Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Vision - Who's Going Where

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    No doubt the prem div comp took a knock with the introduction of the NEAFL, but I reckon the top of the comp has improved quite a bit over the past couple of years. UNSW and Sydney Uni have moved the standards up, which probably highlights the gap between the top 5 or so and the rest.
    The AFL don't appear to see Sydney AFL as a potential state league comp, but they should. It might take quite a while to get to that level, but it will happen at some point if the right steps are taken now to make it happen.
    The AFL and the individual prem div clubs have be looking at how to keep lifting the standards, so bringing the top teams down through a points system or whatever, to make the comp more even isn't the answer.
    Not sure that even works, but standards have to go up so the focus has to be on lifting the level of current bottom ranked clubs.
    Unfortunately, the impression you get is that there is more interest in Sydney footy in complaining the top clubs down than there is in pushing the bottom clubs up.
    The AFL appear to be working along those lines as well - it's easier and it fits current thinking.
    I agree with everything you say here, promotion relegation came in eventually after years of only a few asking for it and has been mostly good for local clubs I think but now more is needed to push the standard on. I think all the moaning about clubs on this site is often due to the lack of leadership from league to provide more direction for the future of Sydney footy - the points thing you mention is a case in point, flawed policy in the extreme as you say, no upside besides someone's KPI for head office who's working on "standardisation" but the clubs are letting it through I hear - how many Bulldogs player will move to play for Camden because of it I wonder.... On standard I would think the exposure to NEAFL - Swans, Giants, Uni, improves local players a lot as the standard of training, coaching and competition is way out in front of Prems week in week out. However the issue there is that comp is currently run just to give AFL clubs' lists a work out, not much else, it doesn't build a following for Sydney footy, not televised, not many drafted etc - as the Academy graduate pool increases the future looks better I guess but I hate the idea that Sydney footy clubs can't be part of the "development pathway" and be recognised and supported more as such.

One idea would be to make the Prem comp at least a bit smaller for a few years to drive standards up - possibly 6 teams (a left field idea would be having 4 Canberra and 6 Sydney teams or whatever combination but so many issues with that I realise) and do away with a Uni NEAFL side so players fall back into that improved comp (losing only top ups to Giants and Swans out of that player pool), with ability for clubs to be promoted into it when ready, or relegated.

Other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    I agree with everything you say here, promotion relegation came in eventually after years of only a few asking for it and has been mostly good for local clubs I think but now more is needed to push the standard on. I think all the moaning about clubs on this site is often due to the lack of leadership from league to provide more direction for the future of Sydney footy - the points thing you mention is a case in point, flawed policy in the extreme as you say, no upside besides someone's KPI for head office who's working on "standardisation" but the clubs are letting it through I hear - how many Bulldogs player will move to play for Camden because of it I wonder.... On standard I would think the exposure to NEAFL - Swans, Giants, Uni, improves local players a lot as the standard of training, coaching and competition is way out in front of Prems week in week out. However the issue there is that comp is currently run just to give AFL clubs' lists a work out, not much else, it doesn't build a following for Sydney footy, not televised, not many drafted etc - as the Academy graduate pool increases the future looks better I guess but I hate the idea that Sydney footy clubs can't be part of the "development pathway" and be recognised and supported more as such.

One idea would be to make the Prem comp at least a bit smaller for a few years to drive standards up - possibly 6 teams (a left field idea would be having 4 Canberra and 6 Sydney teams or whatever combination but so many issues with that I realise) and do away with a Uni NEAFL side so players fall back into that improved comp (losing only top ups to Giants and Swans out of that player pool), with ability for clubs to be promoted into it when ready, or relegated.

Other ideas?
    Albury and Newcastle City. Didn't win this year but did every other.

Almost Football Legend
    A few changes for the womens comps next year. North Shore, Penno & Manly go up to Prems. Newtown drop down to Div 1. Wollongong off to AFL South Coast.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

At least one change at Southern Power, with their Reserves coach leaving.

Will send shockwaves that news

Balmain have appointed Adam Clark from Sydney Uni to the Head Coach position.

Quote Originally Posted by adnar View Post
    Balmain have appointed Adam Clark from Sydney Uni to the Head Coach position.
    Adnar... could that see a few Sydney Uni boys make the way to the plutonium comp?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12