home games where I've met many of the players. There are a few who seem pretty arrogant and unfriendly. One even appeared to have no idea how to talk to my son at all, as though he'd never interacted with a child before. It's a kid, not an alien! Left him very underwhelmed.

I suppose to give them the benefit of the doubt they may just have defence mechanisms in place if they're uncomfortable with the attention, so that awkwardness might come off as rudeness. I've seen it in a few of the younger current Swans, but I would've expected better of Mike Pyke to be frank.
    Absolutely. While it was a bit disappointing I have no idea of the circumstances and have not written off Mike Pyke. He was called upon to speak behind a mike a few minutes later and he may have been focused on that, or he may have been aware of limited time, or any one of a million things. I'd still welcome another chance to speak to him.

Regular in the Side
    Pre-season games availability: According to https://www.afl.com.au/news/372092/m...-missing-faces, Lance Franklin (knee) and Lewis Melican (hamstring) won't be seen. Isaac Heeney (thumb) and Sam Reid (calf) are unlikely. Dane Rampe (calf) is a chance for week one but more likely week two. Second-round draft pick Elijah Taylor won't play but it is unclear if he is injured? ... Tom McCartin and Matthew Ling are also carrying niggles but the club says both are available.

Veteran Site Admin
    Have it on good authority that we will have a scratch match against GWS next Saturday. Exact location and time TBD
    Anyone heard anything more about this? Next Saturday is now this coming Saturday.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Anyone heard anything more about this? Next Saturday is now this coming Saturday.
    There is an article on the swans site. It's happening Saturday morning at Lakeside Oval, but no time mentioned. It says there are limited facilities available and are encouraging spectators to attend the pre season game instead.

Suspended by the MRP
    It's somewhat disappointing that the intra-club (or in this case, inter-club) hit-out has not been made much of a priority this year. I've enjoyed the intraclubs at Henson in the past more than the JLT games. At the very least I hope they stream on Saturday.

Warming the Bench
    I met Mike Pyke in the street a couple of years back and he was warm, friendly and endearing - and happy to have a chat. All people have their good days and their bad days, and its the snippets that we as fans hold onto, whereas for the players, they encounter many of us. We intrude into their life, and whilst generally they are very accomodating, maybe he had other things on his mind. He is a fairly driven person. Anyway don't write him off

It's somewhat disappointing that the intra-club (or in this case, inter-club) hit-out has not been made much of a priority this year. I've enjoyed the intraclubs at Henson in the past more than the JLT games. At the very least I hope they stream on Saturday.
    I agreeā€”I loved that sense of things getting real with a Friday evening out at Henson. Great atmosphere, proximity to players, kick to kick in the breaks, cars parked behind the goal square. But I also heard that there are issues with the hardness of the surface there which made a difficult proposition. And the past three seasons the event has been impacted by the hot weather; perhaps a morning hit out on the better surface at Lakeside is a better option in terms of player management.

Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    I met Mike Pyke in the street a couple of years back and he was warm, friendly and endearing - and happy to have a chat. All people have their good days and their bad days, and its the snippets that we as fans hold onto, whereas for the players, they encounter many of us. We intrude into their life, and whilst generally they are very accomodating, maybe he had other things on his mind. He is a fairly driven person. Anyway don't write him off
    Some swans players are very engaging and some are very quiet and shy. At the end of the day they have been recruited to win premierships first and foremost. Nick Smith was very very shy and the swans did not ask him to do much. However he was critical to the swans defence and a swans great.

Also it is worth remembering that some of these players are very young, and come from some pretty quiet areas. Many boys hardly speak, preferring to eat and grunt. I know mine is like that! As for Mike Pike who knows what was going on. I do remember bumping into Adam Goodes outside the SCG immediately after he was was told he was dropped for poor form late in his career. It was very obvious he was not up for a chat!

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Some swans players are very engaging and some are very quiet and shy. At the end of the day they have been recruited to win premierships first and foremost. Nick Smith was very very shy and the swans did not ask him to do much. However he was critical to the swans defence and a swans great.

Also it is worth remembering that some of these players are very young, and come from some pretty quiet areas. Many boys hardly speak, preferring to eat and grunt. I know mine is like that! As for Mike Pike who knows what was going on. I do remember bumping into Adam Goodes outside the SCG immediately after he was was told he was dropped for poor form late in his career. It was very obvious he was not up for a chat!
    Nick Smith is now working with the Academy and his rapport with the kids is by all accounts very good.

Horses for courses.

Pyke from all accounts is a pretty serious and focused individual so probably not one for a light hearted chat but a friend of mine interviewed him once and said it was a fascinating insight into his role in the 2012 GF.

Love the photo of Chad Warner showing how he (literally and metaphorically) is prepared to get his hands dirty: Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club. Also shows a disregard for OHS issues that is a bit alarming for himself personally but an exciting quality for an inside mid, in the veins of Paul Kelly or Jude Bolton and even Hanners (it's also reminiscent of that Cometti-ism quoted in the other thread - "he acts like he's using someone else's body"). Not that I want players to disregard there own longterm future wellbeing for the sake of a game.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 20th February 2020 at 03:12 PM.