Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tiger V Giant$ Who are you supporting on GF day, and reasons

Giants obvs
    Toby G to win the Norm Smith

Senior Player
    I read this elsewhere. It has taken GWS eight years to get to a grand final, the same number of years as it took Port Adelaide.
    In that time West Coast had got to three. There are eighteen teams so in a perfectly even world each team would make a grand final
    every nine years.

You have to admire the way the giants have built that list. For all the want-aways, they have been able to get good draft picks in return.
    Only in the last year or so have they been able to build a culture where players want to stay. Eg. Kelly, Greene, coniglio signing big extensions. Even players like Scully didn't really want to leave.

Who knows, next year they may even be a destination club.

At the moment they are doing the heavy lifting in the Sydney market while the swans rebuild. It's turns out a perfect combination for the AFL.

I don't expect their support will grow by the massive leaps of 1996 and 2005 like the swans did, but it will grow.

This is the real fairytale, without umpire or home ground leg ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    You'll love this Annie

There’s a big big sound
    From a boardroom in town
    It’s the creation of the AFL Giants

You feel the deals a makin’
    As Tassie heads are shakin’
    Wondering why the Bloody Giants

We get the biggest salary
    And the highest picks
    We’re given much more than the rest

We’re the AFL owned Sydney GIANTS
    We’re more privileged than the rest.

And we will never surrender
    Our corporate ownership
    We’re born from a focus group.
    I've just given a standing ovation.
    Bravo.
    Bravo.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You have to admire the way the giants have built that list.
    Not really
    For all the want-aways, they have been able to get good draft picks in return.
    Getting good draft picks back is easy when they are 1st rounders wanting to leave. And they have that many gifted (in both sense of the word) 1st rounders, there’s no room for them all. Self-perpetuating
    This is the real fairytale, without umpire or home ground leg ups.
    They hardly need a leg up from the umps or home ground when the AFL manufactured them for success from the outset.

Go Tigers (without much enthusiasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I in the anti giants camp, always will be. I literally cheer for anyone playing against them, even Collingwood!

I understand the argument that a new team needs a few concessions but 100mil + from AFL, local, state and federal governments, as well as all the draft concessions was just too much.

Then they moved 30km east into Olympic Park because people in actual western Sydney couldn't care less about this team. They are effectively an inner west team, so far removed from their actual name and intended home. Just smacks of fake to me. Bet you none of the players, staff or board would've set foot in Rooty Hill or Blacktown, yet alone know where they are. They've just moved into swans territory, piggy backing on all our hard work, as opposed to spreading the gospel out west.

Then throw in their thuggish playing style, excusing their dirty play due to the fact they "play on the edge", I just can't stand them.

Go Tigers!
    Yes, yes, yes, Ralph.
    Except for the go tigers bit. They should have finished 9th.

- - - Updated - - -

I reckon that GS$ will be giving away free tickets from their allocation.
    They don't have enough members to cover the grant.

- - - Updated - - -

coniglio signing big extensions.
    ... didn't Gill "tell" him to stay?
    Oh wait. He said "it would be better if he stayed" and one week later, an extension was signed.
    Don't tell me for one second that the AFL don't run that club.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Not really

Getting good draft picks back is easy when they are 1st rounders wanting to leave. And they have that many gifted (in both sense of the word) 1st rounders, there’s no room for them all. Self-perpetuating

They hardly need a leg up from the umps or home ground when the AFL manufactured them for success from the outset.

Go Tigers (without much enthusiasm)
    There are only two teams who got the same sort of setup assistance to compare: GWS and GC. Did GWS succeed or GC fail, or a bit of both?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Yes, yes, yes, Ralph.
    Except for the go tigers bit. They should have finished 9th.

- - - Updated - - -

I reckon that GS$ will be giving away free tickets from their allocation.
    They don't have enough members to cover the grant.

- - - Updated - - -

... didn't Gill "tell" him to stay?
    Oh wait. He said "it would be better if he stayed" and one week later, an extension was signed.
    Don't tell me for one second that the AFL don't run that club.
    You are ranting like a bitter old woman Annie.
    I can just imagine you with your fists to the sky.

It will all be over in a few days.

On GWS selection, there is a lot of chat about coniglio and whitfield but is the left-field wildcard Johnathon Patton as the ruckman.???
    His knee is fixed and he's been training for a month.

Senior Player
    On GWS selection, there is a lot of chat about coniglio and whitfield but is the left-field wildcard Johnathon Patton as the ruckman.???
    His knee is fixed and he's been training for a month.
    I suspect that is beyond left field and somewhere out in the stands. Who would he replace? Mumford? Mumford survived Grundy,
    it can only get easier for him now. As with all GF's there will be some hard luck stories though. Whenever a team makes the GF
    they've obviously been playing pretty well as a team, so it'll be hard to drop anyone.

Warming the Bench
    It will be interesting to see how the umpiring pans out this weekend. Overwhelming publicity for Richmond so will the umpires play for Richmond. Or, is there a sense of destiny for a first premiership for the minnow of the competition.

A few of you have mentioned GWS thug playing style. I noticed in the elimination final (vs Bulldogs) and the semi (vs Lions) - as soon as the umpiring calls started to go the way of the opposition the GWS players got really aggressive (even thuggish). I suspect the CEO of GWS has had a conversation with Steve Hocking to remind him of the cheating umpires in 2016 - both in the prelim and the GF. We all remember Easton Wood playing 'the Captains role' in 2016. I can see Trent Cotchin taking on a similar role this year. He's not averse to taking out an opposition player. I hope GWS are awake to this.

I'm not very interested. I don't like the Giants, I can't support a team that supports eye gouging- that's beyond me. I also know people who once supported the Giants and then stopped because they thought their style of play was a bad example for their kids who played Auskick.- They got feedback from the kids BTW - The whole family are now Swans supporters...

And Richmond- Well I'm not fond of them either.

So BLAH....

I will be supporting no one on GF day.

I cannot stand GWS, players and supporters of their club - full of people who think their #%#%$^^% does not stink.

The AFL have supported them from year one like no other club and have deliberately penalised us (Swans) for being successful and daring in our recruitment. So I will have no pleasure is seeing them win and probably lots of smiles if they are thrashed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast