Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Anyone hear John Longmire on SEN this morning. Was a good 30 minute interview with lots of positives about draftees and emerging players. Felt like pulling the boots on myself. Maybe someone can find the link.
    Here is the link - https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=572913

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks for the link Aaron. There are a lot of players to get excited about on our list. I'm glad Horse had an opportunity to talk about players besides our number 23. We can be so Buddy-centric at times (myself included).

It'll be interesting to see what players turn up down the coast. I'll try and ask a few questions and report anything of note. There is a lot of communal grief in Ulladulla and its surrounds and the playing group turning up is a fine gesture by the club.

I'm stoked that horse is planning on playing Heeney forward and Mills back. Build a proper midfield from our midfielders. We have two elitely talented guys at each end.

IF they keep Heeney forward he'll kick 30 + goals and set up another 30. He is a creative impact player not an accumulator. On top of bud, Reid, paps, we will surpise a few this year. We will also be entertained.

Has there been any details published about the annual pre season intra club match at Henson Park. Been to the last few and they were enjoyable to watch.

Senior Player
    Mills is not an elite back

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Mills is not an elite back
    Let's touch base about that in October this year.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Love the 'Inside Sydney Episode 10', particularly the sequences where Laidler is training blockers to protect defenders going for the mark. "Pretend to be going for the ball" . . . "don't look at him, keep your eyes on the ball" etc. I wonder whether Alistair Clarkson is a regular viewer of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Love the 'Inside Sydney Episode 10', particularly the sequences where Laidler is training blockers to protect defenders going for the mark. "Pretend to be going for the ball" . . . "don't look at him, keep your eyes on the ball" etc. I wonder whether Alistair Clarkson is a regular viewer of the series.
    Yeah! It's a good series and the latest episode is possibly the best. I emailed the club to congratulate them about it yesterday.

I like the part you mentioned too although it highlights a funny part of our sport, namely that is full of simulation while simultaneously punishing players who are caught simulating. How is it that professional defenders can be so inept and fumbly? Why is that when players are trying to gather the ball near the goal line they so often can't quite grip it and knock it over the line? Isn't it surprising the way players being tackled try so hard to dispose of the ball but just seem unable to release it? etc. etc.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 14th February 2020 at 11:32 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I don't think it was a smart move to show that blocking training. I know that all clubs do it but the danger in it is that we could get singled out, especially after the whinging of Clarkson and his subsequent coffee with good mate Gil.

It's finally beginning to feel like the footy season is around the corner. It's 5 weeks until the footy season kicks off and our first match will be Saturday afternoon 21 March v Crows. Before then we'll get some intraclub stuff (probably at Tramway rather than Henson I would think, although Henson would be more fun) and the JLT (or whatever it's called these days).

I was just reflecting on the sad plight of Paddy McCartin when I thought that next time Tom runs out he will equal his older brother's (pick 1 2014 national draft) 35 games despite being more than three and a half years younger. Made me compare them a bit more. Tom is almost an inch shorter than Paddy and has kicks fewer goals. (Paddy averaged about a goal a game whereas Tom, so far, has averaged a bit over half that.) Overall we have been lucky (and astute) to draft Tom at pick 33 compared to Saints drafting Paddy at pick 1. Tom is going to keep getting better and who knows how good he'll be.

Nice article backing up our observations, and players comments (listen to Luke Parker on latest Conversation with Cal) about Chad Warner being a beast: 'Calm down': Why Horse had a word to feisty Sydney smokey.

Kennelly lapping up midfield role

I like the way McInerney is being viewed as a midfielder rather than another rebounding halfback (as Ling & Stoddart generally are viewed). I am encouraged to think we have a little bit more midfield depth than I had reckoned on and also that there is another pathway into the senior team for him. He's got so much promise! And glorious that he (and Bell and Rowbottom) can learn from the likes of Joey and Parksey (and also have players like Hewett, Heeney and Mills as another rung of experience in between).

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Has there been any details published about the annual pre season intra club match at Henson Park. Been to the last few and they were enjoyable to watch.
    From memory last year’s was cancelled (not enough fit listed players?) and they ended up playing an extra warmup game against GWS. Maybe they’re again waiting to see how many players might be available?