Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Finals week 3 weekly discussion thread

Great victory , nail biting finish but very tough to hang on like they did. The fact the josh Thomas goal wasn’t reviewed is a disgrace . If they kicked one more goal and got into a GF because of that , geez there would have to be a serious uproar .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Spot on! The commentary was very pro-Collingwood and I think it was not just that the commentators wanted an exciting finish to the game. The Collingwood comeback was exhilarating but so was GWS' domination in the third quarter. The commentators almost seemed disappointed when the Giants were building their lead!
    I, too, noticed the belated addition of "if you're a Collingwood fan" at the end of a few sentences but I believe it was James Brayshaw who felt the need to qualify his pro-Collingwood commentary. Doesn't matter if it was Luke Darcy or Brayshaw though - they're both mates of Eddie. The commentators possibly wanted a Richmond-Collingwood Grand Final but they're supposed to be giving an unbiased account of the game. I don't think the Giants got the credit they deserved for their underdog win.
    Yes, I think you're right that it was Brayshaw (for some reason I struggle differentiating his voice from Darcy, I have no idea why).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

It was Bradshaw , and he did NOT always add the rider “if you are a Collingwood supporter.”

Collingwood grosses $90mill per annum.
    Don’t know how much Giants do.

Barry, where art thou?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    It was Bradshaw , and he did NOT always add the rider “if you are a Collingwood supporter.”
    I didn't say he always did it. I said he did it a few times. I reckon there were two - possibly 3 - occasions when he said the ball was at the right end and then added "if you're a Collingwood supporter."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    How good was Zac Williams? BOG surely. Young indigenous bloke from the great town of Narrandera.
    Picked up in the rookie draft too.....a Sheedy project apparently. Great game for sure.

Am I warming to the Giants? I think I am....I just heard a story on ABC's 'Insiders". Apparently a GWS fan lost his wallet at the game and Jeremy Cameron found it. He tracked the guy down and returned it with an extra $50 in it with a note to "buy a GWS beanie and scarf." Nice work son.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I didn't say he always did it. I said he did it a few times. I reckon there were two - possibly 3 - occasions when he said the ball was at the right end and then added "if you're a Collingwood supporter."
    I noticed this too and just shook my head.....

Senior Player
    Everything now falling into place for GWS. Greene & Whitfield have had a week off to freshen up. Big question is will Davis
    get up, and if not, will they make Toby captain?. The sight of Tobes wearing the Norm Smith Medal whilst holding the Premiership
    Cup aloft likely to cause riots across Melbourne and cause the internet to crash.

Veterans List
    Everything now falling into place for GWS. Greene & Whitfield have had a week off to freshen up. Big question is will Davis
    get up, and if not, will they make Toby captain?. The sight of Tobes wearing the Norm Smith Medal whilst holding the Premiership
    Cup aloft likely to cause riots across Melbourne and cause the internet to crash.

You’d be surprised , I’m sure many victorians would prefer a Giants flag than another Tigers one .

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dear god! I hadn't even thought about that, but you're right- when Davis and Coniglio were both out for a game earlier this year (with Ward already gone for the season) Toby was indeed the captain!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    You’d be surprised , I’m sure many victorians would prefer a Giants flag than another Tigers one .

Yes, that's a point. Someone was saying they thought that 70% of the support at the ground will be for Richmond, but 70% of
    the support around Australia will be for GWS. They have a lot of finals experience and clearly have the fire in the belly right now,
    and they've always had the quality of players. I guess we'll see. I'm going to the game and looking forward to a classic.

I'm of the view that the score review should only be to overturn egregious errors and that if there's any doubt, they should just let the result stand.

But that "no-call" on the touched goal was a complete howler. I'm no expert and it took me 20 seconds to see that was touched. All the commentators could see that it was touched. The ABC radio commentators were saying on their 3-inch, standard def, low-contrast monitors, *they* could see that it was touched.

For the AFL to come out and defend that decision is completely ludicrous, and if the Giants had lost I would have completely done my nut. The completely mysterious thing, is that not 10 minutes later, they made a much harder decision regarding the ball touched on the line, and got it right! Why the AFL can't just admit that an error was made is beyond me.

Edit: The latest article I just read says that the AFL said the correct process was followed, and that it should have been called a point. Effectively they are saying that the system is as good as it can be. That's probably true - with current technology there is always going to be a person on the end of the call, and that means there will be mistakes. I'm ok with that, as long as they can acknowledge it's an error.

As for Green, legally he may have been in the right, but in every other way he was in the wrong. I'm not sad he got a week - I just hope he cleans up his act. I think the new tribunal system is actually worse than the old one. The fact that Green can get away with so many infringements without ever being suspended is problematic for me. But I'm glad he's playing in the GF and I'm looking forward to it.

Needless to say, go Giants for the GF. I would love to see Green to lift the premiership cup just to say "up yours" to the victorian football establishment. Happy days if Sydney can get back up there, along with maybe Port and we could have Sydney, Brisbane, GWS, Port, Eagles in the top 5 and no football in Victoria in September.
    Last edited by Beerman; 22nd September 2019 at 05:21 PM.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast