Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best line in a club song

Best line in a club song

Andy Mahr and Bob Murphy discussing the best club songs on SEN and asking listeners which 2 would make a GF. A caller suggested our club song because of the banjo riff in the middle and the line "Shake Down The Thunder From The Sky" which Bob and Andy said is the best line out of any club song. I also like how our song ends with Onwards To Victory!

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Andy Mahr and Bob Murphy discussing the best club songs on SEN and asking listeners which 2 would make a GF. A caller suggested our club song because of the banjo riff in the middle and the line "Shake Down The Thunder From The Sky" which Bob and Andy said is the best line out of any club song. I also like how our song ends with Onwards To Victory!
    There's not much genuinely poetic imagery in club songs, but that line surely is.

So true. I feel the club should use that "Shake Down The Thunder" line more prominently with their merchandise and apparel.

Veterans List
    And they should bring back the Ninja headbands for the kids. Don't know why they discontinued them after a year or 2 in the 90's. Looked great at the footy and kids loved them.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Our club song is adapted from the Notre Dame Victory March, and that particular line is one of a few that are unchanged from the original.

The second verse:

Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame,
    Wake up the echoes cheering her name,
    Send a volley cheer on high,
    Shake down the thunder from the sky.
    What though the odds be great or small
    Old Notre Dame will win over all,
    While her loyal sons are marching
    Onward to victory.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    There is a lot of discussion today about the GWS song. There have been funny memes created.

All I know is that once I hear it I can't get it out of my head! After the game last Saturday I kept hearing it on the way home, all evening, when I went to bed and every time I woke up. It lasted for 2 days. It was driving me crazy!! And it's going to happen again this weekend.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    There is a lot of discussion today about the GWS song. There have been funny memes created.

All I know is that once I hear it I can't get it out of my head! After the game last Saturday I kept hearing it on the way home, all evening, when I went to bed and every time I woke up. It lasted for 2 days. It was driving me crazy!! And it's going to happen again this weekend.
    The good old ear worm that keeps replaying. Among my "friends" we try to annoy each other with dreadful songs that become ear worms, songs like, Billy, don't be a hero, aaaagh, I've got it stuck in my ear now!

If the Swans adopted the GSW Giants' club song:

Well there's a big, big sight
    From the East in the night
    It's the sight of the mighty Swannies

They say we’re boring
    But our fans are roaring
    When they see the mighty Swannies

We’re not very fast
    And we run out of gas
    But we've got the biggest guns

We're the Greater Eastern Sydney Swannies
    We've got the biggest bums

And we will never surrender
    We'll fight till the end
    We're better than the Suns

Thank goodness GW$ didn’t win. Imagine having to hear their garbage song on repeat after the game?

The only thing missing would be a dancing bear and a troupe of Russian dancers squat dancing across the MCG! Worst song in the league!

They would have to play the words on the big screen with a bouncing ball to have anyone singing along with it

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Thank goodness GW$ didn’t win. Imagine having to hear their garbage song on repeat after the game?

The only thing missing would be a dancing bear and a troupe of Russian dancers squat dancing across the MCG! Worst song in the league!

They would have to play the words on the big screen with a bouncing ball to have anyone singing along with it
    I could scarcely disagree more. The lyrics are mediocre but the music is fantastic. I've been hearing it a bit the past few days with all those days and I love it. Possibly the best in the league, only the lyrics let it down. I don't claim to know all the other teams' songs but I quite like the Geelong lyrics. And I can't think of another line as good "shake down the thunder from the sky" which is poetic and excellent.

Each to their own. You can't account for taste.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    If the Swans adopted Geelong's club song:

We are Sydney, the greatest team of all
    We are the Swans, we're always on the ball
    We play the game as it should be played
    At home or far away
    Our banners fly high, for you and me
    Down at the SCG
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I could scarcely disagree more. The lyrics are mediocre but the music is fantastic. I've been hearing it a bit the past few days with all those days and I love it. Possibly the best in the league, only the lyrics let it down. I don't claim to know all the other teams' songs but I quite like the Geelong lyrics. And I can't think of another line as good "shake down the thunder from the sky" which is poetic and excellent.

Each to their own. You can't account for taste.
    Yes, I find the song to be an earworm. I don't mind the lyrics either; they're unsubtle, but that is fitting for giants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast