Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umpires

Umpires

Season is done seriously animosity aside costs aside are we paying and what is delivered is it right.

I saw games which weren’t from
    Clubs we are associated with and it was deplorable

What are views and thoughts...

The Syd afl crew seemed to think it was a great series

I watched a few games both at the ground and GF's streamed. Agree some of the umpiring was ordinary but didn't really spot any bias.

Quite a few club umpires during the year do better jobs whilst there is always a few of these that finish high up and capitulate when appointed umpires control the finals matches.

Umpires were a mixed bag in finals, some really dodgy decisions.

Overall admin and organisation was sub-par based on previous years. Why was the AFL banner only brought out the weekend just gone for premiership winners? Where was it last week for the other grand finals? Then there was the Henson debacle for two straight weeks.

A lot to improve on at head office level over off season, so I don’t buy into their notion that it was a ‘successful finals series’.

I was going to post about it after finals week 1, that club umpires wouldve been a better option but thought better of it.

I think it was summed up yesterday by a ball being called out on the full that bounced a full metre inside the boundary. Umpire was on the spot too.

Can understand intepretation calls but something as black and white as that shouldnt be wrong. He copped it from the commentators on the stream too.

Almost Football Legend
    It's a tough & thankless job. It's hard to get umpires.
    Like everyone else, I shake my head in disbelief at some of the calls I see. I've seen some absolute howlers. But they're putting up their hand to do it, I'm not.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

I agree the standard can be quite woeful, especially in the lower grades, but I reckon the more they get abused the more they decide not to do it for the following season and then we get even less experienced and less capable umpires. Unless we can show some more respect to them and create a better environment then we will continue to have inexperienced umpires in games above their level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    It's a tough & thankless job. It's hard to get umpires.
    Like everyone else, I shake my head in disbelief at some of the calls I see. I've seen some absolute howlers. But they're putting up their hand to do it, I'm not.
    Yes they stuff up a bit but our players (and coaches !) do pretty ordinary things sometimes.

They have a go and l admire them for that...I'm not putting up MY hand either.

Regular in the Side
    Is the discontent with the GF prem div field umpires? Weren’t 2 of the 3 week in/week out NEAFL umpires and the other umpired 5 NEAFL games this year?
    It sounds like interpretation of the rules has pulled away from the spectators, players and coaches. More education and explanation seems indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
    ....... and it was deplorable s
    5 year - totally disagree. Watched a number of games and there was not a game where an umpire had an influence on the game. In the lower divisions, they controlled the games and made the right calls - different to club umpires through the year.

IMO we apply an unrealistic bar for umpires. In a game that goes for 120 minutes where there are making a decision every 10 to 15 seconds, we remember 2 or 3 mistakes and call the umpiring poor - this a 0.42% error rate.

At an elite level individual player stats include KIE and HIE (Kicks and Handballs ineffective). Many players are 25% ineffective and some as high as 50% - that's per player! This same unrealistic view of umpires rolls up to the AFL as much as at community level.

I am not protecting umpires but if you are going to being critical set the same bar for criticism at players.

Agree to disagree on that, there was games changed and influenced 100% clubs weren’t even in agreement at end of some games. Commentary from a heap of clubs indicated how bad it was across the board.

It is a thankless job but it is a job they are paid to do and they get paid well

One thing which resonated on the weekend and prior weeks was the common talk between a lot of clubs how bad.

Most clubs don’t agree on a lot of things but you will find there is a common theme about how far back the umpiring has gone.

It’s not a made up story it’s a fact, it is a massive issue which needs to be solved

It isn’t a overnight issue and we all know we need umpires but throwing money and saying it is great isn’t the way either, they need to work with clubs as well as themselves to make it better. I know of at least 3-4 clubs who have made offers to assist and have umpires train and work with them and have not seen them once

Senior Player
    When they first introduced club umpires I had Carl Fletcher come out and run the course for the entire club. He was astounded that we wanted to do it that way and we were apparently the first club in Australia to do this.

I did it for two reasons - one it qualified all who attended and two because it educated our players as to the umpires perspective.
    It really gave our guys a better understanding of the decision making process and opened up great two way communication on the night.

When I asked a year later for Carl to come again it was denied - apparently because higher powers didnt want too many clubbies - they hoped that we would end up with a few who did the task on a very regular basis. I understand their perspective but I strongly disagree because they failed to realise that our members didnt join to umpire they came to play. More interaction between clubs and umpires and education of the rules and interpretation cant hurt can it?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    When they first introduced club umpires I had Carl Fletcher come out and run the course for the entire club. He was astounded that we wanted to do it that way and we were apparently the first club in Australia to do this.

I did it for two reasons - one it qualified all who attended and two because it educated our players as to the umpires perspective.
    It really gave our guys a better understanding of the decision making process and opened up great two way communication on the night.

When I asked a year later for Carl to come again it was denied - apparently because higher powers didnt want too many clubbies - they hoped that we would end up with a few who did the task on a very regular basis. I understand their perspective but I strongly disagree because they failed to realise that our members didnt join to umpire they came to play. More interaction between clubs and umpires and education of the rules and interpretation cant hurt can it?
    Like anything in life you only get good at something if you do it regularly. The general consensus is that 1 or 2 club umpires over a season works best and I agree.

The only way to truly understand umpiring and what occurs on the field is to become a league appointed umpire. The Sydney AFL I can only assume have 60+ field umpires to choose from for finals. To conclude they are all duds shows a lack of understanding. The same thought process would call all politicians and police officers a waste of space too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast