Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

It ended up a twenty point win to GWS: 12-8 80 to 8-12 60. Taylor and Wicks got last quarter goals. Our top disposal getters for the match were:
    Lloyd 19
    Kennedy 17
    Cunningham / Florent 16
    Gray, Taylor, Hewitt, Dawson 15.

Senior Player
    No one Went in the end? I would love to hear how Naismith went in particular.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    No one Went in the end? I would love to hear how Naismith went in particular.
    He probably only played the first half. His calf and thigh were wrapped with ice packs after half time. He was OK but I can't recall any highlights. Knoll played a little. According to Swans fine-tune for Round 1 , no one in the team was "injured" in the game. A notable absence this morning was Parker. Even those players who are in rehabs turned up in but did not see Parker. May be he is "sick"? At least the following players did not play:Clarke, Heeney, Thurlow, Ling, Reed, Mailbaum, Buddy, Rampe, Parker, McCartin, , O'connor, Mclean, Melican, Amartey, E Taylor. At this stage GWS is much stronger than us but we have improved in speed.

Veterans List
    I see our goal kicking hasn't improved šŸ™.

Veteran Site Admin
    You can add Stoddart, Foot, Reynolds and Rowles to the list of players not participating.

Wicks, Knoll and Gould were held back until after half-time. I suspect three players were swapped out for those three. Certainly Naismith only played the first half (a swap for Knoll, though Sinclair did most of the ruckwork in the second half). I don't believe I saw Mills after half-time, but I can't say for sure he sat out. I can't identify another player who also definitely sat out the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You can add Stoddart, Foot, Reynolds and Rowles to the list of players not participating.

Wicks, Knoll and Gould were held back until after half-time. I suspect three players were swapped out for those three. Certainly Naismith only played the first half (a swap for Knoll, though Sinclair did most of the ruckwork in the second half). I don't believe I saw Mills after half-time, but I can't say for sure he sat out. I can't identify another player who also definitely sat out the second half.
    173229"]I went to the game, Blakey is a freak. Just so good at reading the ball and getting into position.
    Papley was sharp in the first half, Rowbottom got involved, Hayward did a few very high intensity acts.

I was a bit disappointed in gray, Ronke, and Lewis. Gray and lewis looked heavy and slow. They got a full game, I guess so the coaches can get a good look. The biggest thing they lack is forward pressure. I donā€™t recall them laying any tackles and noted how easy gws were exciting our forward half.

Ronke still hasnā€™t captured form yet. He seemed ineffective given he played the whole game.

Warner is impressive, and looks a good find, as is Stephens. Both cracked in physically and looked at home.

McInerney did a few good things.

Gws started the game with their best side. They got a good jump, but they are in the premiership window. The swans on the other hand had new faces and were trying new things. In the first half whilst Mumford was beaten in the taps, the gws midfield of Kelly, Taranto etc killed us. They were just too quick and slick having played together so much. Our midfield had new faces and seemed a bit slow off the mark.

In the second half gws rested guys like Taranto, green, Kelly and so the game became more even. The swans also started to pile on more forward pressure largely sparked by Wicks who only played a bit more than a quarter.

Overall gws looked much more classy, which is understanderable, however the swans have ticker. Better kicking for goal would have made a closer game.

The biggest take away for me was Blakey. Once he really grabs hold of the game it is unclear how opposition sides will contain him.

Off the top of my head these are the guys that played.

Defence
    Aliir, Dawson, Mills, Cunningham, Brand, Lloyd, Gould, CoR and Fox.

Rucks
    Naismith, Sinclair and Knoll. (Though Sinclair was sometimes full forward)

Inside Mids
    Kennedy, Hewett, Rowbottom, Warner and Florent.

Wing
    Mcinerney, Taylor and Stephens

Forwards
    Papley, Haywood, Blakey, Gray, Ronke, Bell and Wicks. (Though Gray was in midfield occasionally.)
    Last edited by SeanM; 23rd February 2020 at 04:01 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    173229"]I went to the game, Blakey is a freak. Just so good at reading the ball and getting into position.
    Papley was sharp in the first half, Rowbottom got involved, Hayward did a few very high intensity acts.

I was a bit disappointed in gray, Ronke, and Lewis. Gray and lewis looked heavy and slow. They got a full game, I guess so the coaches can get a good look. The biggest thing they lack is forward pressure. I donā€™t recall them laying any tackles and noted how easy gws were exciting our forward half.

Ronke still hasnā€™t captured form yet. He seemed ineffective given he played the whole game.

Warner is impressive, and looks a good find, as is Stephens. Both cracked in physically and looked at home.

Gws started the game with their best side. They got a good jump, but they are in the premiership window. The swans on the other hand had new faces and were trying new things. In the first half whilst Mumford was beaten in the taps, the gws midfield of Kelly, Taranto etc killed us. They were just too quick and slick having played together so much. Our midfield had new faces and seemed a bit slow off the mark.

In the second half gws rested guys like Taranto, green, Kelly and so the game became more even. The swans also started to pile on more forward pressure largely sparked by Wicks who only played a bit more than a quarter.

Overall gws looked much more classy, which is understanderable, however the swans have ticker. Better kicking for goal would have made a closer game.

The biggest take away for me was Blakey. Once he really grabs hold of the game it is unclear how opposition sides will contain him.
    Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post

Ta. I'm also keen on seeing what Blakey can do this year. Preferably as someone who spends around fifty percent of his time in the forward line and the other fifty roaming through the midfield as a winger. If he managed a 25 or 30 possession game in that role, the damage he'd cause to the opposition would be immense.

Interesting what you said about our small forwards, as well. I see Papley as the obvious first choice, with Gray, Ronke and L. Taylor battling it out for a second spot. Though maybe another member of that group could be added, if it was part of a rotational plan, to get a bit more zip round the midfield. But if Grey and Taylor aren't really zipping, then that plan probably won't be enacted. It will also be interesting to see if Wicks can stake a claim for that spot. Watching the NEAFL, I always liked his tackling pressure and his effort, but thought that he needed to show a little bit more, on the attacking side of his game.

Senior Player
    I'm not overly excited by either Grey or Taylor. Suspect there's a reason they both fell out of favour at their previous clubs. If either becomes a regular contributor to a successful team, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Worth a punt though.

From these reports, and from reading other things over the summer, it looks like Stephens, Warner and Gould could all play this year. Stephens sounds near definite for round 1, Warner possible. They might give Gould a few NEAFL games first - start with Rampe, Aliir and Brand as the tall defenders.

Veterans List
    Gould should tear it up in the NEAFL. I reckon he'll debut in the one's before the bye rounds.....unless the existing back's are going too well.

Stephen's likely be the first draftee to debut and early......looks to be not only ready but frankly, we need his skills in the middle.

I missed the first quarter but saw the balance of the game. On Saturday I prepared a post with my observations. Unfortunately I was doing it on my phone and got interrupted part way through. Then, after I pressed submit, it told me I had 'timed out' and all that I had typed was lost. This is my first chance to post since. I will do my best to repeat my observations, some of which have now been covered and some of which are at odds with the reports of others:

* the good news was all three of our main rucks played: Naismith, Sinclair and Knoll. Sinclair spent part of his time forward. Naismith played first half, Knoll second half. I thought Knoll looked a bit better than Naismith around the ground although (and this applies to pretty much all these observations) my attention was split between different things and I wasn't paying close attention and don't have benefit of replays etc. At one point, Naismith made a really dumb mistake, punching the ball through for a behind from upfield of the goal square resulting in a free kick from the goal square and inevitable goal. If this was a regular season game I'd be pretty disgruntled with him. It was probably still allowed last time he played an AFL game and it is great that he has (hopefully) learned his lesson in a meaningless match.

* the bad news - we had a real dearth of KPPs. Tall players not playing included: Buddy, Rampe, McCartin, Reid, Melican, Maibaum, Thurlow, McLean and Amartey. (Also Reynolds if we're counting him as a tall.) Aliir and Brand were among the only talls that did play (not counting rucks). Aliir had an excellent game. Intercepting wonderfully, clunking some contested marks and directing some of the younger players in defence at times.

* conversely we had a plethora of small forwards including Papley, Lewis Taylor, Gray, Ronke and Wicks (2nd half only). I thought Papley, Gray and Taylor were all busy and active, Ronke not so much. Best I've seen from Taylor so far and he seems to be covering the ground better. Gray kicked a canny goal off the ground from a crumb in traffic close to goal. I didn't see Foot.

* Of our draftees Stephens, Warner and Gould played - Elijah Taylor, Rowles and O'Connor did not. Stephens looked a bit undersized but covered the ground and managed to show some composure and effect some good disposals under pressure when he got the ball. Warner was energetic and applied a fair bit of pressure to the opposition when they had the ball, tackling and hassling. He was also noticeably vocal. He and Stephens played the whole match. Gould only came in on the second half. He is a real unit and plays quite physically - lots of pushing and shoving with his opponent. Has benefitted from playing in the SANFL seniors I reckon. He played on opponents both bigger and smaller than himself and worked hard to keep close to them. He also had a brief stint in the midfield that I noticed.

* Disappointing not to see Ling or Stoddart. I wonder at so many players who might have been expected to get a go not getting a go. Is it undisclosed injuries or just that they are still some way off playing AFL and better to give opportunities to those that are closer?

* Generally we seemed undersized compared to GWS - a combination of our taller/bigger players being absent and having a younger and less physically seasoned team I suppose.

* I thought JPK was possibly our best player with Aliir also impressive and Dawson having an impact (playing predominantly at half back and rebounding the ball by foot). JPK was supported by his wife and kids in the (small) crowd. Emilio was wearing a Swans guernsey that said 'SMFC - DADDY - 12' and was busy mucking around with a ball on the field with another couple of little boys in the breaks. I think one of the other two kids he was playing with might have been one of Stevie J's kids. Does Stevie J have kids? It looked like he had one, maybe two, young daughters there too.

* The weather was mild with a bit of drizzle. Pleasant enough but maybe a bit slippery for handling the ball - plenty of dropped marks etc.

If I remember anything else of significance, I'll add later.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 24th February 2020 at 12:40 PM.