Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best line in a club song

Goes up to 11
    I kinda miss the quirky old "what though" from our song - was it officially replaced with "whether"? Of so, when?

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I kinda miss the quirky old "what though" from our song - was it officially replaced with "whether"? Of so, when?
    I think they just bowed to the inevitable. People have been singing "whether" since at least the 1960s, and let's face it, "what though" is an archaism that probably hasn't been in vernacular usage since before footy was even invented. It always sounded odd to me.

I think the song that gets played does say "what though" but I've noticed the players tend to sing "whether" in the team huddle in the rooms post-match.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think the song that gets played does say "what though" but I've noticed the players tend to sing "whether" in the team huddle in the rooms post-match.
    Last year all the traditional AFL club songs we re-recorded in digital format. It resulted in subtle changes to some songs, which didn't go down well with fans who preferred the original Fable bros recordings. In our case, the "what though" was replaced with "whether". Of course it was originally recorded with "South will go in and win overall", which "South" was overdubbed with "Swans" when the club relocated to Sydney. I still sing "South" as old habitats die hard

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/lis...son-2018-86088
    Last edited by KSAS; 30th September 2019 at 07:22 PM.

I still sing "what though". Force of habit

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by markynana View Post
    I still sing "what though". Force of habit
    Me too. And when I'm listening on TV (ie such that I can actually hear the words being sung), "whether" always jars with me.

Senior Player
    Not necessarily the best line, but "yellow and black" in the Richmond song is definitely the most memorable when sung.

I'll sing "what though" for the rest of my days. I understand why they changed it, but I don't have to like it.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'll sing "what though" for the rest of my days. I understand why they changed it, but I don't have to like it.
    Hear, hear. And cheer, cheer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12