Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Suspended by the MRP
    I am fairly certain the scratch match against the Giants came on the weekend before JLT1 (now the Marsh series), most likely to get some continuity in the boys legs, essentially playing three pre-season matches in three weeks. If we opt for the same approach, look for a scratch match/intra club match to fall on the first weekend of the Marsh series, where we have a bye (next weekend.)

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    I'm stoked that horse is planning on playing Heeney forward and Mills back. Build a proper midfield from our midfielders. We have two elitely talented guys at each end.

IF they keep Heeney forward he'll kick 30 + goals and set up another 30. He is a creative impact player not an accumulator. On top of bud, Reid, paps, we will surpise a few this year. We will also be entertained.
    But they are both midfielders. Both were elite mids in their junior years and arguably should be in the middle this year. Mills was only played back as part of the education process for a young player, and Heens has been predominantly forward due a combination of team needs, his dynamic attacking play and potentially lack of a true midfielder's tank up till now.

The 'problem' for both is that they've been so good at it their roles to date. But if the team, and these two as individuals, is to move forward, they need to spend much more time in the guts in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Kennelly lapping up midfield role

I like the way McInerney is being viewed as a midfielder rather than another rebounding halfback (as Ling & Stoddart generally are viewed). I am encouraged to think we have a little bit more midfield depth than I had reckoned on and also that there is another pathway into the senior team for him. He's got so much promise! And glorious that he (and Bell and Rowbottom) can learn from the likes of Joey and Parksey (and also have players like Hewett, Heeney and Mills as another rung of experience in between).
    I agree about McInerny. He has some genuine pace and seems to get his own ball. I'm also quite excited about the mid depth. Throw in Warner as a raw inside pig and there is a lot going on. The issue is balance—how to get the right mix of old (smart and slow) and young. I think that Rowbottom is a very important part of the equation alongside Florent, and hope that we get something sustained from the emerging outside group including Bell, McInerny and perhaps Stephens. And, of course, Blakey given the licence to run whereever he wants.

Veterans List
    Horse seems a big wrap for Warner in the latest article and all but locked in Stephens for a R1 debut. Notice Harry also highlighted Stephens as standing out, a lot of senior SANFL experience.

McInerney is being mentioned a fair bit, seems to have risen up the pecking order if discussion is anything to go by.

Do not think that just because a player is in their first year they won't make the 22 or have an impact, look at the three 18yo's that Port played so much in 2019 with great success, if Stephens, Gould and Warner are ready, pick them!

Preseason matches should be very interesting, so much promising talent rising.
    Last edited by 707; 14th February 2020 at 06:08 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Have it on good authority that we will have a scratch match against GWS next Saturday. Exact location and time TBD

Starting to get excited about footy being back - its hard to judge what our 2020 will be like, but we have a lot of good young talent to watch developing if nothing else. And I think we could surprise plenty of the 'pundits' out there if things fall into place overall.

Liking the sound of what Gould and Stephens have been showing during pre-season, and can't wait to see the further development of Rowbottom - he really is going to be some player I think.

Good times might not be quite here yet, but I really think we are building alright and they are comin' again.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I am fairly certain the scratch match against the Giants came on the weekend before JLT1 (now the Marsh series), most likely to get some continuity in the boys legs, essentially playing three pre-season matches in three weeks. If we opt for the same approach, look for a scratch match/intra club match to fall on the first weekend of the Marsh series, where we have a bye (next weekend.)
    yes indeed it did. both GWS and our guys were going to have Intra-Club trials but after a bit of negotiation decided on a full match hit vout against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Mills is not an elite back
    yes he is. Stats say he is

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Horse seems a big wrap for Warner in the latest article and all but locked in Stephens for a R1 debut. Notice Harry also highlighted Stephens as standing out, a lot of senior SANFL experience.

McInerney is being mentioned a fair bit, seems to have risen up the pecking order if discussion is anything to go by.

Do not think that just because a player is in their first year they won't make the 22 or have an impact, look at the three 18yo's that Port played so much in 2019 with great success, if Stephens, Gould and Warner are ready, pick them!

Preseason matches should be very interesting, so much promising talent rising.
    Maybe in preseason games but I would be concerned not happy if our round 1 team included mcinerney, Gould , Stephens and Warner . Promise is one thing but to think that they have overtaken the current best 23 , then we have either just drafted the greatest crop of players ever assembled or we have a terrible list .

Suspended by the MRP
    Yes, I would be very surprised if all four of those you mentioned were in the round one team. Stephens and McInerney are vying for the same position pretty much, and Warner has been given the dreaded 'smokey' curse. Every year AFL.com writes up a draftee as a senior chance simply on the merit of them impressing their coaches. In 2018 it was Stoddart, last year it was McInerney. In both cases, neither were ready, and neither one played more than two games in those seasons. It's pleasing to hear that Warner is off to a great start, but I'd take his "smokey" label with a grain of salt. But we'll see how he goes up against the GWS midfield this Saturday.

Senior Player
    Care to show me the stats

He’s a good ordinary back man at best.

Yes he goes in hard, but he’s outmarked too often by the 3rd talls that Longmire plays him on, and his disposal isn’t good enough for quality transition out of defence.

if I had to pick a team to play a game tomorrow there’s at least 50-60 defenders in the league I’d pick before him which hardly screams elite to me

FWIW I think he’s being played out of position and would be better as an inside mid, but that is clearly not going to happen while Longmire is coach

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Care to show me the stats

He’s a good ordinary back man at best.

Yes he goes in hard, but he’s outmarked too often by the 3rd talls that Longmire plays him on, and his disposal isn’t good enough for quality transition out of defence.

if I had to pick a team to play a game tomorrow there’s at least 50-60 defenders in the league I’d pick before him which hardly screams elite to me

FWIW I think he’s being played out of position and would be better as an inside mid, but that is clearly not going to happen while Longmire is coach
    I agree that I don’t think he is ‘elite’ but I think you’re underrating his value as a defender. He had a seriously good season, especially the back half of it. I also agree he is being played out of position, he was an elite ball winning inside mid as a junior and you don’t just forget how to play. We get smacked and the middle and our defence do a great job of limiting the damage. Would be nice if we tried to correct the issue at its core though, which would require giving Mills an extended crack at a midfield role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk