Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Finals week 2 weekly discussion thread

T. Greene must give Cameron a weekly headache.

Greenes a grub and I personally dislike players that play the game in the manner he does , especially considering the amount of talent the guys displays BUT it seems a little hypocritical that pretty much the exact same act a week later gets a suspension when it wasn't deemed worthy a week earlier.

The Charlie Cameron one was an interesting one. Amazing how many explayers came out in defence of the GWS players right to "test the injury " behind play. Again a grubby act in my view. While its perfectly acceptable to do this in the course of play while going for the ball , its disappointing for me that so many think its okay to hit / bump behind play.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Unless I'm missing something, there really didn't seem to be much at all in the Greene footage this week? I can't really see anything wrong, short of "he's at it again"?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    I think there is a bit of a "bunker mentality" out at GWS. It's understandable that they've developed this because of the sheer
    amount of criticism they've received from so many sections of the football world. Virtually all of them. It's been going on for about
    eight years now, and it would take a herculean effort to not be effected by it. And right now, all they can really do to respond
    to it, is to win. Going after Charlie Cameron, and Bontempelli, and Neale is an attempt to intimidate them, and stop them from
    playing well. They aren't the first team to do this stuff, and they won't be the last. It doesn't always work, but it often does and
    I think GWS are very desperate to win right now and will go to extraordinary lengths to do it. GWS are probably past caring
    whether the football world will like or respect them, and doing it for themselves and their families and small band of supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The AFL is fueling the anti-toby Greene vilification, the same way it allowed the same to Adam Goodes. He'll get booed heavily and, like Goodes, the booers will say it's because he's a dirty player, or a stager or whatever. But really they just hate GWS and non -victorians.
    Already they are claiming the umps are assisting them, yet they have lost the free kick count by 10 or so in each final.
    The Age actually reported the lions/GWS
    Kick the wrong way around to make GWS look bad.

This is all good and well, but the rule makes and adminstration are beholden to the Vic media.
    Oh dear.
    Barry, one day, I'd like to visit your parallel universe.
    Anti-Toby Greene vilification. Indeed. I think you need to look up vilification in the dictionary. This is NOT vilification in any way, shape or form.
    The little gubbygreene is being booed because he's a grub... perfectly OK to do so, along with booing anyone on the opposition going for goal, and booing the umpires when a wrong decision is made.
    When will you accept that the booing of Goodesy was racial. The AFL "finally" admitted that the Goodesy booing was racial, the club, the "real" supporters and even Goodesy himself said it was racial.
    Please don't compare the two. They are chalk and cheese.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, there really didn't seem to be much at all in the Greene footage this week? I can't really see anything wrong, short of "he's at it again"?
    I know TG is a bit grubby, however to give him a week for that trumped up charge is M. Christian reacting to outrage on SM, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    My point is, this is exactly the same justifation the Vic's have about Goodes.

I bet you could find that exact quote somewhere in the archives of Bigfooty.
    Firstly, this would not be all Victorian supporters' view on Goodes. In fact I would only say the minority.
    Secondly, I stand by my point that Goodes was not targeted by some perceived "grubbiness" - he staged for the odd free kick but it was because people didn't like an indigenous player speaking out against racism.
    I know you would disagree with this point of view and that's your perogative. Happy to leave it at that and not rehash the Goodes debate in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I know TG is a bit grubby, however to give him a week for that trumped up charge is M. Christian reacting to outrage on SM, surely.
    I consider it more like "making up for what they didn't do last week". He didn't really deserve to play against Brisbane.
    He needs a week on the sidelines to think about what he does with his hands, GW$ need to lose to the colliwobbles, then the rest of the team can say "we lost because you weren't there".
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.

Just revisit your source of "Toby Greene is Grubby".

Its gets bandied around that he has been charged by the tribunal many times.
    Fact: Most of these are fines for joining in a melee. Surely the most minor of infractions.

It gets bandied around that he's an eye gouger.
    Fact: He's never been charged with eye gouging. Even todays charge is contact to the face, based on vision that
    a) Doesnt clearly show a hand to the face. Just some random blur.
    b) Toby is on the other side of the pack, and couldnt see where his face was anyway.
    Its a far, far cry from the Raiders player that recently got suspended.

His karate kick rule, has been overturned once Reiwoldt got stung for it, and has been a common thing in footy for centuries.
    Which is the AFL admitting it over-reacted.

Yes he plays hard, yes he's on the edge, he's has an arrogant public image. But he's no where near a Ballentine, Rhys-Jones, Dermie, or libber.

There may be some good that comes out of this:
    1) Shaun Ryan never gets to umpire a final again.
    2) The whole MRO/Tribunal gets re-organised. Its been a farce not just for this, but for almost everything this year. Christian has to go.
    3) The AFL stop changing the rules/interpretations/crack-downs every round.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I agree. I don't like him either.....but if he doesn't get suspended last week, there's no way he should have even been reported this week. I've watched that footage, his hands are no where near Neale's eyes and now Fagen has said that Neale felt contact with his nose, not his eyes.

He will get off on appeal and he will play this weekend.

PS: Barry, Greene makes Ballantyne look like a saint.....compared to Greene, Balla is just a naughty little boy.....he's not a thug.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 16th September 2019 at 12:06 PM.

You guys are forgetting that "head high contact", whether it's on the nose or "in the eye", is STILL against the rules.
    Once you start to soften these rules, it becomes a free-for-all.
    We don't want that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I agree, I can't see anything more than a "face rub" and it looks less contentious than the previous week. So surely the same penalty as the previous week.

I'm sure both GWS and Geelong will appeal, all they have to lose is $10 000. Have to say the Hawkins incident doesn't get better with replays. Only defense might be "caught him high by accident as he was going down".

Aside from all that I thought Lions/GWS was a great game. Would have liked the Lions to get up, but early inaccuracy and later solid defense did for them in the end.

Seemed like fans on both sides were whinging equally about the umpiring on social media which probably means it was about right albeit rather over-officious in the first half. I honestly think some people prefer to whinge than watch the game. If they can sit through a pulsating, hard-fought drama-filled final quarter like that and their only comment is about umpires, well maybe they're missing something.

The prelims should be fascinating. Two teams that many would have as the anointed finalists, two teams with nothing to lose who will give everything.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast