Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Finals week 2 weekly discussion thread

I admit I am hypersensitive to (perceived) umpire bias since the 2016 finals series.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

Aside from all that I thought Lions/GWS was a great game. Would have liked the Lions to get up, but early inaccuracy and later solid defense did for them in the end.

Seemed like fans on both sides were whinging equally about the umpiring on social media which probably means it was about right albeit rather over-officious in the first half. I honestly think some people prefer to whinge than watch the game. If they can sit through a pulsating, hard-fought drama-filled final quarter like that and their only comment is about umpires, well maybe they're missing something.

The prelims should be fascinating. Two teams that many would have as the anointed finalists, two teams with nothing to lose who will give everything.
    Agree. The defence by the GWS back six in the last quarter was extraordinary. At one stage the inside 50 count in the last quarter was
    14 to 2 Brisbane's way, and somehow Davis & co held on. Will be interesting to see how the Lions back up next year with a tougher draw.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This could be the most childish post ever seen in RWO.
    Yeah, nah.

Just revisit your source of "Toby Greene is Grubby".

Its gets bandied around that he has been charged by the tribunal many times.
    Fact: Most of these are fines for joining in a melee. Surely the most minor of infractions.

It gets bandied around that he's an eye gouger.
    Fact: He's never been charged with eye gouging. Even todays charge is contact to the face, based on vision that
    a) Doesnt clearly show a hand to the face. Just some random blur.
    b) Toby is on the other side of the pack, and couldnt see where his face was anyway.
    Its a far, far cry from the Raiders player that recently got suspended.

His karate kick rule, has been overturned once Reiwoldt got stung for it, and has been a common thing in footy for centuries.
    Which is the AFL admitting it over-reacted.

Yes he plays hard, yes he's on the edge, he's has an arrogant public image. But he's no where near a Ballentine, Rhys-Jones, Dermie, or libber.

There may be some good that comes out of this:
    1) Shaun Ryan never gets to umpire a final again.
    2) The whole MRO/Tribunal gets re-organised. Its been a farce not just for this, but for almost everything this year. Christian has to go.
    3) The AFL stop changing the rules/interpretations/crack-downs every round.
    That's defending the indefensible at Olympic level.

As the Swans are not involved I want T. Greene playing for the pure theatre of it all in the PF against the Pies.
    Lethal reckons he should be playing if he’s any litmus test .

Senior Player
    This could be the most childish post ever seen in RWO.
    That is a massive call Barry. Just massive.

We've all said some pretty silly stuff over the years.

This is the internet, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    That's defending the indefensible at Olympic level.
    You are many things bloods, but Numero Uno, you are a proud Victorian.

Senior Player
    It does seem that a lot of Tobes' fines are for joining a melee. I think players should be fined internally by their club
    for NOT joining a melee and "flying the flag".

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Great last quarter by Geelong, Danger WAS huge......but Hawkins could be in a bit of trouble.
    Dangerfield was huge - he was the difference late in the game.

Hawkins has form for that kind of act. He did exactly the same thing when we played the cats. A forearm to the head of Jordan Dawson. Dawson was down for about 30 secs then got up and played on. Hawkins was fined but not suspended. He has been offered 1 week but the cats will appeal it. I think he has a good chance of getting downgraded to a fine if Princess Toby's antics from last week are any indicator.

Here is how toby's thing will play out.
    1. GWS will successfully appeal.
    2. GWS and Toby will receive death threats by the worked-to-a-frenzy Vic's
    3. GWS will refuse to play at the MCG due to player safety concerns.
    4. Match rescheduled to a neutral venue with no spectators (like soccer does). Spotless is free.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I think there is a bit of a "bunker mentality" out at GWS. It's understandable that they've developed this because of the sheer
    amount of criticism they've received from so many sections of the football world. Virtually all of them. It's been going on for about
    eight years now, and it would take a herculean effort to not be effected by it. And right now, all they can really do to respond
    to it, is to win. Going after Charlie Cameron, and Bontempelli, and Neale is an attempt to intimidate them, and stop them from
    playing well. They aren't the first team to do this stuff, and they won't be the last. It doesn't always work, but it often does and
    I think GWS are very desperate to win right now and will go to extraordinary lengths to do it. GWS are probably past caring
    whether the football world will like or respect them, and doing it for themselves and their families and small band of supporters.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

You are many things bloods, but Numero Uno, you are a proud Victorian.
    No I'm not. States and nations are meaningless abstractions to me. My tribe, however, is as real to me as viscera and blood. The Swans are my tribe.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast