Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Club Champion

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I note Jones didn't make the top 10!!! Was he there? No mention anywhere.
    The way the voting system works -rewarding consistency as much as brilliance - makes it very hard to make the top 10 if you miss more than a couple of games. JPK snuck into 10th spot after playing 19 out of 22 games. Dawson (9th) played 20.

Rampe missed one game, while I believe the rest of the top 10 (Hewett, Parker, Papley, Mills, Heeney, Lloyd, Aliir) played all 22 games. In comparison, Jones played just 17 games. He was in the top 10 (at 10th) in the penultimate leader board (ie about 3/4 of the way through the season).

Reid's absence from the top 10 is more notable, given he also played every game for the season, as well as being a seasoned, senior player.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Reid's absence from the top 10 is more notable, given he also played every game for the season, as well as being a seasoned, senior player.
    Reid should have polled better, especially with Buddy out half the year. Maybe a little into the interest in Daniher as a replacement key forward. I don't mind Reid as either a forward of a defender. He's a good player, but not elite, and having an elite key forward is an important part of success.

2019 Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    He's probably just getting lunch. And apparently the coffee is great there too....

There you have it.... 1,000 posts !

And not one of them about Tippo.
    He’s in town for one reason or another , perhaps to interview a potential draftee or draftees. I’ve heard we’re quite keen on a boy from the sandy dragons but his name escapes me ( from a lady Who works for a supplier of mine and is close with the Florent family ) .

The man was probably a friend or a Melbourne based recruiter.

Congrats on the milestone KT, I’ll shout you a coffee next time you’re in town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS I apologise , I meant to put the original post in the general footy thread ..

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I thought Craig Willis did a good job as MC.

The staff waited until people were going to their table before handing out the drinks. Did the old way (handing around while we waited to go in) produce problems? Perhaps a bit of mummying?

We galloped through the replays before the points tally, probably because there were extra awards. I like to see more of the players in action.

Teddy's farewell interview was a hoot. Horse's speech was pithy and a little briefer than usual I thought - still impressive and continuing to do a great job. I was impressed with Rampe's acceptance speech - a bit long and rambling but obviously heartfelt. He had to pause and gather his feelings a couple of times, but we filled in the gaps with applause. I think he got the point, namely that he is a much loved member of the club. No-one mentioned goalposts. And a great speech from Kirky.

The food varied from horrid (pork belly yuk!) to good on drinks and dessert. Mrs d and I sat next to Go Swannies - always nice to put a face to a fellow R&W contributor.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    He’s in town for one reason or another
    Danny Frawley's funeral was today. I imagine that was (at least part of) the reason for Longmire's visit.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Danny Frawley's funeral was today. I imagine that was (at least part of) the reason for Longmire's visit.
    Yes , i did just think of that while watching the news .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I thought Craig Willis did a good job as MC.

The staff waited until people were going to their table before handing out the drinks. Did the old way (handing around while we waited to go in) produce problems? Perhaps a bit of mummying?

We galloped through the replays before the points tally, probably because there were extra awards. I like to see more of the players in action.

Teddy's farewell interview was a hoot. Horse's speech was pithy and a little briefer than usual I thought - still impressive and continuing to do a great job. I was impressed with Rampe's acceptance speech - a bit long and rambling but obviously heartfelt. He had to pause and gather his feelings a couple of times, but we filled in the gaps with applause. I think he got the point, namely that he is a much loved member of the club. No-one mentioned goalposts. And a great speech from Kirky.

The food varied from horrid (pork belly yuk!) to good on drinks and dessert. Mrs d and I sat next to Go Swannies - always nice to put a face to a fellow R&W contributor.
    I thought Craig was a good MC too - made it seem a bit effortless.

And so nice to be seated next to Mr and Mrs dimelb! Lots of talking about the remarkable Adam Goodes - who appeared by video.

I went looking for Tom Papley after but couldn't find him - probably tired of 900 people asking if he'd be with us next year. But did get to thank Smooch for being so reliable for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Horse spotted just now in a bakery in Hampton , bayside Melbourne , eating a Pie ( not sure what flavour or whether there was sauce involved ) and talking to an older man in a suit . Courtesy of my accountant friend who was also getting a pie. Wonder what he’s upto ...

He went to Danny Frawley’s funeral.

Just noticed a curiosity in the voting: the club website is doing a countdown of the year's 10 best individual performances based on the votes players got used for the B&F count. Rampe was voted as having the equal best performance of the year for his performance against Essendon (ironically the game which was so controversial because he climbed the post) despite having unspectacular stats. What's interesting is that, although the 5 coaches gave Rampe 44/50 votes (which was more than any other Swan on the ground) for the B&F count, he only attracted 2 votes in the AFLCA voting - behind Parker (who got 10 votes), Hewett and Sinclair.

The AFLCA votes went like this:

10 Luke Parker (SYD)
    8 Orazio Fantasia (ESS)
    5 George Hewett (SYD)
    3 Callum Sinclair (SYD)
    2 Dane Rampe (SYD)
    1 Zach Merrett (ESS)
    1 Dyson Heppell (ESS)

Looking at that breakdown of votes: Rampe got 2 votes from one coach. Parker got 5 votes from both coaches, Fantasia got 4 votes from both coaches and most likely we gave 3 to Hewett, 2 to Rampe and 1 to an Essendon player. The alternative is that we didn't give Rampe any votes and only Woosha did.

To me it seems odd that there is such a difference between the way our coaches voted collectively in the B&F and the votes in AFLCA, however they are arrived at. I imagined there would be some collaboration for AFLCA purposes but maybe Horse does it on his own and he rated Rampe's performance less. Another possibility is that the two sets of voting are done at different times, one with the benefit of more time to reflect than the other and the review changed the perception. I would have thought the B&F vote would be the more considered, after having time to fully review the game. Perhaps Rampe's contribution was less obvious and required this closer scrutiny, rather than just stats. Then again if a lot of the value of Rampe's performance came from him marshalling the defence and keeping everyone organised, wouldn't this have been at least as apparent on the day? Perhaps not.

Another theory is that we deliberately obfuscate in the AFLCA voting because we don't want to give away to opposition what we value. But this seems less likely to me because it is a meaningful award that I would assume is taken seriously and approached with integrity.

Can anyone illuminate this discussion in any useful way?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123