Page 31 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Good to hear from you, Ludwig. Especially your optimistic footy related thoughts.

Incidentally, do they still have that garden with all the wacky concrete sculptures there near Nong Khai?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Each to their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Lets not forget that most of the phones NOT branded Huawei are also made in China.

I too have a Huawei phone and my every movement has been tracked by the Chinese government. I've heard that 3 of their agents have died of boredom and no one wants to be assigned to my case anymore.

If I substitute the words "United States" for "Chinese" in your post, Stevo, would it make me feel any better? I don't think so.

I know things are not going to improve when China takes over from the U.S. as the world's preeminent power, but it's not like the current Empire has been doing the world all that much good.

It was nice travelling with Nico from Chaing Rai to Nong Khai. It was my fourth trip there in 35 years, but 1st in 13 years, when I did it on bicycle. So this is was my first trip to Nong Khai by car. The route goes through some of the least touristed areas in Thailand and hasn't changed too much over the years. I was surprised by how few tourists there were in Nong Khai. I cycled past the 2 main tourist attractions in Chiang Rai this morning and noted that the number of tourists seemed down at least 50% from previous years. There's definitely a big drop in tourism in Thailand this year.

Conditions in the north of Thailand have been similar to Australia, dry and fire prone. We are expecting a very bad season for air pollution, following the record breaking pollution of last year. I'm off to Phuket next week for a few months just to have clean air to breathe and will likely be forced to moved south as extensive fires and smoke become the norm for this part of the world. I'm not happy about being a climate refugee. I really loved North Thailand. It was once a beautiful, friendly and relaxing place to live or vacation.

I'm very excited about our list and looking for big things from the Swans, if not this year, then next. I hope we can surprise a few and finish well into the top 8.
    Yeah, I shouldn't have said that......rather, I shouldn't have aired my 'foreign power grievances' on this thread. I probably don't know enough to be throwing advice.....and on that note, apologies to Nico for just that.

Veteran Site Admin
    Can you please take further discussion of phones, Thailand, or anything else unrelated to the preseason (or Swans in general) to Open Chat.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Can you please take further discussion of phones, Thailand, or anything else unrelated to the preseason (or Swans in general) to Open Chat.
    +1

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

As extensively reported by SeanM on Friday's training, I watched for only a short time - and endorse his report fully. As an added positive, I thought to match game was impressively full on with a deal of enthusiastic tackling, running and 'voice'.

Once again a complete absence of Naismith while I was there.

I think I saw Naismith walking around earlier. He may have done something inside later on. They did ruck stoppage drills on Monday, 3 vs 3 and 1 vs 1. I can't remember if he was involved.

Of the other ruckmen, Sinclair did not play in the short match. Early in the session he was doing a lot of 1 on 1 with the coaches, jumping against a bag. But he was involved in the drills and was wearing a fluro hat for the sim drills. Amartey was running laps of the oval with E. Taylor. Fox and Knoll did all the rucking in the match. I don't remember if McLean was involved yesterday but he was running laps on Monday.

Do you think Nico and I were driving through remote areas of Thailand for the fun of it? Of course not! We're working on the 2020 game plan and exercising due diligence by evading spies looking for the first opportunity to steal our secrets.

That's why we use Huawei phones, because if the Chinese intercept our calls they won't have the foggiest idea what we're taking about. Even English speaking folks can barely understand what we're on about.

All very relevant to the thread, once the motives are laid bare.

Veterans List
    I apologised and I think everyone had already moved on Liz.....your tiny lecture was not really necessary. All you achieved was firing up Ludwig!

I’m with Liz. It needed to be said

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’m with Liz. It needed to be said
    Actually, it was already over and didn't need to be said.....aren't we all ADULTS here? I see this childish 'protocol' based crap all the time at work.....it drives me to distraction.

Anyway, as the one who went outside 'protocol', I'll endeavor to continue to get this thread back on track.....interesting article on the Blakeys.

Coach, dad, 'best mate': How the Blakeys juggle footy and family

Warming the Bench
    Went down to training this morning.

It was a pretty light session with skills and intensity below previous visits.

Lap runners: Armity, McCarten, E Taylor
    Rehab: Ronke, Rowles, Clarke
    Not present: Franklin, Rampe

Big news is that Heeney has a guard on the right wrist and was restricted to doing some light cardio. Could not use the the right hand at all and was told off by Davis when he started to get too enthusiastic in some muck around kicks at goal at the end of the session.

Here is hoping that it is not too serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched a bit today. SeanM reported on a similar drill which today consisted of a kick (and mark) to 4 ‘Red team’ who needed to work the ball upfield through 3 ‘yellow team’ players.
    They could kick or handball.
    It tested their accuracy and skills, but also their vision and decision making.
    I noticed a couple of definite failures but mostly good outcomes.