Page 45 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    The conspiracy theorist in me believes there is something fishy going on with two of our talls in Buddy and McLean. I noticed throughout the Swans media team's coverage of the community camps that every listed Swan was involved - except those two. I know these community camps are held in the highest regard by the club, which is why the entire squad is usually involved. So there is obviously a very significant reason those two were not part of it, and I'm stumped as to what it could be.
    Can't speak for McLean but Buddy's wife gave birth on Sunday so he obviously wanted to be with his pregnant wife.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The bigger question is "What were you doing up and on your computer at 4:27am TheBloods?"
    Hey not everyone can have one of those nice 9 to 5 jobs!

Veterans List
    Hayward still missing easy shots at goal. His excuse last year was a crook hip. Who can forget his woeful miss from the goal square against Essendon at the "G". Enough excuses, maybe he is just a poor kick for goal. This year will show if he is over rated or not. He needs to get a heck of a lot more of the footy and improve his forward defensive skills big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Hayward still missing easy shots at goal. His excuse last year was a crook hip. Who can forget his woeful miss from the goal square against Essendon at the "G". Enough excuses, maybe he is just a poor kick for goal. This year will show if he is over rated or not. He needs to get a heck of a lot more of the footy and improve his forward defensive skills big time.
    Apparently this has been the first time Hayward has had a full preseason and he's ready to go. Let's hope it's just nerves or him being over-excited. I'm hoping he has a ripper season along with some others.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Hey not everyone can have one of those nice 9 to 5 jobs!
    I should have realised.....and I'm a nurse (but day shift only).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Bit harsh, he was consistent his first 2 years kicking for goal. converted 62% of the time. Last year was 42%. So he has been accurate, unless he's got the yips i can't see why he does't capture the form he had as novice when he has continuity in his footy and body.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Bit harsh, he was consistent his first 2 years kicking for goal. converted 62% of the time. Last year was 42%. So he has been accurate, unless he's got the yips i can't see why he does't capture the form he had as novice when he has continuity in his footy and body.
    Just an observation, but he still doesn't get anywhere near enough possessions, and doesn't get where the ball is at anywhere near often enough. By the way any of us would have kicked that goal with a broken leg.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The comments already posted ram home why I've been reluctant to post anything re the game. It's incredibly hard to get much of a gauge at a ground with no viewing angle (especially height),
    I felt the same way. I was in line with the centre square and still found it hard to get a good view of all the play. I also struggle to focus on everything when I can see clearly. So hesitant to make any firm judgments.

- GWS started the game much better. They scored a few early goals getting it forward quickly off turnover. And initially were better when the ball hit the ground and linking with handballs around the contest. After that the rest of the game was more even and more of a grind. Our best period was the start of the fourth quarter where we were camped in their defensive 50 for a while and had a few gettable set shots. There was light rain during the third quarter.

- Papley, Hayward and Blakey looked dangerous as a unit throughout the game with their pace and skill. In the first half anything positive came from their ability to counter attack and run past the GWS defenders. I thought Papley looked good and we will miss him if eventually goes. Just quick reaction when the ball get near him and capable of picking it up and exploding. Blakey and Hayward made a few breakaway runs where they got behind the defence. And I feel this season they will worry defenders who have to mark them.

- In midfield I thought Kennedy and Rowbottom were solid throughout the game and stuck at it. At the contest they were always there to shut GWS down or try to win the ball. At the time I didn't think Florent was as consistent and surprised how many possessions he got. But he had flashier moments like being able to pick up a loose ball and burst forward out of the contest and go for a run.

- I didn't focus my attention on our defence. But Aliir seemed to do ok throughout the game. He took a few intercept marks and he had composure when the ball hit the ground.

- Of our newer players. Warner surprised me the most. He played inside mid mostly. He did the simple things right. He pressured, tackled and locked the ball in. He picked up loose balls and got a clean handball out. He took a few uncontested marks and made some simple passes. I am not saying it was a dominant performance. But I can see him playing well in the NEAFL and then playing a few AFL games off the bench as an inside mid probably later in the season.

- Stephens got involved. I saw him take a few possessions and make some tackles. But I agree he will take a while to get used to the pace of AFL football. There was moments he was about to make an attacking pass or start to make a run and he would get closed down. But that will only come with getting match experience at that level.

- I did not end up observing Gould too much because I end up focusing on the play rather than observing defenders off the ball. But I did see him and Wicks do a lengthy training drill with the coaches immediately after the game. They set up about five different coloured cones with a ball next to it arranged in a circle. The coach would call out a colour and they would race each other to the cone, the coach would then call another colour and they would have to change direction and sprint to that one. Eventually the coach would allow them to pick the ball up and the winner to the ball would pick it up and dispose of it under pressure. I assumed the drill was practicing tracking leads and being able to change direction and stay in the contest. But it was good signs that he was able to match Wicks who is quite quick.

- Of other fringe players. I remember Bell making a good driving tackle off half forward. Also Wicks looked good as a pressure forward using his agility and acceleration to run players down. I don't remember specific moments of Mcinerney on the wing. But I feel that will be his natural position longer term. I feel he has the natural tendancy to be defensively disciplined and scrap for the ball and then gradually develop his outside attacking game.
    Last edited by SeanM; 27th February 2020 at 12:32 AM.

Veterans List
    Nick Smith back in a part time coaching role. The website article says it's development coach with the Academy but the way I read it there also seems involvement with the main list.

Welcome back Nick, always under rated as a player but a valuable addition off field.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I felt the same way. I was in line with the centre square and still found it hard to get a good view of all the play. I also struggle to focus on everything when I can see clearly. So hesitant to make any firm judgments.

- GWS started the game much better. They scored a few early goals getting it forward quickly off turnover. And initially were better when the ball hit the ground and linking with handballs around the contest. After that the rest of the game was more even and more of a grind. Our best period was the start of the fourth quarter where we were camped in their defensive 50 for a while and had a few gettable set shots. There was light rain during the third quarter.

- Papley, Hayward and Blakey looked dangerous as a unit throughout the game with their pace and skill. In the first half anything positive came from their ability to counter attack and run past the GWS defenders. I thought Papley looked good and we will miss him if eventually goes. Just quick reaction when the ball get near him and capable of picking it up and exploding. Blakey and Hayward made a few breakaway runs where they got behind the defence. And I feel this season they will worry defenders who have to mark them.

- In midfield I thought Kennedy and Rowbottom were solid throughout the game and stuck at it. At the contest they were always there to shut GWS down or try to win the ball. At the time I didn't think Florent was as consistent and surprised how many possessions he got. But he had flashier moments like being able to pick up a loose ball and burst forward out of the contest and go for a run.

- I didn't focus my attention on our defence. But Aliir seemed to do ok throughout the game. He took a few intercept marks and he had composure when the ball hit the ground.

- Of our newer players. Warner surprised me the most. He played inside mid mostly. He did the simple things right. He pressured, tackled and locked the ball in. He picked up loose balls and got a clean handball out. He took a few uncontested marks and made some simple passes. I am not saying it was a dominant performance. But I can see him playing well in the NEAFL and then playing a few AFL games off the bench as an inside mid probably later in the season.

- Stephens got involved. I saw him take a few possessions and make some tackles. But I agree he will take a while to get used to the pace of AFL football. There was moments he was about to make an attacking pass or start to make a run and he would get closed down. But that will only come with getting match experience at that level.

- I did not end up observing Gould too much because I end up focusing on the play rather than observing defenders off the ball. But I did see him and Wicks do a lengthy training drill with the coaches immediately after the game. They set up about five different coloured cones with a ball next to it arranged in a circle. The coach would call out a colour and they would race each other to the cone, the coach would then call another colour and they would have to change direction and sprint to that one. Eventually the coach would allow them to pick the ball up and the winner to the ball would pick it up and dispose of it under pressure. I assumed the drill was practicing tracking leads and being able to change direction and stay in the contest. But it was good signs that he was able to match Wicks who is quite quick.

- Of other fringe players. I remember Bell making a good driving tackle off half forward. Also Wicks looked good as a pressure forward using his agility and acceleration to run players down. I don't remember specific moments of Mcinerney on the wing. But I feel that will be his natural position longer term. I feel he has the natural tendancy to be defensively disciplined and scrap for the ball and then gradually develop his outside attacking game.
    All perspectives are welcomed, sounded like an interesting day nonetheless.

I particularly like hearing that Kennedy was good in the midfield. Not because I doubt him, but because both he and Parker are still very clearly the driving forces of our team. From the many training reports this pre-season, the performances of young Swans like Stephens, Blakey, Rowbottom, Dawson, Warner and Florent have been noted as stand-outs, but in truth, it still looks very obvious (to me at least) that Kennedy and Parker will be major factors in our fortunes for 2020. Parker, had a delayed return to training due to injury before the break, and slotted straight back in and was his usual self in match sim. As fans we love to see the younger players shine, and a few of them have certainly made me feel enthusiastic about the upcoming season, but there is a reason those two are co-captains, and it's not just because of their relative experience.

As a side note, I secretly hope we rest Kennedy for a match in the first month so that he and Parker can celebrate their 200th and 250th together in round 5 in a derby at the SCG. What an amazing moment that would be

On the veteran's list
    Finally some sense! Cane Cornes has picked us to finish 8th. First time anyone has had us above about 13th.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Finally some sense! Cane Cornes has picked us to finish 8th. First time anyone has had us above about 13th.
    Surely not the same Kane Cornes so often disparaged and reviled on these pages? Where's the link? SEN?

Yes, here it is: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/...emiership-tip/.