Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Vision - Who's Going Where

Almost Football Legend

2020 Vision - Who's Going Where

One season comes to an end, and a new one is just a few months away. No doubt plenty of player and coaching movements, maybe a few clubs adding or removing teams; and plenty more.
    Let the scuttlebutt begin!!

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Will be very surprised if Fosdike goes around again, particularly if rumours are true around UTS dropping to Platinum Division. Has been there a few years with not a lot to show unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    Will be very surprised if Fosdike goes around again, particularly if rumours are true around UTS dropping to Platinum Division. Has been there a few years with not a lot to show unfortunately.
    UTS in Plutonium..... surely that's not possible. They would win every Flag for the next 10 years.

Michael Hosking joins Camden as Senior Coach.

Wests are still under show cause, will they get there act together?

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    I thought they showed plenty of cause in the second half of this year.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Personally I think there is a bit of a gulf between the top 5 or 6 clubs and the rest in Premier Div and currently the comp is a bit boring outside looking in - although there are still upsets I'm not sure the overall standard week in week out is improving greatly year on year. Interested in others' thoughts as I see little local footy these days, just mostly streamed games and the odd final. Needs a shake up I think.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Personally I think there is a bit of a gulf between the top 5 or 6 clubs and the rest in Premier Div and currently the comp is a bit boring outside looking in - although there are still upsets I'm not sure the overall standard week in week out is improving greatly year on year. Interested in others' thoughts as I see little local footy these days, just mostly streamed games and the odd final. Needs a shake up I think.
    The advent of mature drafting by AFL clubs means that good young players who miss being drafted go to VFL, WAFL, etc looking for a second opportunity.
    When you combine this with the NEAFL, SydneyAFL has been hit hard for top end talent and overall standard. Imagine taking the top 30 players at Sydney Uni NEAFL and spreading that talent across the prem div clubs. The extra 3-4 top notch players at each club would lift the standard and interest in the competition no end. Prem Div was a better comp standard pre 2010(and keep going back 40+ years). A lot of former VFL/AFL players used to grace our competition. Not to mention swans reserve grade players who came to Sydney for a chance and decided to stay when they were cut. Now they just go to SydneyUni or interstate.

Is the exodus of talented players to other leagues (NEAFL, SANFL, VFL etc) an unintended consequence of the Swans academy.
    As young kids and teenagers they are told they could be drafted and they grow up looking for a professional AFL career, when they don't get drafted they head off to the other leagues looking to realise their ambitions. (Nothing wrong with looking to live out your dream).
    The flip side of course is that most of the kids in the academy program have an opportunity to become better footballers as a result.
    Hopefully these guys off playing in the other leagues will come back to Sydney, play locally and share their talent.

Is the exodus of talented players to other leagues (NEAFL, SANFL, VFL etc) an unintended consequence of the Swans academy.
    As young kids and teenagers they are told they could be drafted and they grow up looking for a professional AFL career, when they don't get drafted they head off to the other leagues looking to realise their ambitions. (Nothing wrong with looking to live out your dream).
    The flip side of course is that most of the kids in the academy program have an opportunity to become better footballers as a result.
    Hopefully these guys off playing in the other leagues will come back to Sydney, play locally and share their talent.

Indeed. I guess my view is I'm disappointed there is no plan to make Prem Div a more sought after comp. Not saying it can be turned into a state league level comp overnight, but I don't see one iota of initiative currently to take it forward quicker (just left to individual clubs).

Zero direction at top... points system for a serious comp yet it is a community comp... the league needs to aspire to make it a state league comp! Will take time but aspire to do it at least

No doubt the prem div comp took a knock with the introduction of the NEAFL, but I reckon the top of the comp has improved quite a bit over the past couple of years. UNSW and Sydney Uni have moved the standards up, which probably highlights the gap between the top 5 or so and the rest.
    The AFL don't appear to see Sydney AFL as a potential state league comp, but they should. It might take quite a while to get to that level, but it will happen at some point if the right steps are taken now to make it happen.
    The AFL and the individual prem div clubs have be looking at how to keep lifting the standards, so bringing the top teams down through a points system or whatever, to make the comp more even isn't the answer.
    Not sure that even works, but standards have to go up so the focus has to be on lifting the level of current bottom ranked clubs.
    Unfortunately, the impression you get is that there is more interest in Sydney footy in complaining the top clubs down than there is in pushing the bottom clubs up.
    The AFL appear to be working along those lines as well - it's easier and it fits current thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast