Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Finals week 2 weekly discussion thread

#AFL Finals week 2 weekly discussion thread

Seems time to update and start the next week's thread.

Robbo says: "People want Chris Scott to fail". It's true. I do. Here's hoping the Eagles win on Friday night! And go the Giants v Brisbane. My updated preference is for the Giants to defeat West Coast in the GF. I guess if, as is more likely, it winds up being Tigers v Pies, that will be fun in its own way, especially for Victorians.

As it happens, I will be in Brisbane on Saturday night with my son and I have scored us some tickets to the game. I wasn't actually that keen but things just worked out that way. Will be my first time at the Gabba I think.

Senior Player
    GWS are on the "easy" side of the draw I suppose, but three away finals wins in a row in a herculean task. I thought they would go all
    feral in the first week of the finals because they always do, and they did and the Bulldogs were this years victims. Where they've struggled
    historically is the next game. They will need to channel Hawthorn and be "unsociable" on a weekly basis. All I think I can safely say at
    this point is that Geelong won't win the premiership, and Brisbane probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Seems time to update and start the next week's thread.

Robbo says: "People want Chris Scott to fail". It's true. I do. Here's hoping the Eagles win on Friday night! And go the Giants v Brisbane. My updated preference is for the Giants to defeat West Coast in the GF. I guess if, as is more likely, it winds up being Tigers v Pies, that will be fun in its own way, especially for Victorians.

As it happens, I will be in Brisbane on Saturday night with my son and I have scored us some tickets to the game. I wasn't actually that keen but things just worked out that way. Will be my first time at the Gabba I think.
    I think I’d honestly rather the Pies win it than the tigers . Would prefer the Lions beat the giants also , but I’m with you all the way on the pussies going down in straight sets ! Can’t wait to hear the excuse Scott cooks up , reckon the location of the game will be mentioned ( which is probably fair enough too ..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Besides Scott being the coach, I can't understand the Cat hate on here at all.....I actually see them as a Victorian version of our club. I don't want them out in straight sets at all, even though it is likely to happen.

Could those wishing for Geelong to disappear this weekend please explain your animosity.....I don't get it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Besides Scott being the coach, I can't understand the Cat hate on here at all.....I actually see them as a Victorian version of our club. I don't want them out in straight sets at all, even though it is likely to happen.

Could those wishing for Geelong to disappear this weekend please explain your animosity.....I don't get it.
    Me neither. I mean the coach is hard to love, but the players seem OK. Don't appear to have a second gig as a serial killer or
    anything untoward like that. The people at Avalon airport (that's Geelong, right?) were quite helpful when my golf clubs went
    astray last year. Some bloke even drove them out to the club in the middle of the night once they found them. That's good
    enough for me to barrack for them over West Coast.

Senior Player
    Enjoy! I lived in Brisbane 2006-2009 and went to the annual Swans away games. I liked the Gabba, it's not dissimilar in size, shape and capacity to the SCG.

I'm fairly neutral about this week. If I'm honest, I rather enjoyed the "unsociable" Giants. I'd like the Lions to do well, but they may be scarred after last week. Eagles look too strong for Geelong, unless there's some unexpected turnaround.

I think a Tigers/Pies GF would be alright. Tigers could be overconfident, Pies out for redemption, could be a good battle.

Senior Player
    …. and now Don Pyke is gone. Big turnover in coaches this year.

Yikes! Pyke gone! I heard it here first. Hope he's not the fall guy for others errors.

Re Geelong

I respect and quite admire them as a club and I used to quite like them. Not a second team, but would have favoured them over most opposition. I'm not sure why I've turned hostile. Chris Scott has a lot to do with it. Selwood a little (even though I respect him as a formidable champion). Don't like Hawkins that much. Probably have to admit to a little bit of pro non-VFL bias. Slightly resent the way they got Paddy Dangerfield and Gary Ablett so cheaply (but, really, good luck to them; I'd have been chuffed it was us). Plus perhaps, along with the Hawks (my least favourite opposition), they have been our great rivals these past 15 years. And, they've had enough success. (I realise the reigning premiers aren't success starved themselves.) I think the less success a club has had the more I wish them well (e.g. Melbourne who haven't had any success to speak of in my time following the game and Saints who have only ever won one flag). That's perhaps why I don't hate the Bulldogs the way most people on here seem to. The umpiring wasn't the team's fault. The only thing I hold against them was Easton Wood sliding into Hanners. So, that's my answer about Geelong. Good enough?

I think this easy side of the draw stuff is coming from the Victorian media.
    It is slightly easier from a GWS perspective as I think the Brisbane trip is less intimidating than a Melbourne trip.
    ...and there is a chance Richmond could be knocked out in the prelim.

But i doubt the lions think they are on the easy side of the draw.

Did anyone see this: Another Giant locked and loaded: Electric speedster re-signs - AFL.com.au Ian 'Bobby' Hill grew up in rural WA (Northam) barracking for GWS. What are the chances?!

Wonder if the Crows have their eyes on any particular coach to replace him? I can't see them going for Lyon or B.Scott - but stranger things have happened.

And what do people think about Don Pyke's future employment prospects? Could he get another senior coaching gig? I reckon he'd be a better bet than Brad Scott, and he has a better record.

Did anyone see this: Another Giant locked and loaded: Electric speedster re-signs - AFL.com.au Ian 'Bobby' Hill grew up in rural WA (Northam) barracking for GWS. What are the chances?!
    Very unlikely, but astute drafting all the same. He might get a game this weekend.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast