Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: swans trajectory 2020 ?

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Yep was a big crowd and a twilight match, and a good atmosphere too.
    Ryan O'Keefe was on fire that day. One of my favourite memories, too.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    He was a great big game player. BOG 2005 Prelim v Saints with 4 goals and Norm in 2012 GF.

Senior Player
    I predict the Swannies will win 10-12 games next year. A moderate improvement over this year, providing the boys stay relatively injury-free. I think they'll definitely play finals in 2021 and might even challenge for the flag in 2022.

I don't think it is going to be linear.

I see other sides with five years plans. Where they will be top 8 in 2020, top 4 in 2021 and challenging for the title in 2022. I don't think it can be predictably planned out like that.

I think we just have to fight to make the top 8 every year and then see what happens. The competition is quite close and even the top teams go through periods of bad form during the season. Or are beatable in a one off finals game.

There are also a lot of luck with injuries. No team is going to have a strong enough squad to fully cover their injuries.

Did anyone notice what they said about Mills in the article on past top-10 draft picks?

Mills is a defender who could soon switch to the midfield
    That's interesting. It's nothing definitive, but combined with him training with the midfield group, shows that it's under active consideration. The one thing I can't understand is why we didn't pull the trigger on that option this year. Were they waiting for an injury in the midfield? It's not like there's a big gap in the half-back line that is forcing him to play back there we were pretty much at full strength.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Did anyone notice what they said about Mills in the article on past top-10 draft picks?

That's interesting. It's nothing definitive, but combined with him training with the midfield group, shows that it's under active consideration. The one thing I can't understand is why we didn't pull the trigger on that option this year. Were they waiting for an injury in the midfield? It's not like there's a big gap in the half-back line that is forcing him to play back there we were pretty much at full strength.
    He is viewed by Longmire and the match committee as a vital part of the backline, second only to Rampe according to the B&F votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    He is viewed by Longmire and the match committee as a vital part of the backline, second only to Rampe according to the B&F votes.
    Fair enough, but then why did he train with the mids, and why is the Swans site posting an article that he may soon move to the mids?

Maybe there's other reasons, or it's an idea they decided to not go ahead with, but it is curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Fair enough, but then why did he train with the mids, and why is the Swans site posting an article that he may soon move to the mids?

Maybe there's other reasons, or it's an idea they decided to not go ahead with, but it is curious.
    My understanding is that the idea was for Mills to transition to midfield, this year, but when it became apparent, that the experienced trio of Grundy, Smith and McVeigh wouldn't be playing much, then it was decided that we needed his mature head in defence.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Yep on fire that day - had to look up the stats just to remember how good his game was. 30 disposals, 12 tackles, 2 goals and even a hit out! His last couple of months of that season was something to savour - capped off by a thoroughly well deserved Norm Smith Medal on grand final day.

As Blood Fever said, truly a player for the big occasion. Hope we see him back involved with the club at some stage
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Because of the draw/fixture/whatever you want to call it, improvement is not a linear thing.

We should receive an "easier" draw this year, but who knows what the AFL will dish up. If we do receive an easier draw, and players such as Naismith, Sinclair, Reid and Franklin can play the majority of the year. I'm very hopeful of a top 6 finish.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    That's a pretty good reflection of why we finished 15th. He didn't have what I would consider a great year

Veterans List
    Season opener will be against the Matthew Nicks coached Adelaide, over there at 4:05 ACDT Saturday, March 21st.

They're a rabble....should smash 'em.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast